Author Topic: Perception affects chemical pistols?  (Read 1784 times)

bryanudi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Perception affects chemical pistols?
« on: July 30, 2020, 08:53:43 pm »
So, i tried to search this in the wiki up and down, but didn't found the information. I need an answer, as after this PSI changes that might get in line soon, i kinda want to try a PSI user that isn't 100% focused on it, and uses only one school.

I never used PSI before, i'm more of the stealthy guy with knives and stuff. However, in my case, i was thinking to make this PSI build to work with Chemical pistols. As they don't need that much investment to work, and their two perks are rather simple to get.
Cooked shot only needs 5 DEX, and the Mad scientist needs 7 INT, which is okay considering that i will have my intelligence around that to work with the PSI stuff. And i want to use Thought control only, as it looks like my favorite school by far.

So, it would be PSI thought control + chemical pistol as some sort of sidearm.

Okay, enough of build talk, this is a question topic.

And the simple question i want to ask is, is perception actually affects the Chemical pistols? I know perception itself doesn't affect hit chance, but it does affect the guns skill, which in turn affects the hit chance. However, Chemical pistols seems to be an exception when it comes to actual guns. Do they just work like normal pistols?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Perception affects chemical pistols?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 10:20:07 pm »
Mostly they work just like regular pistols, though Cooked Shot is an AoE attack and acts as an AoE attack, which is different from the more typical application of precision mechanics.

bryanudi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 11:27:46 pm »
Mostly they work just like regular pistols, though Cooked Shot is an AoE attack and acts as an AoE attack, which is different from the more typical application of precision mechanics.

Wait, let me see if i get it. I never used Chemical pistols before, but i tried Psi once.
I know that some Psi skills, even AOE, doesn't work like grenades. They have an area of effect, but its always 100% chance of hit.

The cooked shot works like an AOE skill with always 100% chance to hit, or it has percentage of success depending on your perception? Because if that's the case, i could ditch the Guns altogether, and only use the pistols with the cooked shot when needed.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 12:44:45 am »
The cooked shot works like an AOE skill with always 100% chance to hit, or it has percentage of success depending on your perception?
Neither, but also your understanding of AoE is wrong.  AoE isn't 100% chance to hit; that's a special feature of certain things like some psi abilities.  Read the link I embedded in my previous post to get a better understanding of how missing works.  The short version is - AoE can miss, but the way it misses is different from the way point damage misses.

trashplayer

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 08:49:08 am »
Chemical pistols are just a type of pistol, so anything applies to pistols in general applies. They can take up a lot of specialization if focused. However, chem guns come with a good spread of damage types, so they function well even with a modest investment. May as well check out energy pistols.