Author Topic: Did anyone played unpopular "theme" build(s)?  (Read 15882 times)

PhrygianDominant

• Developer
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone played unpopular "theme" build(s)?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 09:31:13 am »
We fixed that bug a few months ago (I think it was a part of a map glitch collection posted on our forums, can't remember for sure), it's just that we haven't released patch in a while so these fixes haven't reached the players yet. Sad to see him lose the run because of it, though. :(

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 11:38:49 am »
My worst permadeath run ever: I climbed over one of those piles of rocks that have a 7 AGI check. That character had only base 6 in it but because of the hopper steak I consumed a while ago (temporary +1 AGI) I could climb over. After picking up a few shrooms I was about to head back but the steak wear off leaving me with 6 AGI again. No problem I thought, I'm just gonna eat another one. Nope, I ate the last one previously. Cave hopper gear, junkyard surprise? Nada.

There was no alternative way out, I was stuck. Not dead but also unable to continue I had to abandon the run. I guess the next cave wanderer found a few shrooms and a human skeleton behind those rocks.

Rudest

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 03:21:43 pm »
My worst permadeath run ever: I climbed over one of those piles of rocks that have a 7 AGI check. That character had only base 6 in it but because of the hopper steak I consumed a while ago (temporary +1 AGI) I could climb over. After picking up a few shrooms I was about to head back but the steak wear off leaving me with 6 AGI again. No problem I thought, I'm just gonna eat another one. Nope, I ate the last one previously. Cave hopper gear, junkyard surprise? Nada.

There was no alternative way out, I was stuck. Not dead but also unable to continue I had to abandon the run. I guess the next cave wanderer found a few shrooms and a human skeleton behind those rocks.

Ha! Death by starvation in a game without hunger related survival mechanics is talent. Truly!

No, in all seriousness, I don't even think I could get mad if this happened to me. ...Ahem. Well. Maybe a few heavy disappointed sighs, but after a couple minutes I'm sure I'd be laughing. The primary motivator of playing anything ironman/permadeath format is the sense of accomplishment. The thrill, the excitement, and the risk are also certainly factors - but walking away with a story to tell, win or lose, is really the absolute best!

I've been thinking about trying to play something tanky for once instead of a glass cannon for my first attempt at Ironman in Underrail. Probably some sort of heavy-armored assault rifle user. Maybe I'll try to squeeze in persuasion- without sneak diplomacy would probably be pretty useful.

I've also loved the idea of a Psi-Ops sort of class. Someone trained in espionage but also has forms of psi trickery or raw psionic force to fall back on. Perhaps XCOMish with Psi, an SMG, and a tac vest. Or perhaps go with more of a Starcraft Ghost theme -using a sniper rifle instead.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:37:35 pm by Rudest »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 07:11:15 pm »
Best deaths in Underrail? Those from self thrown grenades that you are hoping to fix situation but they end up hitting you and killing you.. !   :) :P

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 08:00:06 pm »
Maybe an ironman run is the best way to get back into the spirit of playing this game, at least for the sake of retelling wacky death stories. The only thing that ever came close to that is getting blow to pieces by a mine because I placed a trap on the exact same tile it was on. My character never detected the mine until it was too late.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 06:31:29 am »
Ah yes. Muties and dogs running thru Depot A, blowing explosive mines and blowing you too! :P