Author Topic: Build for a complete noob  (Read 5201 times)

boardd

• Noob
    • View Profile
Build for a complete noob
« on: November 26, 2023, 09:17:50 pm »
Hello, im a total rookie newb to under rail from classic fallout. I was wondering if someone could help me make a build that could get me through the game on normal (doesnt have to be anything special or any specific playstile :) )

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Build for a complete noob
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 04:47:55 am »
Hello, im a total rookie newb to under rail from classic fallout. I was wondering if someone could help me make a build that could get me through the game on normal (doesnt have to be anything special or any specific playstile :) )
For a total rookie, i suggest this:

Str 6
Dex 3
Agi 7
Con 3
Per 10
Will 3
Int 8

These stats:

- Str 6: allows to use all sorts of Guns (not Heavy Guns). Guns include grenade launchers, assault rifles, sniper rifles, SMGs, pistols (including energy and chemical pistols). Guns are "bread and butter" and is the most versatile and reliable offense to start playing the game with. Some few guns require Str 7, which you can easily get with food buff if desired;
 - Agi 7: Stealth is very useful in this game, and Interloper is the best Stealth feat by far - requires Agi 7. Sprint requires Agi 6 and is very good, too. Agility also increases mobility - great for a new player;
 - Per 10: increases Guns accuracy, Guns damage, required for some great sniper feats if you'd go that way. Also detects hidden enemies, secrets, passages, and mines. All great for a new player;
 - Int 8: increases effective values of crafting skills, hacking, mercantile - the latter two skills i highly recommend for a new player (Mercantile to effective 105 is enough, Hacking to effective 130 is enough), as these two skills (at said values) unlock lots of high quality goods at merchants and various extra goods and quest paths in all sorts of places. Crafting skills - best way to figure out if you like them is to try them, and higher Int helps not to waste most of your skill points into crafting skills only;
 - Con 3: normal mode is quite forgiving about health and medicine efficiency. Con 3 builds are most powerful for most types of characters. And it's not oh so massive extra health from a few extra points in Con. You're likely to get higher health bonus from a certain crafted high quality armor;
 - Will 3: if you're not planning to deal main damage with psionics - and as a Guns build you ain't - then you don't need higher than 3. That said, lots of useful Psi abilities are great at Will 3 nonetheless, if you decide to learn any;
 - Dex 3: most of the time this is "all or nothing" stat: dedicated pistol and SMG builds go max Dex and Versatility feat, but normal Guns builds go Perception as a main stat and not much if any into Dex.

Skill-wise, i recommend:
 - maxing out Guns and Stealth every level,
 - getting 60...90 effective Lockpicking ("effective" means actual value shown in character screen after all current bonuses / synergies are applied),
 - ~80sh effective Hacking ASAP,
 - 20sh in effective Biology and Chemistry not later than level ~10 - for basic crafts and Toxic Gas grenades (these are extremely powerful - up to +200% damage taken to affected foes at max 20 stacks of the debuff),
 - ~80...90 in hard-point (actually spent skll points) Electronics: energy shield emitters, smart night vision goggles, cloaking devices are all great things to make;
 - ~80 in hard-point Mechanics, to craft all sorts of high-quality guns (you'll find parts both from loot and sold by many merchants)
 - ~90 in hard-point Throwing (hand grenades are useful and don't occupy a weapon slot, especially higher grade ones - up to mk5 - if crafted with higher Chemistry / Electronics, but using them with any tolerable accuracy requires about that much skill in Throwing);

Overall, there's enough skill points to max out exactly 8 skills - or get more than 8 skills somewhat developed if you don't max out some of them, so keep that in mind. Over-spending in some skill can make you regret it later. All proposed above - sums up to some 700sh skill points spent, out of total 1280 skill points earnable by maximum level (30, assuming you have Expedition DLC installed). There are many various items (equipment, consumables, even work benches in your house once you get one and buy some) to boost some skills, and some more items to boost some stats - which in turn add to all skills based on a particular boosted stat.

P.S. Good luck, whichever build you decide to go with. o7
our lifestyles, mores, institutions, patterns of interaction, values, and expectations are shaped by a cultural heritage that was formed in a time when carrying capacity exceeded the human load. (c) William R. Catton, Jr

Eidein

• Oculite
  • Zoner
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 07:18:51 am »
You should take this "build" from the -400 karma kind soul I'm sure it works.  :-X

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 12:49:26 pm »
"If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you."

