Author Topic: Brown stuff on guns + plant life  (Read 3508 times)

Twiglard

Re: Brown stuff on guns + plant life
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 11:28:11 pm »
[...]

That would require adding new equipment to work in such areas, like oxigen tanks or regenerative cartriges for gasmask.

Also, let's not get too far into environment lore, As  you think about it more -  this world become  less believable.

I think there just aren't assets for flora. There are usable mushrooms/flowers (?) that grow on walls. They're there because there's a specific need for that entity to exist. We could assume the areas are habitable without the assets existing, just like cities in RPG's have way too few regular residents, agriculture, etc. (conservation of detail). Walls look bluish to set an appropriate mood to the exclusion of creating a fully believable environment. But then see:
  • Fallout 2 cities barely have residential space
  • Fallout 2 The Den cut residential area
  • Arcanum doesn't have enough agriculture
  • There was originally no toilet in Star Trek's spacecraft
Games took from Chekhov just like movies and television did. Becoming formally aware of the basics of Chekhov's paradigm totally changed the way I perceive movies and tv shows.

Wood can survive for centuries if taken good care of. In one of the neighboring flats there is a proper antique desk, nothing like what you've seen.

What moisture levels are we talking about? I'm curious, doing some material tensile strength research.

I would recommend playing Geneforge saga instead. At least first ones. It's where Spiderweb shined, before Vogel felled in love with Bioware story model

Personally i found both Avernum and Avadon kinda boring and tactically lacking (how much time can you bear fighting same-y group of spiders?). But i didn't play ALL of the games from those series, so maybe i missed something good.

YMMV. Personally I couldn't play Ultima 6, the way it aged. The earlier Avernum games are like that basically. Avernum 6 is fine but it's one of the worse in the series rpgcodex says.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:44:45 pm by sthalik »

STEN

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 09:31:10 am »
To sthalik:
I agree with  you on applying  willing suspension of disbelief and The Law of Conservation of Detail, and size of location and other such  elements  doesn't bother me.

But still there too many other matters which raise too many questions about viability of game environment and setting (from basic biology and medicine to industry and production).
Just me opinion, YMMV, as you pointed out.

sthalik

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 11:12:20 pm »
But still there too many other matters which raise too many questions about viability of game environment and setting (from basic biology and medicine to industry and production).
Just me opinion, YMMV, as you pointed out.

I can imagine it like that: Biocorp found ways to make it viable in the first place. The tech to sustain most basic human needs was simple enough that even trashy locations like Rail Crossing got established. The infrastructure isn't detailed on-screen, but if Checkhov didn't hold then game authors would have no problems making up assets and general ideas.

Also note that Arcanum has no toilets. None at all. Beds and containers, sure. But no toilets or outhouses anywhere. Conservation of detail says people don't poop.