Author Topic: Lets talk about font changes  (Read 4152 times)

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Lets talk about font changes
« on: February 18, 2016, 10:29:47 pm »
Now, maybe this is just me not getting used to it, but I think new fonts are less readable in trade and inventory screens (UI parts that do not have font size settings).

Can't explain this well... Older fonts were just "bolder" and new ones are too thin, and maybe badly anti-aliased, I think. Older fonts just were better readable for small letter size, in my opinion, since letters were thicker.

I'm kinda surprised that old fonts were not left as an option, but completely replaced. Personally, I never had issues with them.

new:

old:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:49:34 pm by player1 »

dirtman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Lets talk about font changes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 11:09:51 pm »
same here, don't see the problem with older fonts. new ones seem a bit out of place and i'd prefer an option to switch them too.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:29:41 am »
I have experienced an issue with newer fonts. I play at 1280x720 resolution. Some tooltips description now don't fit the screen. I had to manually select small font for tooltips. In my opinion older font was too small but newer font is sometimes too large...  :P

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:53:58 am »
^Truth to be told, I did had same issue with old fonts too. Thus, I'm mostly playing at 1600x900 with large fonts, with my 15.6" laptop.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 09:22:40 am »
I see new font is taller than before. Not sure if I like the change. Other than that is easier on the eyes than the old one.

Maybe an option to choose from some typefonts would be a nice addition.

Ilion

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 08:46:15 pm »
I agree, the new font makes no fucking sense aesthetically or stylistically. At least put a choice between both. The new Humanist one looks really out of place.

Dizzy

• Zoner
  • How to catch a unique rabbit? You neek' up on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:15:38 am »
Wow, so surprised people dont like it.

The moment I loaded up the patch, I was ecstatic about the change! I think it is SOOOO much easier on the eyes. Like... by a HUGE margin.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 09:53:27 am »
Yes, that's true. New font is easier on the eyes by a big margin.

Dizzy

• Zoner
  • How to catch a unique rabbit? You neek' up on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 10:08:42 am »
Also just to consider Styg, usually the complainers take up the vocal minority.

But in this case it seems like 50/50. I vote to keep the Font honestly, or if it's possible allow to choose between the 2.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 05:29:56 pm »
Can you please at least consider adding bolding as an option in inventory UI fonts?

They are not resizable and are more difficult to read then old font. Just look into posted example of what merchants buy. Old font is clear to read and new is blurry. Despite old font being objectively smaller, it is thicker, making it easier to read.

The thing is, old font is "compact" and easier to read when font size is small, then the new thin font, since it suffers less from aliasing.
I'm thinking maybe just "bolding" of the new font would be enough to fix this. And only in cases when smaller font size is used. Larger version of new font is very readable and I have objective no issues with it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:41:44 pm by player1 »

ShadowRun

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 12:44:08 pm »
I found the old font impossible at low (normal) size, and *just* usable at large size although certain GUI elements such as the crafting menu hadn't been tested with the larger size text.

I am very glad if the font has been reconsidered and improved (though I have yet to try it - my Windows machine died). I can appreciate that tiny text dedicates more screen area to game play, but I think that maybe can be engineered better by user controls for resolution and numeric font pitch.

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 08:01:26 pm »
I liked the old fonts better but what I really wish they'd change for traders/merchants is the layout of the "looking to buy."  Rather than have it be:  "I'm looking to buy 4 leather armors, 2 weapons, 4 utility items" it should be:

"I'm looking to buy:

4 leather armors
2 weapons
4 utility items

for ease of reading/understanding

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 09:27:57 pm »
When we are at that, it would be nice if there is "A am generally buying..." as description for merchant to get idea what things will often buy, instead needing to create documentation for this on the wiki.