Author Topic: Melee vs. Bladelings?  (Read 4103 times)

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Melee vs. Bladelings?
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:43:46 pm »
Aaaand yet another question, because I'm finding myself with time on my hands.

How does Melee work out versus Bladelings?
I remember in the days of old, when quests past Junkyard were a faint hope to be realized in better days and Styg was still shuffling on alone, that fighting burrowers was distinctly unfun with them kiting me through the level, and if it wasn't for the Spikes of DoomTM bug, I would have had problems with a variety of things.
Things PSI-Abilities could solve, but I'm planning without them.
In any case, I dumped the heavy ranged char due to a bad feat pick, and I wondered, if I'm restarting it anyways, if I shouldn't go for melee instead, and I worry if [suspicious]Bladelings might prove to be a barrier to the char since it wouldn't put out high damage per hit, aka it might be unable to kill them properly.[/suspicious]

Anyone got experience with that?
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Melee vs. Bladelings?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:37:53 pm »
The game is really missing a Laser rifle. :P
But I never thought their resistance being purely %, that might ease things up.
Pneumatic Gloves might help there.
Though after my unarmed char got sidelined after I discover there's no logical reason to go unarmed in the face of combat gloves, I might build one that uses those gloves.
Guess I'll stick to Assault Rifles for the Heavy Armour char.
Thanks.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:20:37 pm »
Darn, forgot about that.
Electric Gloves might work.
But ranged it is.
Melee can at least work around it; using 2 hits with electric gloves, switch to pneumatic, combo hit, 2 more hits; followed next round by a heavy combo pneumatic hit for spike damage.
However, if that's indeed 90% damage resistance, I might be better off killing them with the starting pistol with AP ammo.  ::)
Guess without electric gloves or PSI, melee is really boned against them. Sides sledges, of course.
Honestly, it's kinda weird that heavy gloves still incur 125% of threshold, while Sledges ignore it.
I reckon plated gloves would have a similar effect. ^^

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:36:57 am »
Yes, but a plated Glove is a blunt attack, and a heavy punch, or potentially even one supported by the Pneumatic Hammer, might very well deal comparable damage, and cost more AP to boot.
I think that would be an interesting way to differentiate between Spikes and Plates.^^

But why worry about killing them?
Well, I got only one char there so far, I've been out for a while, and every third blob of stone I mined to get those shards ended up spawning one.
Is there another way to get all that metal?