Author Topic: Grant the player top initiative when starting a battle through a conversation  (Read 2186 times)

Coaxl

• Zoner
    • View Profile
A simple idea, as explained in the title. This is frankly just a quality of life improvement and doesn't actually make the player's job easier. For example, if I wanted to kill a non-hostile NPC who I could aggro through conversation ("I've come for your ugly head! *attack*"), then I could obviously do so through the conversation, but then I'd risk losing initiative. However, I could just as well initiate combat manually and attack without having a chat to begin with - I can think of only a single instance where I genuinely lose access to information by skipping the conversation, and even then it doesn't really matter. By manually initiating combat before even talking, I get top initiative anyways. So, might as well just ensure the player moves first when a fight starts because of a conversation option, so the immersion wouldn't have to be broken with this gamey little tactic.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
I agree.

Essentially, if dialogue option states Attack, then player should have initiative and surprise the enemy.

On the other hand if player action annoys the enemy combatant, then enemy should have initiative in the combat.

This can also be an initiative bonus or penalty.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
I do agree, I remember the first mission about retaking the outposts. I never talked to the guy since it would lose me the initiative, i'd just attack him.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
As far as I remember we already do this, but keep in mind that it's sometimes the NPCs that initiate the combat through dialog.

Which situation in particular are you referring to?

whoishigh

• Noob
    • View Profile
I've not gotten very far in the game, but I can confirm that the player doesn't always get the initiative when choosing the option to end dialog and "Fight!"

I've tested this just now with the bandits encountered on the way to complete Jack Quicksilver's package quest - at least one of the bandits rolled a higher initiative three out of my five tries. Previous characters had similar issues with M'lan Ratula and Vince both rolling higher initiative when starting combat this way. I can see why the player shouldn't always get the drop on enemies who are ready for a fight, but going stealth and starting combat without conversation pretty much guarantees the player a favorable initiative roll.

Coaxl

• Zoner
    • View Profile
I, for one, recall this happening with Blaine, where it is the player that initiates combat through conversation - but I didn't get top initiative. I'll watch out more carefully to see where exactly this occurs.