Author Topic: Apparently, rathounds can smell you  (Read 1783 times)

YakovMarker

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Apparently, rathounds can smell you
« on: June 13, 2021, 07:25:54 am »
Recently I got stuck at the start of the game, because rathounds for some reason started to instantly see through my stealth. I tried to take off my armor to mitigate the stealth penalty and got struck by a crazy idea — what if they can smell you? I had armor and tabi boots made out of rathound leather.

So, I did a little test: https://youtu.be/cHI8DDsbDGs

And yeah, they indeed can smell you, if you have too much rathound stuff on you. Neat little detail.

Theoldwomaninthetrashcan

• Noob
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently, rathounds can smell you
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 09:36:07 am »
That is quite impressive, what a neat little feature.

KnifegaF

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 12:26:22 pm »
Recently I got stuck at the start of the game, because rathounds for some reason started to instantly see through my stealth. I tried to take off my armor to mitigate the stealth penalty and got struck by a crazy idea — what if they can smell you? I had armor and tabi boots made out of rathound leather.

And yeah, they indeed can smell you, if you have too much rathound stuff on you. Neat little detail.

What is your effective stealth with and without the armor? I think the armor penalty may actually be what’s happening here but I could be wrong

YakovMarker

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 01:08:56 pm »

What is your effective stealth with and without the armor? I think the armor penalty may actually be what’s happening here but I could be wrong

Yeah, I just tested it with high-level char on those same rathounds. I just hit an instant detection threshold.
For some reason, I didn't even think about that then. Probably because I was fascinated by some non-existent little detail, that I imagined myself in my head.

Kinda disappointed :(

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 08:36:13 am »
Your character does heavy physical excercises all the time, and never showers. He/she also lives in a world presumably without paper toilet paper..... (mushroom paper??)

EVERYONE can smell you! :D

YakovMarker

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 10:42:55 am »
Your character does heavy physical excercises all the time, and never showers. He/she also lives in a world presumably without paper toilet paper..... (mushroom paper??)

EVERYONE can smell you! :D

I think, this applies to almost everyone in South Underrail. People surely got used to the smell  ;)

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 05:32:43 pm »
I just started a new playhtough and had no problem sneaking past rathounds. Agi 9 or 10 with food and maxed stealth so around 60 effective stealth level at around level 5 when I went to GSM with cave hopper. Makes actually little sense, you would think that they would be more likely to ignore their "own kind" than a juicy cave hopper.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 05:47:19 pm by Sykar »