Author Topic: Opinion on this Sniper Thought Control build?  (Read 3048 times)

cowboy curtis

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Opinion on this Sniper Thought Control build?
« on: May 02, 2020, 10:32:19 pm »
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgUDBwMMCgbCoAAAAAAAwqBTagAAZ2cAKGdgLTJGOQBNATkoHTUnM35LwoUxGSQrIcKHwrXCpOKcmgXip74K378

Was trying to work out a stealth glass cannon build that could utilize specific psi skills. Namely Neurovisual Disruption for quickly entering Stealth. Doppleganger / Enrage with Locus of Control for Crowd Control. Destabilization for AoE.

I have actually never used Thought Control so I don't know how well this would work. Also not sure if I should cap it at 75 or keep boosting it. This is not for dominating.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:34:09 pm by cowboy curtis »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion on this Sniper Thought Control build?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 06:00:46 am »
I have actually never used Thought Control so I don't know how well this would work. Also not sure if I should cap it at 75 or keep boosting it. This is not for dominating.
I'd push it a little higher, if I were you.  Even on Hard, if your effective skill is under 200, you'll occasionally see some resists.  With a full psi build, you can stop at 75 because your psi beetle armor and uni-psi headband will get you well over 200 effective, but I can't see that build wearing a psi beetle tac vest.

You are significantly over-invested in Stealth, and a little over-invested in Lockpicking.  If you wanted, you could free up some points from there and add a dozen or so to TC to get you comfortably over 200.  If you plan on relying on TC to get you out of a pinch, you don't want to risk resists any more than you absolutely have to.  Then you could put all the points you have left into Chemistry and try to get to a buffed 69 effective so you can make some grenades and nice specialty ammo for your sniper rifle.  W2C is good enough, but there are some situations where the specialty ammo is even better.  Always nice to have a few rounds with you, just in case.

Something more like this would be a little tighter a build, though it would require you to buff up to hit your highest skill checks: http://underrail.info/build/?HgUDBwMMCgbCoAAAAAAAwoxTWAAAZ2cqJ2d4LTJGOQBNATkoHTUnM35LwoUxGSQrIcKHwrXCpOKcmgXip74K378

edit: build link modified for new Character Builder URL
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:12:27 pm by TheAverageGortsby »

cowboy curtis

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 06:45:08 pm »
I'd push it a little higher, if I were you.  Even on Hard, if your effective skill is under 200, you'll occasionally see some resists.  With a full psi build, you can stop at 75 because your psi beetle armor and uni-psi headband will get you well over 200 effective, but I can't see that build wearing a psi beetle tac vest.

You are significantly over-invested in Stealth, and a little over-invested in Lockpicking.  If you wanted, you could free up some points from there and add a dozen or so to TC to get you comfortably over 200.  If you plan on relying on TC to get you out of a pinch, you don't want to risk resists any more than you absolutely have to.  Then you could put all the points you have left into Chemistry and try to get to a buffed 69 effective so you can make some grenades and nice specialty ammo for your sniper rifle.  W2C is good enough, but there are some situations where the specialty ammo is even better.  Always nice to have a few rounds with you, just in case.

Something more like this would be a little tighter a build, though it would require you to buff up to hit your highest skill checks: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgUDBwMMCgbCoAAAAAAAwoxTWAAAZ2cqJ2d4LTJGOQBNATkoHTUnM35LwoUxGSQrIcKHwrXCpOKcmgXip74K378

Thank you for the input. Which skill checks would I need to buff?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 08:09:24 pm »
Thank you for the input. Which skill checks would I need to buff?
Most of them.  It's a fairly min/maxed build.

You'd need to buff up with Hypercerebrix to make the highest Mercantile check.  You'd need to wear some +persuasion gear to make the highest persuasion checks, and you'd need both the Lemurian Engineer Suit plus Hypercerebrix to get Hacking to 130.  You'd need the suit plus Dex food and the jackknife plus tools to open the highest difficulty locks in the game.

For crafting, you'd need the housing bonus, plus Hypercerebrix, *plus* the +3 skills food to hit your Chem and Bio thresholds (and it looks like my link was wrong; you'd need to take one point out of Chem and put it into Bio.  Sorry.).  Your other three crafting skills should be good enough with just the housing bonus and Hypercerebrix.