Author Topic: finally starting! unusual build? (bow, stealth, thermics, persuasion+intimidat)  (Read 5743 times)

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Keep in mind that classic/oddity also has a large impact on perceived difficulty.

I remember my early runs which was all done on Oddity and because I like to explore I always hit long stretches of slow leveling starting around 14 when I usually went into caves. If you're on oddity and need some fast XP Core City is a great place to be.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
but then, you ask why another offensive in metathermics - it's because it gives me different damage type/attack options (along with some AoE) and effectively supplants that damage you are saying I'm missing out on from the lower PER xbow, doesn't it? (that's how it has seemed so far in playing, when I encounter an enemy that doesn't get hurt so well by bolts, I use more thermics.)  My will+int are high and thermics is pretty effective so far - add on traps and I barely take a scratch if I am smart when going into combat.
You can achieve the same just by using grenades, except they are a much cheaper than psi because:
a) you save on skillpoints, about 50 points in throwing is enough,
b) you save on stat points, because you need only 7 dexterity for grenadier,
c) flashbangs are a great aoe disabler,
d) molotovs don't require a feat to set things on fire,
e) emp grenades stun all things robotic & drain shield emitters. And later in the game plenty enemies run around with high shield emitters. And much later in the game you get to visit places crowded with hostile robots.

Effectively with grenades you exchange one damage type (cold metathermics) for three other types (emp, bio & expedition added plasma). It's not that metathermics doesn't work. It's just that by investing in psi for your character you are overpaying, because you could get more bang for far less buck.

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Nitpick - Cryogas grenades do cold damage.

(Yes, its not remotely equal to Cryo orb, lol)

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Nitpick - Cryogas grenades do cold damage.

(Yes, its not remotely equal to Cryo orb, lol)
You are right, I forgot about them! Gas grenades, so much wicked fun.  :D

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
I haven't had a chance to play much but I'm about to head out to do the first few quests in junkyard (damn, I wish I would have remembered to do more fishing on the way.)

I tweaked my projection a bit more accurately for what I'm aiming for after I did a little looking into skillcheck reqs and realized I should drop my INT + WIL to 10 so I can pop my PER to 10 and open up the rest of those feats for xbow (somehow I missed them before having 10PERC, otherwise it'd have been a no-brainer for it from the beginning, oops), here's what it's looking for being around at 20, if anyone cares:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAMGAwMKCgoAAG4AAABuU1EAUVM8IwAAAABuAE0yACsoASIewoBrNTgzTGrChd-_

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
You can achieve the same just by using grenades, except they are a much cheaper than psi because:

Yeah, I considered grenades/like throwing and will do them likely if I do a 2nd build.  Metathermics appeals a lot more and does more damage to more things and I've got the utility covered from the grenades for the most part, sure nothing beats an emp grenade, but, I've got bolts and traps and do okay against bots with this setup (so far.)

redivider

• Noob
    • View Profile
Dont sweat about what other people say, when I play crossbows I never take aimed shot and snipe (because they dont synergize with anything else, snipe makes bowyer and ambush and crit power useless and takes 2 feats since aimed shot is needed, and aimed shot is obsolete because 100% crit chance from ambush. Further more they cant use special bolts. Furthermore its just 2 attacks out of like 15 that you do in 3 turns. Furthermore snipe can only be used once per combat. Furthermore theres an average of like 5 enemis+ on dominating so i  dont care about instaggibing just 1. I could go on and on and on about it, yet every build you see for instance, will have aimed shot and snipe for crossbows = waste of 2 feats IMO). Just play whatever you feel like, youll realize what should/needs to be changed depending on your playstyle and difficulty and classic/oddity.