Author Topic: Why is the hit chance of grenades calculated as it is?  (Read 1207 times)

Red Panda

• Noob
    • View Profile
Why is the hit chance of grenades calculated as it is?
« on: October 28, 2019, 04:57:12 pm »
Hi everyone,

a very nice game. Having a lot of fun exploring the vast cave systems and fucking beasts and men up.
Really liked the Vivian quests and solving the Warehouse quest non-violent.
But there is a question i have regarding the hit chance of grenades:

Grenades cannot land more than 3 tiles away from their targeted location with imprecise throws. Grenades can only reach 90% precision, unlike targeted attacks which are limited to a maximum of 95% precision. However, grenades have 100% precision when thrown to a tile adjacent to the thrower. See Precision for details on precision mechanics.

Why was it implemented that way? Was that intentional to let all characters use grenades?
Cause i think when you are bad at throwing every miss should throw the grenade right in your face.
Does anybody here know more about it?
Thanks for your answers.

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the hit chance of grenades calculated as it is?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 02:24:57 pm »
Why was it implemented that way? Was that intentional to let all characters use grenades? Cause i think when you are bad at throwing every miss should throw the grenade right in your face.

Probably because there are several types of utilities in the game that anyone can use - bear traps, caltrops, and nades (not even counting the electronic utilities... although the taser requires electronics i guess). Honestly, if you think about how powerful psi is just by itself, it's really good that non-psi characters actually have a couple of tools in the trunk to help them out with cc, aoe, etc.

And yea, I have to disagree. Anyone with an arm - EVEN A CHILD - could underhand toss a grenade like 20 feet, not even to mention dropping it at their feet.

I'd prefer if we minimized suggestions that nerfed non-psi characters as well as being completely unrealistic.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the hit chance of grenades calculated as it is?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 03:15:57 am »
And yea, I have to disagree. Anyone with an arm - EVEN A CHILD - could underhand toss a grenade like 20 feet, not even to mention dropping it at their feet.

I'd prefer if we minimized suggestions that nerfed non-psi characters as well as being completely unrealistic.
You'd think that, and yet in a completely stress-free environment, with no live target or threat or even realistic time constraints, recruits still drop grenades at their own feet during grenade training and have to get tackled by the safety officer.  Think how much worse it would be if you were hurt, scared, and riding a wave of adrenaline, all while throwing a grenade in a low-ceiling environment with a bunch of stuff it could bounce off of and roll right back to you.

There's nothing unrealistic about screwing up and eating your own grenade. Given the kill/injury radius for a standard frag is 5/15 meters, it should probably be more lethal.  It happens in training, and it happens in combat.  But it certainly shouldn't happen in the game, because realism should always take a back seat to enjoyment as long as we're not talking about training simulations.