Author Topic: Pistol build for casual  (Read 2919 times)

bryanudi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Pistol build for casual
« on: February 13, 2020, 06:00:43 am »
Greetings.

Somewhat of a new player, i do have 100+ hours on the game, but i never really got past lvl 13 or completed any major quest after Armadilo drill, as i tend to keep creating new chars again and again, finding a passionate build y'know.

So, what i'm searching is a firearm pistol build. Yes, i have made my research here and there, Pistols are underwelming. However, my question is, there is a Pistol build that i can play on normal? I like being stealthy, but combat capable. Y'know, umainly use pistols, i really like that one Wyatt is carrying. Stalthy, not that much reliant on traps, as i do prefer the utility of Throwing way more than relying on trap setups.

Considering that i'm playing on normal, is there any build i can play casually through the game? Stealthy but combat capable. Maybe with low investment on lock/hack and play on classic maybe? And also, what does benefit pistols more, dex or perception to gay all way out?

And of course, i'm okay with some use of chemical pistols, as they seem to need less investment than energy pistol to be more effective, and also gives some utility.

Thanks for the tips!

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Pistol build for casual
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 02:13:55 pm »
Sure, for Normal difficulty, you can play any build and be OK.  You may still die from time to time, of course, but it'll be a case of you make a mistake, die, reload, then don't make that mistake again.  You won't ever be simply unable to progress.

Perception of 10 should be plenty for pistols, but you want a lot of Dex because that'll bring the action point cost down so you can shoot more.  And obviously, more shooting is better.  Since you'll have high Dexterity anyway, you'll want to pick up some Throwing skill and Grenadier.  You may even have enough feat slots available for Three Pointer, which can be kind of nice especially at high effective values for Throwing.

You'll really need 6 Agi for Sprint, if you're not going to pick up psi.  Pistols need good placement because their range is relatively limited, so you'll always be happy to have extra movement points on tap.

I'd start with 10 Dex, 8 Per, 6 Agi and put your first two points into Dex.  If you're still happy with your damage output, then keep your Perception at 8 until you find it hard to do enough damage per shot to be useful (Perception will increase Guns skill, which increases damage).  You'll have a few more stat points to distribute, and they can go wherever.  On Normal you have enough health that you don't really need more Con unless you want it, but it's never bad to have.  Int would also be nice, because you're going to want to craft your own pistols, and it's always best to craft your own shield and armor if you can.  Whatever you think you'd prefer will do just fine.

If you do intend to use chemical pistols, you'll need 25 skill points in Chemistry at a bare minimum (or a lot more if you want to craft your own chem pistol - again, crafting is pretty much always going to give you a superior item than what you can find in the game world) for Cooked Shot, which is a whole lot of utility.

Vokial

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Pistol build for casual
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 04:42:33 am »
Pistols are great. They does not have the move & shoot penalty, they can have reduced AP cost, have feats that boosts initiative, crit chance + damage and can use ammunition of all kinds.
Wasteland Hawk has wonderful critical damage, but you'll need 13 DEX to shoot it 3 times in a turn with either a Temporal buff or an Andrenaline Shot. So maybe you're better with a Rapid Smart 44 Hammerer. The damage spread is wider , but at least in both directions, unfortunately it only have 125% crit damage instead of 150%, but even with 8 DEX, you can shoot for a mere 20 AP (so you can have 3 regular AP shots AND a Rapid Fire in addition). Which means that with all the spare stat points you can have 18 PER for colossal damage and precision. PER is more important than DEX for a pistoleer planning to use high calibers. And that you should since a Rapid Fire from a Smart 44 caliber is insane (espeically if it crits), Explosive bullets are awesome and you get the most out of Steadfast Aim too. DEX is better for knife or SMG users. Also 5 AGI is enough, no need for Sprint when you have the Temporal buff for the same bonus with +20 AP in addition. Still, if you want to ditch psionics completely, you can and it's undertandable. You'll have more HP, can lower your PER to 17 and get 6 AGI, choose Sprint instead of Psy-Temp. Acceleration and pop an Adrenaline Shot for AP, even save yourself 56 skill points. Although I like Temporal on this build, it's convenient and the other spells are useful too even with low Will, like Recurrence, Dilation and Increment.

Anway, this is a modification of my own build tailored to your needs. Now you have Throwing maxed so you'll b precise and get the most out of Three Pointer (+34% crit chance) with enough Electronics and Chemistry to have grade 5 Grenades of ANY kind (including EMP & Plasma). These numbers are attained either with the crafting-; OR the Hypercerebrix bonus. Youll also have 70 Bio while under the benefit of either one, so you'll be able to craft more Hypercerebrix. This way you'll be able to craft your high-end grenades while you're away from your workbench in Expansion. Subterfuge is still present to a good extent for you to lockpick and hack and not be a walking minesweeper.
Here you go:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgUIBQMQAwbCoMKdAAAAwp3CnU08ADFaZVEsWgAAADkAAAAXATE6HltGK8KHFj5LMzV-KMKkwrXip4wD4qe-Ct-_
Make sure to enable Trapper's Belt & Jackknife. Oh yeah, had to include that 2 Sniper perks, I mean you already have Aimed Shot and Sharpshooter, especally with PER this high you have to:) A nice Rapid Spearhead using armor piercing or micro-sharpnel bullets is great to have.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:18:14 am by Vokial »