Author Topic: Dominating difficulty is impossible for melee.  (Read 6062 times)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Dominating difficulty is impossible for melee.
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 02:15:56 pm »
The problem is these parts "used grenades", "used lot of traps".
When you use grenades - it's grenade build, not your hammer/psi/etc doing the work.
Same for traps.
I used traps for Beast quest, and besides that I'm only have 1 beartrap with me, and used it rare.

Traps and grenades are too powerful, don't know if it could be balanced, the only solution is self-restriction to use it.
I even regret I took QT for crossbowman.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 04:49:09 pm »
The problem is these parts "used grenades", "used lot of traps".
When you use grenades - it's grenade build, not your hammer/psi/etc doing the work.
Same for traps.
Really don't see that.  When you kill an enemy with 2500HP, and during the fight you use two traps and a few grenades, they didn't do the work. They enabled the work of whatever your primary output was. You still punched/smashed/shot/brainmelted that enemy to death, you just benefitted from traps and grenades while you did it.  May as well say any build that uses a Taser is a Taser build since stuns are so strong - and that wouldn't be a great claim.

The only realistic situation where the grenades or traps do the work would be either when you set a field of traps (like, as you mentioned, the Beast fight, which is basically just a tutorial on bear traps and gas grenades), or the rare case where you have Grenadier and the luck to keep an enemy on fire and panicking while you chuck incendiaries like The Worst Santa Claus Ever.

I really don't think the problem is grenades or traps are too strong - it's that the player is too strong. Special abilities are too strong. Psi and stealth are WAY too strong.  I'm in the middle of a dominating run right now for the lols - all the crafting skills except Neurology (because no psi and it didn't feel right to take that feat), plus Salesman. No direct weapon feats, just Grenadier and QT.  It's a much weaker build than a proper AR build without Grenadier or QT.  There's nothing to synergize, all I have is "pew" or "pewpewpewpewpew" and the difference is substantial.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 06:25:07 pm »
Well... that is really relative, to be honest.

You can go bananas on Mark IV mines with low trap skill as enemies won't walk over them, because they see them. You make a mesh of those, enemies lose ap wedging themselves around, then you blow-chain-reaction it all with any grenade. It's strong :D.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 04:44:02 am »
Really don't see that.

Well, what can I say... keep telling yourself that it's your build's work, not grenades/traps...