Author Topic: Stuck on final boss (Full Psi build) [Spoilers!]  (Read 1901 times)

PrincePetrichor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Stuck on final boss (Full Psi build) [Spoilers!]
« on: December 18, 2020, 12:21:23 pm »
I'm sure this isn't the first or last time this issue will be posted, but I am stuck on Tchort. I've got two of the closest mutagen tanks destroyed, and I can get the force field around myself directly in front of Tchort, but even with Adrenaline, I can't seem to burst him down with Implosion, Mental Breakdown, and Neural Overload. I've been focussing on Metathernics and Psychokinesis mostly.

Level 27 but I'm pretty sure my gear isn't great, as I haven't really done a lot of crafting, and just use the best gear for my build i can purchase or find. No Stealth or Sprint, and getting to the other tanks seems to be nearly impossible. My shields are about 265-300 as well.

Am I just irreversibly screwed? I could do the mutagen puzzle but I'd like to just finish the fight if possible, but I don't think I can. Starting a new build would be devastating after all this time and effort

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on final boss (Full Psi build) [Spoilers!]
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 04:42:05 pm »
Are you using TK Proxy with Implosion?  There's no reason to use Implosion - and not much reason to use TK Punch - without TK Proxy when fighting high health or high resist bosses.
Are you using grenades?
Do you have a Doctor's Belt equipped so you can use drugs during the fight easily?
Can you Innervate other abilities, like ThermoD?  It's not the "I win!" button it used to be but combined with grenades and other AoE it can be a huge help if you've got tentacles or other critters near the Eye.

Can you load a save from before you started the confrontation with Tchort? If so can you...
Make a Regenerative Vest? They're hugely helpful on that fight.  Same with Regen Mixture if you have the Bio skill.
Make some traps to help with the little extra critters?
Level up somewhere to get a few more skill points, health points, and another feat?

There should be a lot of ways to improve your performance on that fight.  Almost any psi build at level 27 should be able to handle Tchort, so probably you just need to try a few different approaches.

PrincePetrichor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 08:12:42 pm »
Are you using TK Proxy with Implosion?  There's no reason to use Implosion - and not much reason to use TK Punch - without TK Proxy when fighting high health or high resist bosses.
Are you using grenades?
Do you have a Doctor's Belt equipped so you can use drugs during the fight easily?
Can you Innervate other abilities, like ThermoD?  It's not the "I win!" button it used to be but combined with grenades and other AoE it can be a huge help if you've got tentacles or other critters near the Eye.

Can you load a save from before you started the confrontation with Tchort? If so can you...
Make a Regenerative Vest? They're hugely helpful on that fight.  Same with Regen Mixture if you have the Bio skill.
Make some traps to help with the little extra critters?
Level up somewhere to get a few more skill points, health points, and another feat?

There should be a lot of ways to improve your performance on that fight.  Almost any psi build at level 27 should be able to handle Tchort, so probably you just need to try a few different approaches.

Telekinetic Proxy + Implosion was very effective, got about half health off Tchort in one turn! However even with a successful Mental Breakdown proc, I still can't get his health down enough in time before Adrenaline wears off + Force Field going down. Pickled Psi Mushrooms aren't terribly helpful, as I seem to almost never crit. In several hours of trying, I think I had one Neural Overload crit, and a couple of T.K. Punch crits, but it just isn't enough damage to zone him out. Just by a couple hundred hp though, it was really close.

If nothing seems to be working, I'll reload a previous save and try to find a blueprint for a Regen vest. Bio is my least levelled crafting stat but maybe I can get a better Psi band...

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 11:14:03 pm »
I'm very confused by what you're describing.  If you start the fight with TK Proxy + Implosion, then follow with TK Punch, Tchort should be damn near done for.  Pop a psi booster; then, since you've said you're heavy in psychokinesis and metathermics, hit him with cryokinesis and finish with a pyrokinetic stream.  Next turn, if he's still alive, and if you've got Thermodynamicity as one of your feats, use another cryokinesis (or cryokinetic orb if there are a lot of little enemies nearby), pyrokinesis, cryokinesis, and that should be the fight.  Maybe chuck a few grenades to finish everything off.

Neural Overload can be helpful for high crit multiplier psychosis builds, sure, but you don't need to use thought control if you don't want to, especially not if it isn't one of your main schools.

edit: Regen vest isn't a blueprint, it's a component that you can use when making tac vest/riot gear/metal armor.  The "typical" full-psi armor is a regenerative psi beetle tac vest with some sort of cloth, or a sturdy psi beetle tac vest for SI builds.  If you have Tac Vest or Riot Gear blueprint already, all you'd need is to see if there's a regen vest laying about somewhere down there in the DC.  There's a lot of loot, so there's a pretty good chance you'll find one.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:19:41 pm by TheAverageGortsby »

PrincePetrichor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 09:03:31 am »
I'm very confused by what you're describing.  If you start the fight with TK Proxy + Implosion, then follow with TK Punch, Tchort should be damn near done for.  Pop a psi booster; then, since you've said you're heavy in psychokinesis and metathermics, hit him with cryokinesis and finish with a pyrokinetic stream.  Next turn, if he's still alive, and if you've got Thermodynamicity as one of your feats, use another cryokinesis (or cryokinetic orb if there are a lot of little enemies nearby), pyrokinesis, cryokinesis, and that should be the fight.  Maybe chuck a few grenades to finish everything off.

Neural Overload can be helpful for high crit multiplier psychosis builds, sure, but you don't need to use thought control if you don't want to, especially not if it isn't one of your main schools.

edit: Regen vest isn't a blueprint, it's a component that you can use when making tac vest/riot gear/metal armor.  The "typical" full-psi armor is a regenerative psi beetle tac vest with some sort of cloth, or a sturdy psi beetle tac vest for SI builds.  If you have Tac Vest or Riot Gear blueprint already, all you'd need is to see if there's a regen vest laying about somewhere down there in the DC.  There's a lot of loot, so there's a pretty good chance you'll find one.

I appreciate the advice, and currently I'm searching for the components to make a Regenerative Vest. Having trouble finding one in DC, and as I do not already have the blueprint for a Tactical Vest, I'm having trouble finding that as well. The carapace was easy to find of course. Obtained a better shield as well.

I'm kicking myself for not being more involved in crafting earlier on, but is it possible to get blueprints in DC?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 07:36:25 am »
I'm kicking myself for not being more involved in crafting earlier on, but is it possible to get blueprints in DC?
There are one or two, but generally no.  One of the more common truly legitimate complaints about the game is that it doesn't do a good job of letting first-time players know that once you go into DC< you have to make do with what you're carrying until you kill Tchort and can go back to the surface.

You don't need a Regen Vest to beat Tchort, it's just something that's helpful.  Maybe on a subsequent play through or something, if you haven't found one laying about.  Maybe see if there's a faction vendor you can buy things from?  It's been a while now since I've played and I really don't recall what all you can get from the Faceless and the Tchortists down there.