Author Topic: Versatile Versatility (Sword/Chem Pistol+TK) build help  (Read 1863 times)

Persimmons

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Versatile Versatility (Sword/Chem Pistol+TK) build help
« on: August 07, 2023, 02:56:45 am »
I started playing through Underrail for the... 5th time with a "One Turn Man" pistol build when I lost several hours of progress due to my own stupidity, and I decided to start a new character. OTM pistol is super strong but I found answering every problem with different flavors of "start shooting it" pretty dull. My favorite builds were always ones that threw around lots of different status effects and debuffs (pre-rework dedicated psion was a blast).

Anyways, I knocked out a quick versatility build, but I've never used melee or versatility before so I have no idea what I'm doing here, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Feat order and exact skill points not at all set in stone:
build/?FAUPBwMDAwcjHgBuAABTQjMAAFBuWiVJAC0ARgAAACYnwqM5DcKMBlbCkcKNwpkZ378

Basic strategy is to throw around acid entangle+TK stun+grenades then run in and hack things up with a machete.

*Any wasted attribute points? Where should I put my last 2, agility?
*Spec points?
*Any wasted feats? (Taking pack rathound no matter what)
*Any must have sword feats I'm missing?
*Would this be stronger with knives?
*Any other suggestions?

I know it's probably not *quite* optimal but I'd like to optimize this general concept, or something like it. Probably going to do my first Hard run with this.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 03:19:34 am by Persimmons »

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Versatile Versatility (Sword/Chem Pistol+TK) build help
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 10:59:52 am »
In general such build would work but I would switch to knives instead of swords. Reason: swords use lots of AP per attack (Flurry) and their damage ramp up when using exclusively swords. So, you will have little AP to do other stuff if going for highest damage. Knives, on the other hand, scale better with Dex which shoild be your main stat, since it reduces AP cost of both knives and acid pistols, gives crit to knives, initiative and skill points.

Knives are bad choice against armored enemies but you have acid and Electrokinesis for them. Knives are good with crit and (Premeditated) Electrokinesis has a feat that increases enemy chance of being criticaly hit, you can start your fight with that and see the results. Lastly, Acid Pistols would benefit from high crit chance of Ambush and PK's Telekinetic Proxy lit adjacent targets to trigger Ambush, worth digging into it.

Persimmons

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 04:54:53 pm »
In general such build would work but I would switch to knives instead of swords. Reason: swords use lots of AP per attack (Flurry) and their damage ramp up when using exclusively swords. So, you will have little AP to do other stuff if going for highest damage. Knives, on the other hand, scale better with Dex which shoild be your main stat, since it reduces AP cost of both knives and acid pistols, gives crit to knives, initiative and skill points.

Knives are bad choice against armored enemies but you have acid and Electrokinesis for them. Knives are good with crit and (Premeditated) Electrokinesis has a feat that increases enemy chance of being criticaly hit, you can start your fight with that and see the results. Lastly, Acid Pistols would benefit from high crit chance of Ambush and PK's Telekinetic Proxy lit adjacent targets to trigger Ambush, worth digging into it.

Makes sense, also more chances to proc cheap shots. Knives seem less feat dependent too. I suppose I'll swap out Flurry for Cutthroat and Onslaught for... does Critical Power stack with Cheap Shots? Is taste for blood any good? If I go for knives I'll have 2 more attribute points to spare as well, wondering where I should put those

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 02:15:22 pm »
I did sword + chem pistols and it worked fine, i just used pistols when flurry was on cooldown so high AP for sword wasn't really a problem
I'm Potoldski on discord