Author Topic: Doomguy build  (Read 2239 times)

Doomguy

• Noob
    • View Profile
Doomguy build
« on: July 17, 2023, 07:33:31 am »
Hi everyone and hope you are all doing good.
After playing Atom RPG I have been wanting to go back and play other games of a similar type and Underrail was one I never really gave a chance so I wanted to amend that.

My goal for the build is basically trying as much to be like the character Doomguy:
All types of firearms (mechanical 1st then energy weapons later) viable with melee for fun to crush my enemies and to be able to take on whatever the game throws at me with armor/constitution.

No Psi recommendations at all please. That will be my 2nd character :)
I don't mind points in persuasion/mercantile as those are benefits.

I honestly want to min/max to be powerful and want to know what are the actual dump stats in terms of builds because except for Will in regards to Psi and Agility for dodge/evasion etc. (I am probably incorrect) I think everything can be viable just like how my Strength and Dex are the same number and how Intelligence and Will are the same number.

Attached is a PNG file with my lvl 1 allocations just in case (was not able to post the HTML link of the character build tool)

Thank you all and I look forward to your recommendations and to have a good laugh with me because this game is fun but man is it tough lol.

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Doomguy build
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 08:12:56 am »
It's very hard (I woud say outright impossible) to make a min-maxed charater that uses more than 2 different kinds of weapons (not counting grenades), let alone making it guns/melee hybrid. Reasons:

- only two weapon slots (+ utility slots for grenades) available, weapon switching in combat is possible but costly, even with Quick Pockets feat
- each weapon type requires spending feats to shine, you need to spend them wisely

I would suggest playing a character that uses just two different kinds of weapons and throws lots of grenades. Viable weapons for combinations:

- SMGs and ARs both have very AP effective starting 2 bursts attacks thanks to specialized Commando and Rapid Reloader, they also debuff enemies thanks to Suppresive Fire. ARs don't require much stats or feats
- Energy weapons have powerful crits and special attacks, using Aimed shot and Point shot with Smart Electroshock/Plasma pistol do wonders
- Sniper Rifles have Killing Spree for masacring large amount of enemies during first turn
- Pistols have Bullet Time for one turn of godmode, great special atatcks and ignore evasion at close range, but they are costly feat-wise
- Shotguns are good all-around weapon, nothing special for hybrids except for Kneecap Shot but they can be your backbone when cool stuff of other weapons is on cooldown

Now, I imagine Doomguy to be highly mobile tanking killing machine so I would pick Sprint and Hit and Run, they both ignore armor penalty (kind of) when used together so as long as you are killing things you will be able to move and kill more, even in full metal armor set.

Also, Grenadier and Three Pointer for making things go boom.

Example build (shotgun/AR) made on a knee:
https://underrail.info/build/?HggHBwoIAwPCoMKgAAAoAABQUDwoZGRQAGQAAAAAAHhkSkk7HsKwwpYVGTkWPmNOHwjCtUTioIoC4qGHBOKnqgPip7QD378
(Added Yell for destealthing crawlers and more strength to wear supersteel armor)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 08:31:51 am by Turbodevil »

Doomguy

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 07:10:04 pm »
Thank you for the information :)

That all looks great and would be happy to use.

What would you recommend for my Level 1 starting setup? That is honestly the hardest thing for me to think about right now lol

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 07:45:47 pm »
That's always difficult for me as well :) Build is feat and stat heavy. I would probably start with 5 str, 7 Con and 8 Per, pump str to 8 asap, then con to 10. As for feats, this is full berserk mode. https://underrail.info/build/?HggHBwoIAwPCoMKgAAAoAABQUDwoZGRQAGQAAAAAAHhkORnCsB7ClhVKO0kWPk4fRMK1YwjioIoC4qGHBOKnqgPip7QD378

I would also love to squeeze Paranoia somewhere as well, do it if you care about being able to shoot first.