Author Topic: skill point / build ? for a relative UnderRail noob  (Read 12813 times)

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: skill point / build ? for a relative UnderRail noob
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 02:51:17 am »
A few tweaks and adjustments based on skillcheck caps and I'm now looking at something like this at level 19:

STR 3
DEX 5
AGI 5
CON 3
PER 8
WILL 10
INT 10

Crossbows 105 (140)
Stealth 105 (113)
Hacking 87 (131)
Lockpicking 105 (113)
Traps 105 (113)
Mechanics 50 (75)
Electronics 50 (75)
Chemistry 20 (30)
Metathermics 85 (128)
Persuasion  83 (125)
Intimidation 45 (75)

Paranoia, Snooping, Aimed Shot, Marksman, Yell, Kneecap Shot, Bowyer, Concussive Shots, Ambush, Premeditation, Elemental Bolts

yell seems so out of character though!  but maybe that is what makes it so effective, so startling coming from such an unsuspecting source

then at 20 I'm thinking I'll put another point into Dex to increase Lockpicking + Traps

and then use spare skillpoints at 20 to pump up metathermics 108 (163)

are there any statchecks in the game?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:01:41 am by drealmer7 »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 04:25:29 am »
Stachecks exist, in general for Perception, other are minor stuff like places you need to climb to get to - Agi.

Leviathan

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 11:00:31 am »
i dont see any point in merging crossbow skill tree with psi, at 19 level with your stats psi have to deal more damage and stuns than its crossbows counterpart

abandon crossbows, go for sniper rifles + smg or melee + psychokinesis

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 04:15:38 pm »
i dont see any point in merging crossbow skill tree with psi, at 19 level with your stats psi have to deal more damage and stuns than its crossbows counterpart

abandon crossbows, go for sniper rifles + smg or melee + psychokinesis
uhh, because it's how I want to try and play the game / what interests me to do / try - I don't want to do sniper rifles, or melee, or pyschokinesis, pyschokinesis is probably the skill tree that interests me the least in the whole game (less than mercantile!)

your suggestion doesn't interest me in the slightest, and if you'd read the thread, you'd know that I'm considering dropping metathermics for this build, if anything, but haven't felt the need to do it with the tweaks

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 06:38:20 pm »
then at 20 I'm thinking I'll put another point into Dex to increase Lockpicking + Traps
and then use spare skillpoints at 20 to pump up metathermics 108 (163)
are there any statchecks in the game?
Your lockpicking and traps are actually quite solid as you are.  You probably would see more benefit from either Will (for Psi) or Perception (for Crossbow).  As an aside, if you did intend to put your stat points from 20 and 24 into Perception, you could fre up a feat slot since with 10 Perception you don't need Snooping.
You already know I approve of investing a bit more in Metathermics in general, but without Pyromaniac you're missing out of half the fun of the school ;)  You can't set stuff on fire with Pyrokinesis, Pyrokinetic Steam, and Thermodynamic Destabilization.  And lemme tell ya, setting stuff on fire from the corpse explosions of ThermoD is tons of fun  :P  Getting your effective skill up into the 160 range means you'll overcome enemy Fortitude relatively often and might have reason to consider Pyromaniac if it sounds interesting.
Lots of stat checks.  You'll be OK for most of them with those stats.  Early on in the game you should wear Cave Hopper leather armor and boots to make the Agi checks in a few places.

You're still overcapped on persuasion.  If you took 10 points out you'd still be able to make every Persuasion check in the game.  If you put those points into Chemistry instead, you could cook thermite grenades.  Don't tell me that doesn't sound a little bit fun at least.
If you carry around the Jackknife, your current lockpicking and traps will be 130 at level 25.  That's also enough to pick every lock in the game.  Eat a Dex burger and you get 129 at level 20, just in case you're not planning to level cap.  And of course you can always use an improved lockpick to cover that one point gap.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:51:28 pm by TheAverageGortsby »

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018, 08:37:03 pm »
ohya, with my intimidation way down now, I probably wil drop yell and pick up pyromaniac, as it's always appealed very much (of course)

I've gone back and forth a lot between the higher PER + no snooping vs. lower PER + Snooping, and I think I like what the configuration is better with snooping

I want to pass all INT+WILL statchecks

and the current build is still just a general aim, and I'll end up final-tuning it once I get to level 15 while actually playing - so I'll not overspend on persuasion as I approach 20 and I'll find exactly what # I want electronics and mechanics to, and chemistry, and be able to put whatever extra points elsewhere (metathermics)

@gorts, you show enthusiasm for that grenade type with chemistry, but with no throwing skill, what's the point?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:42:25 pm by drealmer7 »