Author Topic: What build should I try next?  (Read 8129 times)

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
What build should I try next?
« on: August 04, 2019, 06:25:54 pm »
So I have been playing with a full psi character. I have completed expedition and I think I am nearing the end of the main campaign, and I have been thinking about what kind of character I want to play next. The problem is, there's so many I want to try and since it takes a while for some builds to take shape, I don't want to invest a lot of time and energy into a build that might not be the best fit for someone who is still learning.

I'm torn between:
An AR/Shotgun tin can build
A stealth trap/crossbow character
An unarmed character
Or a melee user with swords or spears

Which one should I try next?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: What build should I try next?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 06:36:26 pm »
Tin can AR is probably the simplest build to run, and it's also one of the more powerful.  That said, anything is going to be a step down from full psi.  If you want a gentle introduction to non-psi gameplay mechanics, that'll do, though the cost of ammo may surprise you if you play on DOMINATING.

If you just want to try something completely different, then go melee.  Gloves, swords, spears, sledge - whatever, they're all good.  But they require a very different approach to combat than psi or guns, so you'll get to learn several new tactics.

I can't narrow it down for you because i have no idea what you want to play.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 07:53:44 pm »
Tin can AR is probably the simplest build to run, and it's also one of the more powerful.  That said, anything is going to be a step down from full psi.  If you want a gentle introduction to non-psi gameplay mechanics, that'll do, though the cost of ammo may surprise you if you play on DOMINATING.

If you just want to try something completely different, then go melee.  Gloves, swords, spears, sledge - whatever, they're all good.  But they require a very different approach to combat than psi or guns, so you'll get to learn several new tactics.

I can't narrow it down for you because i have no idea what you want to play.

I have tried tin can builds before but they were my very first attempts at the game and thus not very good. Plus expedition just came out so I dropped my AR character. I doubt I will be ready for dominating anythime soon.

I really want to play a stealthy character and I have never done anything with crossbows before so I'm leaning towards that, but I'm worried about what will happen when I run into robots and other armored targets as they were hard enough with my psi character.

Swords and spears look cool, but since they have to get into melee range without heavy armor, I don't know if they might be really frustrating to play when fighting large groups of enemies.

I hear unarmed  is really strong in this game and I've never played an unarmed character in a RPG before, but again I don't know what my options are for fighting multiple enemies at once so I fear the character would just implode in a group fight. Also why are gloves melee instead of unarmed?  That seems weird.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 07:57:59 pm »
Also I want to say thank you for posting your psi build, Gortsby. Its the one I'm playing now and its awesome.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 08:20:53 pm »
So I have been playing with a full psi character. I have completed expedition and I think I am nearing the end of the main campaign, and I have been thinking about what kind of character I want to play next. The problem is, there's so many I want to try and since it takes a while for some builds to take shape, I don't want to invest a lot of time and energy into a build that might not be the best fit for someone who is still learning.

I'm torn between:
An unarmed character

If it's something you're willing to try you could look into the Jack of all Trades build. I changed it slightly from what's posted - the build is quite strong but it paces the game in a different way. It is viable for DOMINATING.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 09:21:39 pm »

I'm torn between:
An unarmed character

If it's something you're willing to try you could look into the Jack of all Trades build. I changed it slightly from what's posted - the build is quite strong but it paces the game in a different way. It is viable for DOMINATING.

While I think your build is interesting, I don't want to try and do everything as one character. It's more fun for me to say "here's what this character can do, here is what they can't do." and then play accordingly.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 09:38:27 pm »
Also I want to say thank you for posting your psi build, Gortsby. Its the one I'm playing now and its awesome.
Glad to hear it was useful =)

Regarding your concern about robots and high physical DR/DT enemies, I'll say that crossbows are going to be fine.  You've got special bolts for when you know that pure physical damage isn't optimal; you're going to have EMP grenades which, if you get enough Electronics to make MkIII versions, will basically take care of robots for you; you'll have traps.  And of course you'll have the delightful alpha strikes from ideal positioning that stealth can give.  Once you learn to manage engagement range I think you'll find crossbow is plenty strong to get you through the game.  Though, as I mentioned before, everything else is at least a small step down if you're used to full psi.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 10:08:59 pm »
Glad to hear it was useful =)

Regarding your concern about robots and high physical DR/DT enemies, I'll say that crossbows are going to be fine.  You've got special bolts for when you know that pure physical damage isn't optimal; you're going to have EMP grenades which, if you get enough Electronics to make MkIII versions, will basically take care of robots for you; you'll have traps.  And of course you'll have the delightful alpha strikes from ideal positioning that stealth can give.  Once you learn to manage engagement range I think you'll find crossbow is plenty strong to get you through the game.  Though, as I mentioned before, everything else is at least a small step down if you're used to full psi.

