Author Topic: Savegame smoked  (Read 2192 times)

white_wolf87

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Savegame smoked
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:24:27 pm »
OK, first I'm new here so if this is just par for the course I'm sorry to be a newbie, but...

I started a new game about 2 days ago. I'm in the GMS compound.

After the latest update, i loaded up my save. I cannot save or transition areas. In essence, the savegame is broken.

Please don't tell me I have to start all over because of the update. Please tell me this can be fixed.

EDIT

Alright, I turned autosaving off, and it definitely has something to do with that, as I was able to transition after turning it off. However, I kind of like the autosaving, so I'd like to get it back. Manual saves work, quicksaves and autosaves do not.

Here's three error logs I found in the Documents\MyGames\Underrail:

EDIT 2

Also confirmed this problem persists in a new game created after the update.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:49:31 pm by white_wolf87 »

white_wolf87

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Savegame smoked
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:51:56 pm »
This never happened before the update though, so I'm at a loss as to what the outside process could be. Like this never happened before.

white_wolf87

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 01:00:33 pm »
OK, for whatever reason, reinstalling the entire game worked. Auto and quick-saving working now from the old savegame.

Sometimes the old tricks work.

white_wolf87

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:31:33 pm »
For the love...

It wasn't reinstalling the game that did it.

For whatever reason, AVG is somehow, after the update, blocking the function as epeli described. I had momentarily disabled it and forgotten that I did that before I reinstalled, hence why I thought what was going on was fixed by the reinstall.

I've added an exception in AVG for the underrail .exe, but that didn't fix it either, so at this point, I either have to play w/o AVG running, or figure out how to get AVG to stop soft-blocking my autosaves. If anybody knows, that'd be great.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 01:38:34 pm »
Just turn off these malicious auto-saves dude, in almost any game I played it always did more harm thn good.

white_wolf87

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 03:46:13 pm »
I'm not familiar with AVG, but can you add an exception for your Documents\My Games\Underrail\ folder and subfolders?

I tried that, didn't work. It's something very subtle that I can't pin.

I'm just going to disable my anti-virus while I play underrail for now. It doesn't require a live internet connection and accessing the wikia from the steam browser as a game reference is highly unlikely to give me a virus.

Bloxyest

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 12:21:52 am »
Hey just wanted to pop in saying that I'm having the same problem on my end as well. I really wanted to play Expedition with no problems but this is a bummer for me. I know I can just disable autosave on transitions and save manually, but its still a pain knowing that I cannot quicksave. uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't work and neither does setting the game as administrator. Disabling my avast antivirus doesn't seem work either. This problem wasn't happening a year ago when I last played it, so I'm out of ideas as to whats causing it.

also trying to delete saves in-game produces an error as well.

EDIT: another thing to note is while saving manually does work, it does not create a thumbnail for the save, leaving it black, probably has to do with the error log having denied access to create it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:28:47 am by Bloxyest »

Bloxyest

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 04:04:54 pm »
I've found a solution (at least for me, not sure how AVG works). I went and made a backup Underrail folder in my My Games folder and deleted the old one so that the game could generate a fresh folder. after creating a new character and transitioning through the intro I got this popup from my avast

I clicked allow app and I could quicksave and transition as needed. after doing that I went back into My Games folder and replaced that new Underrail folder with the backup one (the one with all my saves), and now everything works as intended!

I'm not sure why I wasn't getting the popup before making a fresh Underrail folder though... weird.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:17:11 pm by Bloxyest »