Author Topic: npc sight range longer than the players  (Read 3122 times)

nosaM

npc sight range longer than the players
« on: November 22, 2019, 11:38:36 pm »
Nobody likes being sniped by enemies you can't even see, only really a problem in expedition were there are more open spaces.

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: npc sight range longer than the players
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 12:27:16 am »
You sure that they're not just stealthed?
Sniper enemies usually has high stealth and high PER, and they'll shoot target on sight

nosaM

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 01:01:41 am »
Nope a lot of them are not stealthed as they keep on firing shots after they get the first shot off, if they were stealthed I would see them after the first shot. Anyway I think I would have found a stealthed sniper when throwing about 30 flares to get the ambush crits.

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 01:07:29 am »
Yea, I don't know if this is a bug or not but it happens. I am pretty sure when npcs are aligned they share vision on the map so that's why the snipers can shoot you when they're out of your sight range. Not a dev so idk tho.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 12:47:31 am »
Enemies have a smaller sight radius than the player, but their max attack range is farther than the players.  You may have noticed that the player can only see 14 squares away, while some weapons have a range farther than that, yet you can only shoot a target up to your sight range (except immobile targets like explosive barrels I think).  This is intentional on styg's part and it's supposed to be a kind of balance, also it's supposed to make it so being shot by a sniper feels like being shot by a sniper in that you can't actually see them shooting you. 

So, you'll never be attacked by anybody that was never in your sight range to begin with; if you're being sniped, that person has been within your sight radius before at some point (may have been in stealth though). 
*eurobeat intensifies*

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 03:46:40 pm »
NPCs will attack you at max range if they are aware of you.

You can observe the same phenomenon with stationary turrets which you, the player, can target in the fog of war, provided you first scouted them in your actual visible range.

tyrtix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 12:51:21 am »
i was often killed by both sniper rifle shots AND crossbow shots not only out of MY sight range, but even outside weapon range: for example, the sniper at the stolen train one-shotted me at start of combat while i was 6 tiles away from north wall. I always have to reload game when i'm in areas with snipers unless i start combat before the enemy so i both have initiative and can run to cover, or i'm just ded even by using a very good riot armor...heck, once i was killed even with the same riot armor and a shield up with over 300 energy, and i was playing at normal difficulty.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 10:18:01 am »
So, you'll never be attacked by anybody that was never in your sight range to begin with; if you're being sniped, that person has been within your sight radius before at some point (may have been in stealth though).

Not necessarily, they can be alerted to your position by other NPCs that were in your sight. But, yeah, for better of for worse, this is working as intended.

nosaM

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 06:59:45 pm »
In my opinion I think it's for worse, I think it should be changed to npcs that are in currently in the players sight instead of were, so they can't attack you unless they have someone else spotting the player currently. At least something like that would be more fair.

Stavrophore

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 09:26:08 pm »
In my opinion I think it's for worse, I think it should be changed to npcs that are in currently in the players sight instead of were, so they can't attack you unless they have someone else spotting the player currently. At least something like that would be more fair.

That's a good idea. Like Squadsight in xcom. It would be at least more fair[still unfair, but more fair for sure].