Underrail > General

Returning to the game after a long break, looking for some build suggestions

(1/7) > >>

bati:
Hi everyone

It's been a while since I've played this wonderful game and with the patch that came out recently I've been thinking it's now a good time to replay it. The last time I played I used a SMG spec ops character and it worked out great. I'm thinking of going with the same option again, but if there are any other good options that can utilize stealth and still have access to hacking and lockpicking I'm all ears. Fwiw I've also played a crossbow user in the past and thoroughly enjoyed that too. The only thing I don't want to do is micromanage buffs so if the build is so tightly tuned that it requires constant upkeep of food buffs then I'm not interested in it  :(. For now I'll be playing on Normal difficulty and save Dominating for the next run.

Here's my planned SMG build - http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQMOBwMJAwfChzIAAEvCh8KHYEEAAFpaWh1aAAAAAAAATyQmJ0hTGTsdFkY-N0k

Couple points I'd like opinion on:

- I thought about pumping throwing all the way to get ~20% crit on grenades but I think 10% base is enough for 1 feat point investment. Throwing accuracy isn't really an issue when you get stealth and can close the range.

- Gun Nut - worth it? The damage range on SMGs is pretty narrow so I don't think this feat is really worth those extra few points of damage. Could optionally replace with Paranoia, Quick Pockets, Sure Step, Power Management, Sprint, Escape Artist, Evasive Maneuvers

- 14 dex - I have no problem downgrading to 7.62 (I think it has the best type of ammo too iirc), the only goal is to maximize the amount of bursts per turn with a rapid reloader enhanced weapon.

- crafting disciplines - I feel like I'd need a little more investment here, been a while so I don't know how high the components go. Points from dodge could go here if needed.

Other than playing with SMGs again I'm also interested in trying out sniper rifles (read that they need a strong backup weapon which doesn't sound very appealing), psi (doubt it fits the criteria of having both stealth and decent lockpick/hack), the newly buffed pistol specs or a stealth knife/melee build - played a fists character in Early Access and loved it but I doubt a character like that could clear DC without major frustrations.

Thanks in advance for answers.

Fenix:
I heard usually people referred to Gun Nut as "dosn't worth it", that's all I can say.

mattu:
A few suggestions:

If you want to try DOMINATING, I recommend playing on Hard next, not Normal. DOMINATING is something else and if you haven't even tried Hard yet . . . well, I'd love to be a fly on the wall watching it happen, but I think you may be a little traumatized.

Why not try something different like melee? You can play a stealth/subterfuge melee character. Unarmed/fist is very strong (still). I thought knives were hella fun, not as strong, but fun.

I think your build is fine. Me, I'd do feats quite a bit differently, but SMG is very strong and you can do whatever sounds fun.

I wouldn't worry about crits on grenades at all, myself. I'd rather have Sprint than Three Pointer (or Ballistics, or Clothier, for that matter).

Most people would say Gun Nut isn't worth it, but part of the idea is to move points off INT and into some other stat. If you're going heavy crafting high INT regardless, I think it's fine.

I've been talked into the idea that SMG chars should pump DEX and not PER. I don't know offhand the sweet spots for DEX on SMGs--I'll leave that to someone else.

IMO you could do with quite less Chemistry (Mark IV grenades probably enough) and more of Mech/Elec/Tailoring. But you are probably fine with max 112 in everything. You do not actually need to craft the very best components you find. Q130 is not that much better than Q115. (I get sucked into spending time on this over and over again, so I know the attraction. Do as I say, not as I do.)

Other thoughts:

If you're already taking all that Chemistry (even to Mark IV) and already have Pack Rathound I'd put more points into Traps and blow me up some Lunatics.

49 is a crazy place to stop on Biology--one more point and you can extract Taurine to make Focus Stim, which is awesome.

Have fun!

bati:

--- Quote ---If you want to try DOMINATING, I recommend playing on Hard next, not Normal. DOMINATING is something else and if you haven't even tried Hard yet . . . well, I'd love to be a fly on the wall watching it happen, but I think you may be a little traumatized.
--- End quote ---

I'm keeping an eye on the Dominating thread here so I'll make sure to go with a spec that has even remote chances at clearing it  :D

--- Quote ---Why not try something different like melee? You can play a stealth/subterfuge melee character. Unarmed/fist is very strong (still). I thought knives were hella fun, not as strong, but fun.
--- End quote ---

I thought about going with this option but I think it would make DC a little frustrating. Been a while since I've played but I think last boss in particular was very melee unfriendly.

