Author Topic: How to reset Abram's quest state if you've messed it up  (Read 15250 times)

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: How to reset Abram's quest state if you've messed it up
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2019, 11:38:24 am »
EDIT
This topic seems to be still getting plenty of traffic, so...
The CLI unpacker linked in the post above doesn't work correctly for recent files because it uses a hardcoded number from 2015 as Underrail data model version. Fixing files packed with this program is just a matter of changing the version bytes in file header back to what they were in your original file, but there's also an easier way:

For (un)packing Underrail files from any current and future versions, try https://underrail.info/unpacker/ (Remember to choose correct version from dropdown menu before repacking! Versions from files you unpack are temporarily added to the list.)

I tried using this but I'm currently on version 1.1.0.12 with the expansion, is it still doable? All I get after opening it in notepad or a hex editor is just a bunch of gibberish.

Yes, editing the files still works the same. There is no reason to assume the file format will ever change.

If you're getting complete gibberish, that sounds like the file wasn't unpacked and you're looking at a raw gzipstream.
There will be some gibberish in the unpacked file as well since it is a binary file, but it should have clearly recognizable words repeated right around the start: Key, Value, Count.
Also: Please don't open binary files in notepad or any other text editor. It won't work.

A solution may be to check a save file for a character which accepted the task and compare the flag values. But I'm afraid there may be another field set beyond this named ones which holds the actual state if Abram should talk to you again.

That sounds like the best way to go about it. If you're going to research the quest flags, run Microsoft SysInternals DebugView alongside the game. It will capture some useful debug output, including changes to global properties (aka quest flags).

And no, the quest flags are always stored in those conveniently named global properties (and they're usually simple booleans or integers). Sometimes quest scripting can check other variables like player faction standings, but I don't see why that would be the case here.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:49:26 am by epeli »
[[Underrail Wiki]] // character builder and other Underrail utilities: underrail.info (thread)

Calcium

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2020, 12:58:01 am »
Just got this working today, can confirm it still works in the current version. You need to find the image at the beginning of this thread where he shows you exactly which strings to alter the values of. Cheers!

WendigoBob

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2021, 09:24:34 pm »
Does anybody know how to unpack for the latest versions of the game? I keep getting a "Failed to load saved game" error. I'm assuming the problem is tied with the packing/unpacking, as even an unmodified global.dat that has just been unpacked/packed causes the error. The original main.exe is of course nonfunctional, but even the website (https://underrail.info/unpacker/) seems to be limited to 1.0 patches.