Author Topic: Skinner and gun nuts in 2019  (Read 2363 times)

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Skinner and gun nuts in 2019
« on: November 24, 2019, 06:29:20 am »
Is it actually worth to take it? I didn't see any significant difference, outside of the "secondary" effects from infused leather, and even that doesn't really affect so much. Is it only worth to take after securing near-max quality leather and SuperSteel
Same with gun nuts, is it worth to auto pick it on crafter build, or its only good enough for sniper and shotgun?

Also little off-topic, is there any nerf on durability usage? It seems that I used more repair kits than before (I.e that free 44 hammerer already broke around hopper quest vs near junkyard before) or is it simply because of more critters along the way
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:31:46 am by cypherusuh »

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Skinner and gun nuts in 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 07:47:35 am »
I would never take any of those feats. They are okay enough for what they do, but feats are limited and there is always a better alternative.

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 06:29:51 pm »
A while ago Styg nerfed infused leathers so that

1. you can't get as high quality leather as you used to. There is now some kind of cap on the leather quality based on super steel quality - you can't really go above 160. Before it added quality based on the base leather and the super steel, so high quality ancient rathound leather + high quality supersteel could get you to like 180+ quality leather.

2. Infused leather doesn't scale linearly at high quality levels. It sort of tapers off.

Before these changes I would've said skinner is good for a lightly armored fist fighter because it could boost your main weapon, armor and boots all by a significant amount. Now IMO it's next to useless. Gun nut is just bad and always has been. Maybe if it boosted lower range by 15% also it could be just ok, but as it is now - badddddd.

tyrtix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 01:06:00 am »
While gun nuts always works on any shot you take, it guarantees a very low bonus on any firearm, too low to be interesting, even with specialization: for example, any special shot you can get with a feat (point shot, critical and so on) gives out an incredibly larger bonus than gun nuts, and then you should stack on top of that, that you can also increase those shots damage by using smart goggles and similar devices.
To be of any usefulness, gun nuts should have a way better capacity with specialization, for example by giving both low and high damage bonus for each point you put in.

Skinner is mostly worthless, thou iirc items you make with that leather values are better, and they sell for more money the last time i've checked this...overall, not worth: i think that anything short of metal armor is a lot less useful as armor, and while at least riot and tac vest have their "specializations" and useful for something, leather is just worthless for basically any build. Want to use leather? it's because you need to keep armor penality low, but to be even partially efficient, a leather armor need to have some additions and need to be high ql good leather, means you will end up getting the same armor penalty of a basic riot armor (20 ap) or basic tac vest (15 ap), so...it just does not make sense.

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 01:31:03 am »
So I guess there's few incentive to run with 7 INT, other than Bowyer and scientist build. And since there's drug that increased INT, running as low as 5 int is still good enough for crafting in general

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 02:14:39 am »
Skinner isn't a total waste. It's actually better now because of the diminishing returns on high-end infused leather quality, in that it lets you get your effective quality up in the 180-200 range in a way that's simply not possible with the raw materials.  It's not an especially good feat.  I have for years said it should be rolled in with Clothier, because if you could get both effects for one feat, then stealthy crafters would get real advantage from the feat, but even just as it is now it's OK.  If you plan to wear leather armor a lot, it's not a bad choice at all.  The quality bump is just enough that on DOMINATING you don't have to farm Heartbreaker Serpents - you just use whatever leather you happen to find on the first serpent you kill, throw in a mid-upper quality SS plate, and your infused heartbreaker leather turns every locust attack to 0/0 and you get to ignore the debuff.  That's not terrible.  It's also, admittedly, not great.

Its specialization is so bad that you'd never consider using points there, so you don't have to worry about it messing up your spec point plan.

Gun Nut is useful for burst builds because you end up shooting enough bullets that you live in the mathematical average zone.  It's only a little bit useful, but AR/burst shotty builds in particular have several feats to spare.