Author Topic: Question on beginner "Tin Can" or Juggernaut Assault Rifle build  (Read 14648 times)

zion563

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Hi-just starting out with Expedition and really enjoying it (I had this game for a long time and decided to fire it up after Expedition came out)-man I really miss this type of game done well!
I am using a beginner friendly build from Destroyer I got from his Steam FAQ. You can see it here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/0/350543389011336163/#c350543389012268685

I had asked him a question specifically about taking the Suppressive Fire feat at level 4-it basically slows AP for enemies and boost your range skill, but a burst build likes to be as close as possible-it seemed like they were sort of opposing views. He was kind enough to reply that it is a bit outdated with Expedition and that I should ask on these forums as RL is keeping him away.

Specifically  "the build as is right now is slightly outdated due to the numerous new expedition options and various nerfs from patches (especially how smart module no longer apply to burst). If you have expedition, it'll probably be better to ask on the official forum and see if someone else can comment on a more updated Tin Can build"

Any and all help is appreciated-I realize this is probably a real "baby" build for you Dominators, but any comments are appreciated! (I don't even know what a smart module is).

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Question on beginner "Tin Can" or Juggernaut Assault Rifle build
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 02:08:20 am »
Suppressive Fire is still an awesome way to set up enemies to take advantage of Opportunist.  It's not the only way to get that Opportunist benefit, but as AR you're going to be bursting a lot anyway - so why not make it even easier for you to get more bonus damage?  The SF debuff also is pretty nice - it lets you worry a bit less about ranged enemies so you can focus on anyone getting too close, and the AP debuff may mean enemies get fewer attacks than they otherwise would.

Get both Opportunist and Suppressive Fire if you can fit them in your build.  They go well together, and are highly reliable.

zion563

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 02:11:08 am »
Suppressive Fire is still an awesome way to set up enemies to take advantage of Opportunist.  It's not the only way to get that Opportunist benefit, but as AR you're going to be bursting a lot anyway - so why not make it even easier for you to get more bonus damage?  The SF debuff also is pretty nice - it lets you worry a bit less about ranged enemies so you can focus on anyone getting too close, and the AP debuff may mean enemies get fewer attacks than they otherwise would.

Get both Opportunist and Suppressive Fire if you can fit them in your build.  They go well together, and are highly reliable.

Thanks very much!

Bier

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 01:14:55 pm »
I read the same guide about AR build some days ago because i also want to start an AR build (on hard).

I took destroyers executions and made a expansion version out of it:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HggDAwoNAwbCoFQAAAAAAFloAABxfk1ZbwAAAABgQkoBCCg7JjFiVRVJSmNFW8K1wqTfvw

With this u can hack and lootpick everything in normal game (except IRIS).
ALso u can pass all social skill checks in normal game.
And when i dindt mess up u should be able to craft nearly all possible items.
There are 91 skillpoints left. Maybe u could need them in expasion, i dindt play it yet. Otherwise u can go higher in throwing or put some points in stealth.

Theres one feat not used yet.
Im not sure if Expertise can be worth it. Would expertise be used on every bursthit? Then it could be maybe good.

Any comments on the build? Should it be changed more to changes in expansion i dindt realize yet?

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 04:33:19 pm »
Expertise is indeed applied every bursthit, but I prefer critbuilds since the smart nerf, if you take focus stim and have high quality seeker goggles you should have a reasonable crit score.

You should max out Full Auto and Commando specialization, then probably Opportunist: Slow.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 06:19:41 pm »
I have been wondering if the classic ar tin can build can be altered so that shotguns can be as a secondary weapon? I was thinking I could use ar's for range and shotguns for up close. What perks are essential for shotguns?

Bier

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 12:17:25 pm »
Expertise is indeed applied every bursthit, but I prefer critbuilds since the smart nerf, if you take focus stim and have high quality seeker goggles you should have a reasonable crit score.

You should max out Full Auto and Commando specialization, then probably Opportunist: Slow.

I thought something same about expertise. I wont take it then.

Thx for the suggestions about the specializations. Sounds very reasoned :)

Riggs

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 05:05:24 pm »
I have been wondering if the classic ar tin can build can be altered so that shotguns can be as a secondary weapon? I was thinking I could use ar's for range and shotguns for up close. What perks are essential for shotguns?

It would work okay, but I see it as redundant. Burst works really, REALLY well up close. Better to focus on just ARs and save the feats for either more defense or further utility. Plus, as a burst tin can, you should be wielding a <11 AP burst AR in one hand and a high AP hard hitting AR in the other to use your free burst on. Shotguns synergize far better with a highly mobile Sniper build as a replacement for the secondary pistol.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 02:47:41 pm »

It would work okay, but I see it as redundant. Burst works really, REALLY well up close. Better to focus on just ARs and save the feats for either more defense or further utility. Plus, as a burst tin can, you should be wielding a <11 AP burst AR in one hand and a high AP hard hitting AR in the other to use your free burst on. Shotguns synergize far better with a highly mobile Sniper build as a replacement for the secondary pistol.

I get that, it's just using ARs all the time is boring.

Riggs

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 04:46:00 am »

No argument here, Tin Can in general is a pretty bland playstyle. Really effective and safe, but oh man is it boring after a while.

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 02:58:15 pm »

No argument here, Tin Can in general is a pretty bland playstyle. Really effective and safe, but oh man is it boring after a while.

When does it become safe? I'm wearing 42/21 tungsten armor and I'm still getting ventilated.

Laughingman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 10:46:10 pm »

When does it become safe? I'm wearing 42/21 tungsten armor and I'm still getting ventilated.

It usually is damage resistance that matters, since you are afraid of those high damage number attacks. Also, position yourself so that you are not attacked by multiple enemies at once and ar tends to make short work of most enemies before they can wear you down.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 11:55:48 pm »
Wear metal helmet and boots until you can make better armor. 42/21 is pretty weak for tungsten, honestly.  You should be able to easily get your total physical DR up to 80% at which point you can start to really tank safely.