Author Topic: Is spending on STR stat enough to wield AR stupid for SMG build?  (Read 2192 times)

mallardisfruit

• Noob
    • View Profile
Hello, I'm just a newbie who just cleared depot A and reached just reached level 11 on normal.

I was using SMG build I found on reddit(https://www.reddit.com/r/underrail/comments/crcd8l/my_smg_guide_for_beginners_needs_expedition_dlc/), which was cool and felt awesome to go full-auto and rip acid dogs and mutants into swiss cheese, but now I want guns with better punch like shotgun and AR.

I searched for viable AR/SMG build with high mobility (low armor penalty) after spending 1 stat on STR (now 4), but most of the answers were 'you either go full or none at all' so I'm now wondering should I keep building my character toward 6 STR, or build a new character.

So my question is: Is 6 STR on smg build stupid choice? Or should I just make a new character for Shotgun/AR build? If so, can you recommend me one?

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Is spending on STR stat enough to wield AR stupid for SMG build?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 09:33:47 pm »
Well strength on SMG is only advised for full auto at 7. You could still get it if keep putting points there every 4 lvls until 24 (if you did not waste too many before) but it is going to take longer.

Full auto is still really recommended for AR, not so mandatory for shotgun build. You can perfectly keep the build, at 5 Str you unlock shottys and at 6 AR, 7 for more options. You can meet the wield requirements with food also, (+1 str) but you need the hard stat for the feat.

That way you can try more weapons if it is your first run, and decide later if you want to do a second run. Specially on normal since you do not need such an optimised char.

Or you can reroll now if you prefer, I'd you already passed depot A you won't have too much trouble doing it. A second time.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 03:11:44 am »
Not at all. 

If I ever do an SMG build, it'll be

S7/Dmax/A6/C3/P6/W3/I5, with maxed melee and versatility, and 80 points in guns for commando
*eurobeat intensifies*

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 02:47:57 pm »
To answer topic, I wouldn't say it's stupid, since it is a major damage increase. However, after playing hundreds of hours of gun builds I have to say why use an smg when your char is capable of using an AR. smgs may be able to put out massive amounts of bullets but AR bullets just shred once you hit level 14 or so. Using jhp or w2c at appropriate times just adds onto the carnage. I think part of the main draw of using an smg is saving stat points and skill points by gimping str and having massive bonuses to tons of skills.

Vokial

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:49:31 pm »
Well, he's using an SMG build, so chances are, it's with high DEX. And that feels a little wasted, as AR's don't benefit from them.
AR's are enough with DEX even lower than the starting amount of that build. For that reason, converting seems like a bad idea to me. It's better to stick with the original idea, or restart completely and focus on AR from the start.

I think part of the main draw of using an smg is saving stat points and skill points by gimping str and having massive bonuses to tons of skills.
High DEX might save you some points on Throwing ans dome Subterfuge skills, but AR builds definetly have more stats to spend elsewhere. They need a few points higher STR, but nowhere near as much as SMG's need DEX compared to AR's. So stat-wise, you'll definetly better off with AR and can have way higher PER for example amongst other things.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:53:07 pm by Vokial »