Author Topic: Pistoleer build  (Read 10965 times)

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Pistoleer build
« on: August 01, 2015, 09:01:09 am »
Any thoughts on what will make a perfect pistoleer build? Which attribute is more important, dex or perception? Can I safely dump Int or am I going to run into trouble with crafting later on?

Outposts quest was a real cakewalk to begin with. Let's see how powerful this will get.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Pistoleer build
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 09:47:35 am »
At least 10 PER for Sharpshooter.
Keep your DEX high as well. If you don't have specific gun in mind, 12 DEX is nice value to have, as it's a sweet spot for a couple of guns.
Another sweet spot is 15 DEX.
Take Gunslinger.

You either take 7 int for Gun Nut or dump it and have 4 extra points in STR. Someone did math and Gun Nut gives more damage on low levels and 4 PER gives more at high levels. PER also gives accuracy. Also Gun Nut works only with firearms variety of handguns. I'd take extra perception.
3 INT should be enough for your crafting needs. You may not be able to craft items with highest possible quality, i dunno. Wait for some expert players to respond. Hint: you can temporarily boost INT with junkyard surprise.

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 04:44:49 pm »
What do you think about weapon progression?  With Gunslinger feat the 5mm Hawker seems to be superior weapon for quite some time since you get to shoot 5 times per round if you max out Dexterity in the beginning. You can't construct very powerful energy weapons straight on.

My Feat progression so far
Gunslinger, Aimed Shot
Opportunist
Kneecap shot (very nice with opportunist)

Not quite sure on what to get next.

On psi-side Electrokinesis does a nice job.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:20:19 pm »
I think you are wasting time on trifles\I think you're obsessed on these issues (translator gave me this don't know right).
Grab 7.62, grab .44 - and kill all bastards.
First shot from .44, second from 7.62.

captainmeow

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 03:35:55 am »
here's a nice crit pistol build that branches into a pistol/snipe build mid game

starting build:

STR 6
DEX 8
AGI 7
CON 3
PER 10
WIL 3
INT 3

Then all points into guns, throwing, (you will be using grenades for cc quite a lot, mostly flashbangs and emps) dodge, evasion and stealth (because you have no CON) +3 more for whatever you want. I normally go with hacking and lockpicking because I don't like missing stuff and traps because it's nice to disarm them. Stealth coupled with high-ish AGI gives you fantastic alphastrike and the DEX/AGI combo gives you good initiative if you get caught out.

development:

First feats will be aimed shot and gunslinger (this is nice at the start but quite important later on) Make sure you max those first 5 skills EVERY LEVEL, or your build will fall to pieces - though you can stop with throwing at 80ish. Thrid feat will be recklessness. Put your first base point into perception and the next 3 into AGI for blitz later on. You can put that first point into INT if you like so that you don't lose hacking points, but personally I feel that this is a waste. Put your last 2 points into PER for a very welcome boost to guns at higher levels. Fourth feat is steadfast aim (absolutely essential), fifth is ambush (this is a crit build after all) 6th kneecap shot, 7th sharpshooter, 8th snipe, 9th critical power (huge powerspike here, especially when used with sharpshooter) 10th is rapid fire and 11th is blitz. From there you can choose what feats you want but I normally go with grenadier and nimble.

gear:

Grab a 7.62 ASAP. hammerer/hawker doesn't matter, just get as far away as possible from that 5mm piece of trash. it's great against the rats but anyone with DT not so much. This will carry you to junkyard. At junkyard, grab a .44 - there's a thug in the shack by the slums that always carries one. remember how i said gunslinger would be useful later? well gunslinger+8DEX will give the .44 an AP cost of 25, so you can fire that beast twice a turn. when you get snipe you should be at rail crossing, grab the druganov so you can open combat by deleting one guy with a snipe and another with an aimed shot. for armour just go leather black overcoat -> tac vest with black overcoat. preferably insulated as they have the lowest armour penalty. get tabi boots as soon as you see them, as long as they're not aluminized (they help a lot with kiting). and don't forget smart goggles for the bonus damage to special attacks. look for high frequency shields to defend against high-damage attacks (and coil spiders, seriously i hate those things so much) That's pretty much it for this build. And always keep by some W2C rounds for the tin cans.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:48:20 am by captainmeow »

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 06:33:34 am »
well gunslinger+8DEX will give the .44 an AP cost of 25, so you can fire that beast twice a turn.

Quote from: Blitz feat description
Grants you an ability that when invoked will instantly convert all your movement points to action points, granting you 1 action point for each 3 movement points, up to maximum of 20 action points.

Connect the dots yourself. Luckily there is the rapid reloader component but it's rather rare.

captainmeow

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 07:46:24 am »
well gunslinger+8DEX will give the .44 an AP cost of 25, so you can fire that beast twice a turn.

Quote from: Blitz feat description
Grants you an ability that when invoked will instantly convert all your movement points to action points, granting you 1 action point for each 3 movement points, up to maximum of 20 action points.

Connect the dots yourself. Luckily there is the rapid reloader component but it's rather rare.

I usually use blitz so I can get an aimed shot + rapid fire on particularly tough opponents.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 08:09:09 am »
Luckily there is the rapid reloader component but it's rather rare.

Dex 12 with rapid Reloader - 3 shots from .44, 15 AP cost. Add Adrenaline Shot at least...

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 08:17:13 am »
What do you think about weapon progression?  With Gunslinger feat the 5mm Hawker seems to be superior weapon for quite some time since you get to shoot 5 times per round if you max out Dexterity in the beginning. You can't construct very powerful energy weapons straight on.

My Feat progression so far
Gunslinger, Aimed Shot
Opportunist
Kneecap shot (very nice with opportunist)
5mm is nice early game for shooting rathounds but i replaced it with 7.62 at level 4 (11 DEX == 4 attacks) because it had problems with getting through DT.
But that was before 1.14. Now, with Expertise feat at higher levels, 5mm might be getting through DT just fine. But personally, instead of building fastest pistolero in Underrail i'd rather just use SMGs.

Recklessness, Ambush and Steadfast Aim are good, work well with Sharpshooter and Critical Power. Steadfast Aim works better with slower guns.

I would not take Hit and Run. With Sharpshooter you want to shoot first and then move.

Frank

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 08:49:53 pm »
How much luck did you guys have with the 44? Personally I think energy weapons is where it's at. Works particularly well with the whole crit thing. Plasma for tough single enemies and electroshock for groups. You also don't need kneecap with electroshock and it gives you the better opportunist buff.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 09:29:11 pm »
Firearms early on, energy weapon later.
But that don't mean I'm restricted to use my fancy .44 with rapid reloader. ))

Frank

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 09:52:34 pm »
There are very few firearm, energy weapon feats. I just think energy weapons outclass firearms so taking their respective feats is a waste.

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 01:54:11 pm »
Stealth or no stealth? Pump up evasion or dodge or ignore them? I recently finished the game with an AR-tank and I'm not quite sure how effective these skills are.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 05:54:25 pm »
Stealth+evasion, ignore dodge.