Author Topic: Hook me up with Energy/Chem pistol build please  (Read 6304 times)

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Hook me up with Energy/Chem pistol build please
« on: September 27, 2018, 05:22:19 pm »
I've never played either of these so either option would be fine, but I'm leaning towards Chem as my preferred choice. Also, couple questions - does either of these two weapons count as silent? What's the earliest you can make both options? If I remember correctly there's usually a Laser pistol in Depot A and it might be possible to make one before you enter there, but I'm not sure. No clue whatsoever about chem pistol though. And second - potential blind spots of each weapon? Anything that's particularly annoying, such as crit immune mobs that crossbow builds have to deal with?

I'll be playing on Hard as usual, unfortunately I lack the patience for Dominating, but if the build ends up performing well I might give it a shot.

Thanks in advance for answers.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Hook me up with Energy/Chem pistol build please
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 02:29:13 am »
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUKAwoIAwfCh0YAAAAAAFpaAADCh8KHwoc3wocAAAAAAGQIATFGwpFWWlkmYksRKWM

This was my chem/energy build I played and finished on one of my Hard oddity playthroughs, my usual guns for most situations was a Acid blob pistol and a Plasma pistol which melted most of the enemies I faced, but of course crafting the rest of the guns is a must depending of the type of foe. As for gear here was my setup.

Head: NV Seeker Goggles. Because crits make everything fun.
Armor suit: Sturdy Riot Gear + Super Steel Sheet + Super Steel Shield + Blast Riot Overcoat. I planned to use regenerative vest but I got better results using a sturdy vest for the Survival Instincts feat.
Boots: Infused Mutated Dog. I found the acid puddles annoying and in some cases detrimental in certain situations, if you don't mind them you can switch to Infused Pig boots.
Belt: Advanced catalyzing belt. Self-explanatory.

Some points of throwing to use grenades more reliably, another to biology until I reach to 50 to craft focus stim and mercantile to get better parts but you can pick another skill depending of your playstyle.

As for noise, I think I had moments where both make enough sound to attract attention, you can make your first acid blob pistol as you step on junkyard, I found a laser pistol in Depot A but it was very rare.

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 07:39:59 am »
I think your link is broken, shows nothing but ? in each stat for me :(. How long did it take you to find the Catalyzing belt? I'd have to wait until Acid Hunters for it, but I guess it can't be helped if it's super rare.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:41:53 am by bati »

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 10:14:59 am »
Ah, that was indeed the problem, thanks!

And thanks Yonaiker for the build!

edit: If you remember, what were your starting stats?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 10:17:47 am by bati »

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 03:18:57 pm »
IIRC it was something like this:

S: 5
D: 8
A: 3
C: 8
P: 8
W: 3
I: 5

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 01:13:38 am »
There is a guaranteed laser pistol available before depot A if you know where to find it.
*eurobeat intensifies*

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 06:34:45 am »
There is a guaranteed laser pistol available before depot A if you know where to find it.

No need to be mysterious, just say where it is ;). I've actually gone through Depot A about 3 times in the last week and I distinctly remember getting the Laser Pistol, but I couldn't tell you where if my life depended on it. If I had to guess I'd probably say it's in the building where Eddy's mysterious disk is but I'm not sure.

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 07:16:20 am »
yeah... planning out builds in this game is already super metagamey so I don't think anyone doing that's gonna be worried about spoilers, haha.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 06:25:48 pm »
Okay then.  Get on the wiki and look up Milton and where to find him.
*eurobeat intensifies*

crumbhouser

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 06:55:42 pm »
Okay then.  Get on the wiki and look up Milton and where to find him.
whoa. I didn't realize you could get to ol' milty pre-drill. Cool.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 09:56:49 pm »
Chem pistol aren't silent, as far as I understand they are pneumatic, and using gases to spit chem blob.
Maybe they are not as loud as .44 but still can trigger mob in close areas, checked it just twodays ago in location with Simon Peres.

I would gladly took Steadfast Aim, but requirements are still don't fit into character. I'm goinf to use Ambush instead.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQMQAwMKAwjChwAAAAAAwodQMgAAZGRkZGQAAABaAAAoASYpwprCkVoCVjMRSzFd

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 02:59:00 am »
Interesting build Fenix. Did you only pump stealth for specific areas and otherwise rely on heavy armor (riot or other kind) to get you through combat sections? How did you fare vs large psionic groups with only 3 con? Classic bear trap spam?

Mordre

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 05:39:58 am »
I wouldn't know where to start but all the builds posted here so far aren't taking into account High Technicalities. You gotta go all into Intelligence now for Energy pistol builds.

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 07:14:09 am »
You can't go all in on INT, especially at higher difficulties you need to have a solid PER to get a decent hitrate.

jubisloviu

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 12:18:12 pm »
For Energy Pistols i would suggest going with those stats at the game start:

STR 5
DEX 9
AGI 3
CON 5
PER 8
WILL 3
INT 7

-Put points into Dex until you're confortable with the AP cost reduction from the pistols, i usually stop around 13 because with a eel sandwich you'll be able to fire Laser Pistols for 10AP per shot, and fire 2 shots of plasma pistol per turn if you use Point Shot
-You need 7 Int for the crafting feats like pratical physicist and power management, they're amazing feats to have and practical physicist stacks with the circular wave amplifier when crafting energy pistols, wich means that with Critical power you can reach +600%~+800% crit damage bonus with a good Circular Wave Amplifier, and this gets further boosted with a Smart Module.
-I honestly wouldn't really bother with non-crafted energy pistols because they'll lack what makes energy pistols decent powerhousers, wich is the amazing critical damage.

You could argue steadfast aim isn't necessary if you have the patience of using the ambush feat, if you plan on using it you can drop STR to 3 and raise your Per/Int even further for more damage

I used this build for dominating and managed to finish the game only needing to spam beartraps in some few situations.
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUNAwUIAwnChzwAAAAAwodPMwAVUFBLMVAAAAA3AD8BJikeWjrCmhFLMQ

blind spots would be the following
-Crit Immune enemies
-Enemies with high Heat/Energy resistances
-Lower Range compared to other guns
-Unreliabily of the Electroshock Pistol bounces