Author Topic: World Map  (Read 2181 times)

Mr Mono

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
World Map
« on: December 26, 2015, 10:15:12 am »
Hi there everybody, especially developers.
First of all, I'd like to thank you for this very nice piece of art that you made so far. :)

Now my suggestion: A World map.

I get that maybe the way of navigating through caves with nothing but a compas is a nice, thrilling part of the game and if you made it like this by will, then I don't want to argue with that. But my serious issue with this game right now is that even the main locations like "Junkyard Main Road" or something similar is hard to find if you want to stay inside the game for hours without switching to the wiki permanently...

Anyways, I'd like if you would think of 3 basic ways of adding something like a world map:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 10:17:11 am by Mr Mono »

Mr Mono

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: World Map
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 10:17:22 am »
1: (more work for you and less "Old-School-RPG feeling") Something Pip-Boy-like that shows you your current position, the (yet discovered?) environment and of course the big marks with known/told locations.

2: (more "Old-School-RPG feeling" and less work for you) Display the current coordinates in the HUD and add the ones of main locations (like city centers) into the wiki. Something like "You are at "XYZ - .... Somewhat

Mr Mono

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 10:17:57 am »
3: (maximum "Old-School-RPG feeling" and least work for you) Add a map into the Wiki such that some of us would print that and take notes on it, raising the Pen&Paper part of your game on a whole new level  :D. Just something coarse that allows the player to at least understand where he is and how to get to a location. This is the least that I beg you for; since the HUD does not display something like "You are currently walking through Lower Underrail" it is very hard to follow an order like "Search for this in that particular area"

phobos2077

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:59:53 am »
I think maybe just a simple 3D-like image of main known locations of caves, lower and upper rail would be nice to see in game (as an inventory item?) or in wiki. It would be logical and immersive, since you can fast travel to all those locations by metro/ferry from the moment south rail is unblocked.

gerahmurov

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 03:43:05 am »
+1. I'd really like to see a World Map as a chain of Locations with Names and Connections between them corresponding with compass (so I can guess how I should get in the needed place - i.e. east turn here and north turn there).
Also there should be states Unfound (the black spot on map)-Undiscovered (like when there is location but full location not revealed - so I wasn't everywhere)-Discovered (full location revealed).
Also you should mark end-of-line locations differently. Like if I'm in the last location in the chain mark it as such. So I will know from glance after week of holidays that it was last location, I shouldn't discover it further.
Also there should be manual Marks available by clicking on location - Normal, Exclamation Mark (something interesting like locked Locker), Skull (there is too powerful enemies there). I guess these three will be enough.

For now it is a big pain to navigate in the caverns and even in the Core City due to labyrinth of small locations.

I also think that local maps aren't needed becuse locations are small. But world map is a must have in a large connected world.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:52:04 am by gerahmurov »