Author Topic: is the loot totally random?  (Read 2934 times)

NEvercalled

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
is the loot totally random?
« on: December 30, 2016, 10:03:26 pm »
i have looked into my saves and it seems i have a few good shields 600-800 and sniper rifles with up to 180 dmg. My spearhead 108 quality was around 100 dmg. Shield i created was 670.

Is the loot in 100% random or maybe it is possible to get some good equipment just by killing some given guys in game? Special armor/weapon is obtainable from some given npc. What about non special stuff?

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
Re: is the loot totally random?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 10:55:55 pm »
When it comes to humanoid enemies and NPCs, the items that they carry (weapons, armor, shields, etc.) are static in type but variable in quality. That is, a Lurker Cut-Throat will always carry a knife of some kind (shocksteel or otherwise), but the quality and economic value of that knife varies from playthrough to playthrough (unless you somehow reset the seed that generates the quality, I presume). It seems that the quality of a given weapon/armor drop will vary within a certain range, depending on the particular enemy in question, but this could just be a fluke.
Unique items are a little bit different, in that (IIRC) their quality values are static, as well.
Respawning, wildlife-type enemies obviously don't carry weapons and take their loot randomly from a pool of possible items and qualities specific to the enemy in question.

When it comes to containers like lockers, hack-able boxes, and barrels, I have absolutely no clue how the loot is determined. Sometimes it seems random, sometimes it doesn't; I imagine it's probably dependent on the specific container in question and whether or not it contains an oddity.

NEvercalled

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 02:53:56 am »
Thx for info.

So my idea to count on items is not valid anymore. I`ve seen many good hornets/shields/snipers rifles from drops. So i will say crafting is good only for heavy armors and spearheads with rr.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 10:59:06 am »
It's not only the RR spearhead. Dropped items will never match those of crafted ones, especially not if crafting feats are counted in. There are also some crafting components that never appear in dropped items. It's also documented in the wiki.

I really wish the enemy spawns and their stats were random to some degree.

NEvercalled

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 04:42:46 am »
yea but  when i loo for weapons :
from snipers you have spearheads - worth to craft
from AS the best imo is just the hornet in many cases - you can quite easy drop hornets with much better quality than you will most possibly get in game.
from SMG i used mostly the steel cat
(included gun nuts)

PSI users have some usages from crafted items but if you go heavy armor then again it is the armor by itself. Heavy armor to be accurate.

About light/medium armor for non PSI i was always able to find very good armor from drops and was switching only to regenerative vest out of combat to heal.