Author Topic: Freeing Sharp and the boys unseen (spoilers)?  (Read 4170 times)

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
Freeing Sharp and the boys unseen (spoilers)?
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:49:16 pm »
I wonder if there's a way to free the Rejects in the Institute of Tchort's secret research sector without having to kill guards and consequently turning the faction hostile (since it's a controlled zone, even stealth kills will not prevent you from being spotted), or if this option is reserved for a violent playthrough.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 06:50:57 pm by TΛPETRVE »
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

youen

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Freeing Sharp and the boys unseen (spoilers)?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 04:02:31 pm »
Well, I was going to post exactly the same question, and then I found yours, without answer sadly. So far, I managed to free them without being seen (by telling them to jump through the hole in the west wing after using the hidden ventilation shafts), but then they get killed by the guards. And as you said, it's not possible to remove the guards without all tchortists turning hostile. I wish there was a way to create a diversion...

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:19:21 am »
This is just a guess (because I have solved that quest by killing the guards) but have you tried blowing something up to create a diversion? Some NPCs will run to investigate if there was an explosion within their hearing range.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 11:30:55 am »
This is just a guess (because I have solved that quest by killing the guards) but have you tried blowing something up to create a diversion? Some NPCs will run to investigate if there was an explosion within their hearing range.

You can avoid detection this way but rejects will still get killed.

Dizzy

• Zoner
  • How to catch a unique rabbit? You neek' up on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 11:47:28 am »

Is there nowhere you can blow it up further away? So that way there would be enough time?

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 02:07:50 pm »
On the other hand, if you kill all the tchortists, the rejected won't even acknowledge that. You still have to discover the secret vent for them to "sneak out", otherwise they won't leave.  ::)

youen

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 12:45:45 pm »
I tried the diversion, and it worked :) Here is how I did it: when you're in the cells corridor, exit it toward east, turn right, then right again. Follow the corridor, you'll arrive at an intersection with a corridor on your left (south), red squares (zone change) on the front (west), and a vent trap on the right (north). I threw a grenade as far south as possible, then blocked the way from the east with a psi force field (to force tchortists to have a longer path to go at the grenade location and buy a bit more time), and then ran (with sprint ability + combat mode) in the vent. From here you go north and out of the vent; you're back in the cells corridor (you should open the cell gates before throwing the grenade), go quickly talk to Sharp so that they leave... And they were able to, just before the guards came back.

I double checked that Tchortists didn't know it was me ; going back to the university they didn't attack me, everything still normal. Another good hint is that it didn't trigger the tremors.

So, it feels a bit hacky and almost an exploit, but it works. I don't know if the psi force field was necessary or if it can work without it. Don't use traps to block the way because as soon they see the traps (even if they don't get hit) they turn hostile (i.e. tremors start). Also, you can use caltrops to block a way (if they see it they'll take another path sometimes), without turning them hostile, but if for some reason they walk on it (and they do more often than not), then they do turn hostile.

Also, I don't think there is a quest related to this event, but maybe I'm wrong? And out of curiosity, is there a way to see them again later?

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 04:14:39 am »
I couldn't get this to work. Couldn't even get the Ekrixphore patrolling the cell block to move away using grenades. It seems from the dialog with Sharp that you should be able to get the rejects out of there in a stealthy fashion, but an hour's worth of messing around didn't get me anywhere. The inability to off any of the Rassophores without aggroing the entire faction is problematic.

Edit: Finally got it to work using a TNT charge just west of the explosive barrels at the southern end of the central corridor - near the ventilation shaft. Had to lay it just after the patrolling Recombinant walked past or else he identified it as a trap laid by me and everything went to hell, but it drew the attention of every Rassophore in the area. Process for me was to lay the charge in stealth, sneak back into the nearby ventilation shaft, take a shot of adrenaline, bolt straight up to the ventilation exit near the cell block, and then run around the corner and talk to Sharp to get all of the rejects to evacuate. The first time I tried it some of the rejects ended up having pathing issues squeezing past each other to get into the northeast part of the area where the escape route is, ended up trying to path all the way down south to get around and getting shot, but subsequent attempts worked.

This area should possibly be made partially protected to increase the margin for error slightly.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:44:20 am by Sanger »

Dizzy

• Zoner
  • How to catch a unique rabbit? You neek' up on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 03:42:07 pm »
Wouldn't mind seeing a patch to improve this sequence.

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 07:09:29 pm »
I tried to free them during the faceless invasion but it proved to be not possible so I just went ahead to enjoy the 'sights' of the butchering of the Tchortists... Oh the irony that they would be culled by the "degenerates".

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=627246129

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=627246160

I need to make another 'trip' like that one with a stealth character and see if I can get some of 'em noble robes off the mangled carcass of some bastard tchort noble just for the sake of having a nice 'addition' to the collection.
"We don't have to dream that we're important" ~ Robert House, CEO of RobCo.