--- Quote ---I wouldn't worry about crits on grenades at all, myself. I'd rather have Sprint than Three Pointer (or Ballistics, or Clothier, for that matter).
--- End quote ---

Good point. With 20% crit under the old rules it meant that at least one enemy in a clustered group would die for sure, with 10% the gamble might be too much. Still, it's a relatively small investment for decent gain and it enhances the aoe aspect of the character which is otherwise somewhat lacking.

--- Quote ---Most people would say Gun Nut isn't worth it, but part of the idea is to move points off INT and into some other stat. If you're going heavy crafting high INT regardless, I think it's fine.

I've been talked into the idea that SMG chars should pump DEX and not PER. I don't know offhand the sweet spots for DEX on SMGs--I'll leave that to someone else.
--- End quote ---

If I need 16 dex I will certainly look into dumping some INT (and maybe another point of PER and take Snooping for the secrets) and cover it with food buffs when it's time to craft.

--- Quote ---IMO you could do with quite less Chemistry (Mark IV grenades probably enough) and more of Mech/Elec/Tailoring. But you are probably fine with max 112 in everything. You do not actually need to craft the very best components you find. Q130 is not that much better than Q115. (I get sucked into spending time on this over and over again, so I know the attraction. Do as I say, not as I do.)
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---49 is a crazy place to stop on Biology--one more point and you can extract Taurine to make Focus Stim, which is awesome.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, my crafting points are more or less placeholder. I remember pumping biology towards the end of my old run, I think it was for regenerative vest. I am pretty sure that my old character was also able to craft all the stims I needed.

--- Quote ---If you're already taking all that Chemistry (even to Mark IV) and already have Pack Rathound I'd put more points into Traps and blow me up some Lunatics.
--- End quote ---

I'm saving traps for my next crossbow guy because I know I won't be able to stop at one character, just like the last time lol.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hazard:
Gun Nut is thoroughly meh at best. Having 7 INT just for that one feat is a waste of an ability point, but if you're going to put 7 points in INT for some other reason and you have absolutely no other feat that you'd rather take instead of Gun Nut, then sure, go ahead.

Clothier is also, in my opinion, pretty bad. It only affects Aluminized, Black, Blast and Kevlar Cloths, and none of these are exactly critical components, except maybe Black Cloth if you want the absolute best Stealth bonus.

Crafting skills are kind of a problem for all builds that invest heavily into Evasion and Dodge, if you also want to have some Subterfuge skills. The best component quality you can get before Deep Caverns, Super Steel excluded, is I believe around 135, give or take 5 points, but components of this quality seem to be quite rare and often the highest you'll find in any shop hovers just below 130. The vast majority, or perhaps all, crafting skill requirements are quality * 0.8 or less, which would mean effective skill of 104 to be able to use quality 130 components, but any optional components in a blueprint increase the skill requirement so usually a somewhat higher effective skill is needed. Quality 160 Super Steel plates and whatever quality Infused Leathers are possible to get after their recent nerf obviously require higher skills as well.

Noteworthy is also the fact that these days many merchants can give you access to special stock if your Mercantile skill is high enough, but I personally don't know how useful that really is for crafting. They certainly have more stuff for sale and more money as well, but whether or not the things they sell are actually of better quality seems to be a bit unclear.

If you want something different, I've saved two of Wildan's Sniper + Assault Rifle builds:

First one is an offensive variant: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQcDCgQQAwPChwAAAMKHwofCh1REAADCh3YAAMKHAAAAAAAAASQ5OzUPFUpJQUcCM0s

And a more defensive one: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQcDBgoOAwPChwAAAMKHwofCh1REAADCh3YAAMKHAAAAAAAAASQ5OzUPFUpJAjNLYwg

They're not quite up-to-date, though: crafting with INT 3 is currently kinda crappy, since Junkyard Surprise can't give +2 INT anymore. This will apparently be changed back when the Expedition DLC is released and brings with it the +2 INT Hypercerebrix drug... unless that thing has steep crafting requirements by itself, which would suck a lot. These builds also have way too much Dodge in my opinion, and I'm not sure why both of them have 7 STR instead of 6, considering that the only AR that requires 7 STR is the Huszar.

Edit: I'd also recommend Hard instead of Normal, mostly due to it being a much more interesting difficulty setting overall. Normal is great for the first playthrough, but for reruns it's too easy, in my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version