Author Topic: New weapons and items  (Read 5139 times)

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: New weapons and items
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 08:52:57 pm »
Stop giving me ideas! :D

Getting the dread out of Hephaestus should be doable with save editing... (requires working knowledge of the .NET binary serialization format, MS-NRBF)
Make a save right next to the exit and another one, say, 4 tiles to the west. Unpack both saves' global.dat and run a diff on them. Identify which of the changed bytes (there could be lots of unrelated changes) correspond to your character's coordinates. Edit the number to move the dread 4 tiles east instead. Pack the modified global.dat back to your save and go pwn everything.

Or if run-time memory editing sounds easier, one could try to find the coordinates in memory with cheat engine and edit those. https://i.imgur.com/1Bj2OHF.jpg ;)

Ha, did not think of that myself. Any gameplay problems you foresee with this trick? Besides being crazy OP. :P

Sniper rifles with a proper combination of frame/mods kind of fill the "rapid single shots" niche to a degree, I'm speaking about Spearhead and rapid reloader of course. Add a barrel retractor and it plays very differently from your standard 1 shot/turn sniper rifle with very high move/close range penalties.

Assault rifles can be made with a focus on single shots too, I beat the game with a build like this once. It's not as good since their precision drops pretty quickly over distance and there's no reason not to use a burst when the enemy is close enough.

Rapid Spearhead is still only 2 shots per turn and popping adrenaline is not enough for a third, so not quite what I had in mind. I do like this particular combination though, works really well with a 7.62 Hornet.

And yeah, that's precisely the "problem" with ARs. It's very much sub-optimal to go for a single shot specced build and weapon, especially since all the good feats are for burst fire. Point Shot is difficult to get with the 6 DEX requirement and Aimed Shot and Rapid Fire are merely "okay", nothing close to Commando or Concentrated Fire in combat power.

Edit: If we do end up getting energy rifles at some point down the line, they might fit into this particular role. No burst fire but strong single shots (especially with the new High Technicalities feat) with accuracy between ARs and SRs.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:16:59 pm by Hazard »

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 09:19:00 pm »
Alright. Now I just need to familiarize myself with Cheat Engine...

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 12:30:07 am »
I did played a single shot AR once - focus on critical chance w/ Survival Instinct + Focus stim + infused Rathound leather armor, with Blitz on top:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwGloJgVhGGYQEZQE4kI+mAWRZ-aiJwzEzj5EQRYgqnADstFr+eNAHCNCHKHABsfbtjRRmgmIzyMYKPCk5A

It's still weaker than a standard burst build (as individual shot within a burst can crit) but it's ok, nothing amazing.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 08:50:50 am »
I did played a single shot AR once - focus on critical chance w/ Survival Instinct + Focus stim + infused Rathound leather armor, with Blitz on top:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwGloJgVhGGYQEZQE4kI+mAWRZ-aiJwzEzj5EQRYgqnADstFr+eNAHCNCHKHABsfbtjRRmgmIzyMYKPCk5A

It's still weaker than a standard burst build (as individual shot within a burst can crit) but it's ok, nothing amazing.

I think it's pretty good if you use a 9mm Chimera equipped with muzzle brake and the blue scope for crit chance, and Commando, half your shots will crit at that point so you can easily get as many as 8-9 crits per turn in two bursts.