Bible, John 15:19
our lifestyles, mores, institutions, patterns of interaction, values, and expectations are shaped by a cultural heritage that was formed in a time when carrying capacity exceeded the human load. (c) William R. Catton, Jr

Sweeper

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 04:20:35 pm »
You should take this "build" from the -400 karma kind soul I'm sure it works.  :-X
I made this account 5 years ago and I'm forced to post for the first time cause of the lad.
His legend is growing.

Eidein

• Oculite
  • Zoner
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 09:22:09 pm »
"If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you."

Not sure its that deep, you just post shit advice, like psp on a shotgun tank xd.

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 09:34:02 pm »

I think it's more likely that the world hates you because you post retarded walls of gibberish.
Valor's favorite poster

boardd

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 04:51:06 pm »
so uhh.. should i use what the guy sent or no?

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2023, 05:37:01 pm »
If it sounds good to you, then you should. If it sounds "gibberish" and/or "shitty advice" to you, then you shouldn't. Your game, your decision.

Eidein

• Oculite
  • Zoner
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2023, 08:44:39 pm »
If it sounds good to you, then you should. If it sounds "gibberish" and/or "shitty advice" to you, then you shouldn't. Your game, your decision.

explain the use of psp on a tank build, where you shouldn't be maxing TC.

Timevir

• Oculite
  • Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2023, 11:12:40 pm »
To get back on topic, for a brand new player I'd recommend looking through the builds forum for an Assault Rifle build.

Assault Rifles are probably the easiest to build for and can let you learn the fundamentals of playing the game if you aren't interested in figuring out the builds part of the game.

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2023, 05:42:30 am »
explain the use of psp on a tank build, where you shouldn't be maxing TC.
I provided an explanation for psp in there topic, and i did it well before you mentioned psp in this topic. No idea why you ask for it in this one; it's pretty off-topic here as i did not suggest any TC ability, psp included, in this topic. I can't help it if you for some reason are unable to see it.

Der Zooner

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2023, 07:45:44 pm »
I will always recommend a pistol build for new players.
AR is easier to get to grips with mechanically, because it is very simple and thus can get a bit dull.
Also, at the very beginning of the game, which is where you'll struggle the most with getting to grips with things, you won't have an assault rifle, you'll have a pistol.
Building for it right out of the gate will let you get off to a strong start, and mechanical pistols are one of the most reliable and powerful weapon types in the game all the way through.
A lot of enemies in the early game make use of them, too, so that will naturally help you have at least one functioning weapon with ammo to go along with it.
Another bonus of pistols is a good stat distribution for them will also work well for SMGs, so if you find yourself a little lacking in the dakka department early on, you can always pick up an SMG for burst fire - they are also fairly common weapons.

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2023, 09:23:37 pm »
Pistols and SMGs are a good part of Guns-based character i roughly outlined above, but both have one significant limitation: their range. Assault rifles and sniper rifles are so good because anything you see - you can shoot at.

Beginning of the game, there is more than enough money in Normal mode to buy any type of a gun from SGS merchant (or better, from Junkyard merchant, higher quality there), which is very early in the game. Until then, yep, pistols do great, but they do without investing any feats into it, too - at this stage.

P.S. Like Leon said in Leon movie, easiest to master - is the sniper rifle, and then as one learns more and more of the craft, one gets closer and closer to the target, knife being the weapon mastered last. :)

Der Zooner

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 11:27:10 pm »
It is true that the economy in Normal difficulty is busted, making money from buying components and assembling them being its most exploitable aspect.
Still, as a new player, it may take time to cotton on to such exploits - I remember fretting about spending money as a beginner as I wasn't sure how badly I'd need it later on - having your main weapon given to you for free is a nice antidote to this.
I tend to find that long range is rarely a huge boon due to the harsh effects of light level and target distance on accuracy, especially on assault rifles that are reliant on inaccurate bursting to reach anywhere near their full potential.
The hardest part of the game is the start unless you really mess up your build, so my advice is aimed toward getting someone new through that part of it. Trying to fight at long range with low skill levels is asking for trouble.
Pistol accuracy and range is surprisingly good and more than adequate for nearly all situations, they also allow a lot of control over how you spread out your damage with low-AP shots.
Sniper rifles are a real turn-off early on, they need a lot of early-mid game feats and specialization to be anywhere near good, and they are still frustrating as hell to use with those feats.
I wouldn't recommend them at all.
Pistols, on the other hand, let you feel like you are developing your build consistently from the very start of the game all the way through, which is a nice feeling.