Author Topic: Option for nightvision effect  (Read 1486 times)

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Option for nightvision effect
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:41:44 am »
I think it would be cool to have an option to disable the green screen effect from night vision goggles; maybe instead, just have a status effect icon.

Nothing terribly wrong with the effect, I guess, but I think it's a tad unpleasant to need to choose between the game being traffic light green and being able to hit things from a distance (at least for most of the game before having like 200 effective guns and super high perception).

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Option for nightvision effect
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 06:07:20 am »
There's a middle ground if you like, while you wait to see if your suggestion gets implemented - you don't need night vision very much if you use incendiaries and flares all the time. Indeed, if you've picked up Ambush, it might even be helpful to light things that way.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 01:57:16 pm »
Agreed with OP.
Perhaps only creatures should be colored green, something like infravision in Baldur's Gate & friends.
Turning everything green makes sense in FPP games where player sees through PC's eyes, not so much in Underrail.

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:00:38 pm »
There's a middle ground if you like, while you wait to see if your suggestion gets implemented - you don't need night vision very much if you use incendiaries and flares all the time. Indeed, if you've picked up Ambush, it might even be helpful to light things that way.
Oh, I definitely use incendiary grenades at every opportunity on builds with throwing because it's (in my opinion) one of the most fun things in the game, haha.
Putting down a bunch of bear traps in a room, tossing napalm after napalm at the poor saps that get caught and then shutting the door is probably the pinnacle of this game's combat for me.

Only problem is that if you don't put like 50+ points into throwing there's a good chance you'll just explode yourself (or, with flares, give your enemies an outstanding chance to shoot your dumb fat face), so in that case I use NVGs.

And for the record I don't like green NVG effects in first person games either; in those I find it's usually pretty much pointless, with the darkness having no effect on enemy AI and gameplay like it does in UnderRail.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:45:41 pm »
As long as it is an optional... option, I am ok with it :D.

I quite like the green light.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 03:36:29 pm »
Actually it affects gameplay - you can't see which zone is dark and which is illuminated, can't see if camera noticed you, so it's not a harmless change...