Author Topic: The crafting question  (Read 2522 times)

darkglobe

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
The crafting question
« on: October 17, 2019, 11:51:00 am »
I am currently leveling an assassin and im at level 9 just got into core city. I'm more or less following this guide here as an assassin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Dk8qndTu4. It says to go chemistry mechanics and tailoring. The problem is i dont really understand how mechanics is useful at all when the weapons you make even with the best quality metal i can find still wont do as much damage as an electronic weapon. Should I go into electronics as well? or is the sole mechanics skill going to pay off? I'm only using melee weapons.

I've restarted so many times and I don't want to do it again  >:(

darkglobe

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: The crafting question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 12:24:22 pm »

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 01:18:05 pm »
Ugh...

I'd lose most of the skills in Subterfuge and Intimidate/Persuade to lvl up Throwing/Crafting and Mercantile more. Some Traps skill won't hurt. As a new player you will have to be especially careful about stealthed enemies.

Mechanics will give you the best knives. Electronics will give you the best shield emitters. Chemistry will give you potent throwing items. With such a high investment into melee skills the Versatility feat won't hurt, either.

darkglobe

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 01:50:57 pm »
Ugh...

I'd lose most of the skills in Subterfuge and Intimidate/Persuade to lvl up Throwing/Crafting and Mercantile more. Some Traps skill won't hurt. As a new player you will have to be especially careful about stealthed enemies.

Mechanics will give you the best knives. Electronics will give you the best shield emitters. Chemistry will give you potent throwing items. With such a high investment into melee skills the Versatility feat won't hurt, either.

thanks that clears alot of things up for me :) but whats wrong with subterfuge? I make alot of money from it and hacking turrets and picking doors helps me sneak around areas. I also read somewhere that throwing skills completely suck and it doesnt scale well.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 02:18:36 pm »
Subterfuge is situational. Considering what type of game Underrail is, Crafting will give you more in return.

Not saying to completely abandon the tree. Hacking is fine. But pickpocket and lockpicking on top of it is a bit too much, imho, especially since you have no points into Electronics.

Apostrophe

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 06:55:36 pm »
That is a really old video, 2015, you should not follow that guide. Knives are bad in general, and that guide is for trowing knives specifically, so if you are using melee knives with 4-year-old throwing knives guide you are going to have problems :D

Start over, use swords as the main weapon, use PSI, grenades, traps, crossbows as support. Be a real ninja.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:15:00 pm by Apostrophe »

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 12:26:17 pm »
I played as knifer and it's quite decent tbh (although fist-psi build is much better and smoother, and basically the same feel other than cutthroat). So far, I don't think you're "screwed" in any way. I wouldn't pick Intimidation and persuasion unless you knew the skill check places, since those two requires substantial investment that doesn't give you anything special in term of combat. I'd recommend psi 16 will build for "talker" playthrough tbh.

For knives, you don't have to max mechanic everytime you leveled up, since it's not that demanding. I'd recommend leveling your chemistry for a bit and 50 biology for good drugs. Check Grenade wiki to see the required chemistry. I think Frag Grenade MK3 should be good enough until ~16 ish. Ofc you could balls deep on it and get MK5 asap, but makes sure you don't gimped on your melee, dodge and evasion.

As for knives damage, every bit of improvement worth the upgrade imo.Keep in mind that light weapon relies on lots of attack. Use your electric weapon for tough enemies and robot, unless you want to burn through your battery every 2-3 turn. Also, I'd recommend to take Taste for Blood soon, it'll make your build a lot more fun

And I wouldn't recommend maxing pickpocket, 50 should be enough tbh. Get 50 effective throwing, it works wonder