Yeah, I'm repeatedly blown away by how no matter what situation you find yourself in, psi has an answer for you. I will miss that, but if giving that up means I get to snipe enemies one by one from the shadows, or play as the Metro 2033 equivalent of Kenshiro, it will be worth it.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 01:01:42 pm »
While I think your build is interesting, I don't want to try and do everything as one character. It's more fun for me to say "here's what this character can do, here is what they can't do." and then play accordingly.

Well, different strokes, I suppose :D. I wouldn't say that it can do it all but rather is more of an adaptive combatant.

Anyways, if you focus on any single one of those builds, like for example pure Assault Rifles, or pure melee, you may actually find it a bit boring and/or constraining. The first build I beat DOMINATING with was exactly a Heavy Armour, AR Burst build and while it was strong, it was also quite invariant. But hey, if you want exactly that, go for it, man. Also, I want to point out that on DOMINATING there are some new additions of enemies that will change some of the combat encounters. Highly focused characters may actually struggle in different scenarios. 

If I had to choose any one of the ones you mentioned, though, I'd probably go with spears just because they offer the most base versatility. Even though you said you're not fond of spreading stats you can actually successfully integrate a single psi discipline with that and make a semi tin can with a Psi Riot Gear and one handed spears with lots of block. Purely theoretically - Metathermics, Melee, Electronics for decent shield, enough Biology to make poison stuff, enough Tailoring/Mechanics to make a good Regenerative Psi Riot Gear and some Throwing for support with poison caltrops/knives/nets/flashbangs/emp grenades. With a good head amp you can reduce Methatermic's cost a lot so the lower Will/Int won't bother you at all. A sort of a techno-scavenger that literally utilizes everything they come across :D. If you go for Kevlar Cloth with the Riot gear the character will be quite tough with block, shield emitter and bullet resistance and you won't have to worry about bullets or chems too much. You will be able to make metal Striders boots which will give quite decent MP.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 04:41:35 pm »
That...sounds awesome. I may do just that. Thank you, HulkOfSaurus.

Riggs

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 05:09:23 pm »
A sort of a techno-scavenger that literally utilizes everything they come across :D.
Seems like a perfect candidate to use the Tesla Armor. Wading into battle with electricity crackling around you shocking everything you hit with your spear and slinging lightning bolts at packs, stunning and making them vulnerable to crits.

Ravager

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 11:57:34 pm »
Your crossbow idea was good. It's definitely a different experience from Psi. You rely on special bolts for special damage and effects, and traps are a whole different ballgame than psi.

I've beaten Underrail with a knife/traps assassin build, a SMG/grenades commando, and a full-psi [Tranquility]. I've also gotten part of the way with a crossbow character, and a sniper.

Sniper is satisfying but slow. Crossbow is very unique, you really have to put yourself in the role. A knife/traps build is very stealth-reliant, and maximizes advantages from high dex.

You should try a stealth/high-dex build (Assassin / SMG commando) or stealthy Crossbow for a different experience from Psi.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 03:09:11 pm »
Something about stealth that I don't  understand, is it possible to go back into hiding once the enemy knows you are attacking  them? Seems like after combat starts, stealth is worthless as enemies can still see you.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 08:29:32 pm »
Something about stealth that I don't  understand, is it possible to go back into hiding once the enemy knows you are attacking  them? Seems like after combat starts, stealth is worthless as enemies can still see you.
Flashbangs are your friend, here.  Incapacitating enemies so they can't see you will allow you go to back into stealth.  Enemies will still know you're in the area, and will be actively looking for you, so you need to get away so that as soon as they come out of incap they don't spot you instantly, but yes, you can re-stealth in combat as long as you make sure that enemies can't see you.  Stuns and incaps will accomplish that for you.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 11:57:48 pm »
Flashbangs are your friend, here.  Incapacitating enemies so they can't see you will allow you go to back into stealth.  Enemies will still know you're in the area, and will be actively looking for you, so you need to get away so that as soon as they come out of incap they don't spot you instantly, but yes, you can re-stealth in combat as long as you make sure that enemies can't see you.  Stuns and incaps will accomplish that for you.

That helps a lot! Thanks.