Author Topic: Stealth - specialize or hybrid?  (Read 3030 times)

Infiltrator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Stealth - specialize or hybrid?
« on: December 19, 2015, 03:27:05 am »
Hey guys. I haven't been playing the alpha for a bit, not wanting to spoil the game, but now I'm ready to tackle it since it's out.

First thing I wanted to ask - before I try and fail - is it advisible to make a stealth character that can be both good at melee (knives) and ranged (pistos? xbows? snipers?), and do I have to lose out on "adventure" skills like crafting, hacking, pickpocketing etc.

I have no interest in psi abilities with this character.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth - specialize or hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 10:14:07 am »
Well, whenever you invest in something, you lose out in something else you could level instead.
If you also are fine with being none too good with social interaction, though, which uses the same attribute as Psi, you'll probably have plenty of points.
2 weapons + crafting is feasible.
Now if you want weapons, crafting, sneaking, and some traps, and everything preferable at a high level, you'll come up short, but what you seem to plan is inherently doable.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Infiltrator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 04:09:01 pm »
I was actually looking to just specialize in 1 weapon type, since I don't think I'll be having enough feats to make them all good. Since I'm going for a dex instead of str build, snipers are off the table I guess, as are ARs. That leaves me with Xbows, pistols and SMGs. What have you guys found best to work with when it comes to sneaky characters?

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 09:38:21 pm »
In my opinion SMG are boring (even didn't played that way), pistols are fun, crossbows looks fine too, and in plans. )

Ezkaton

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 03:17:56 am »
I would go for a crossbow/melee or throwing melee. Guns are insanely costly to keep ammo, imo.

Using the given points You can do 2 offense, both defense, stealth, hacking and picking and have them at 15 and still have 15 points that you can put into crafting if you want or whatever else you desire.

As far as feats go I'd just set everything up for nuking with the crossbow or throwing items then finish up with a strong knife.

Recklessness would be a gimme on first feat then maybe opportunist if you went with throwing so you can CC with nades or maybe burglar so you can be a faster action sneak.

Infiltrator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 10:48:40 am »
Alright thanks for the tips guys. As dex is described as a melee synergy stat as well as str, do I need str at all if I won't be using heavy weapons?

rdx

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 02:16:05 pm »
for knives you get like 2-3% dmg increase per str point above 5 so imo its not really worth it