Author Topic: Beginner looking for advice regarding Psi/Sniper build  (Read 8360 times)

Reallyhairydave

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Beginner looking for advice regarding Psi/Sniper build
« on: December 21, 2018, 11:01:16 am »
I didn't want to necro the other thread however this is a direct continuation, I have gone over the build Destroyer suggested and tweaked it based on the Junkyard Surprise change and my personal preference towards exploration (hack, lockpick, pickpocket).

Destroyer's origianal: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwGloJgVhGDYQHYQGYQEYFoelMXhhHoRq4yGECcAHBuqInTVRsBEQCwzlGHogODQR2iosdTh05ooAqLPhpEyqEA
My tweak: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUGBwMOAwjChx4AAABewocuNSsAVmBIFVkALcKHAAAAARkkFgIKNTcmKjM_SUsr

I am not a total newbie but this will be for a second run, my first is an assault rifle tin can again based on Destroyer's suggested build but with the same adjustment for Junkyard Surprise and the addition of social skills (there were a lot of leftover points), I'm in Junkyard for that playthrough so far and I'm really enjoying it.

Any chance for some feedback? I know I've slashed evasion to achieve my goal which feels a bit like hamstringing myself but I wasn't sure what else to go with

Thanks in advance :)

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner looking for advice regarding Psi/Sniper build
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:54:53 pm »
Hmm, not exactly a tweak but..

Lack of Thought Control so you can restealth in combat seems crazy if you're doing a Psi Sniper, you can use both Mental Breakdown and Neurovisual Disruption to restealth around enemies, then reposition to shoot them from afar and even Snipe them again despite starting combat a while ago.

Exterminator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 12:59:32 pm »
Hello! Just registered on forums to answer your question.
I'm enjoying psi-rifle hybrid on hard oddity right now, and can give you some tips.
1. You can ditch crafting, evasion and throwing completely and invest into constitution, will and thought control instead. Well, throwing can be useful for molotovs and EMPs, but it certainly not required.
2. Don't rely on perception and motion tracking goggles when you are hunted by death stalkers. They are sneaky as hell and will ambush you no matter what. Instead wear riot gear and low frequency shield emitter and take their sting like a big boy.
3. You'll SUFFER without traps skill until you have MD goggles or shield device. Overall, investment in traps skill makes the game a lot more pleasant.
4. As far as I know, telekinetic proxy can be used to trigger ambush. Will test it in a few days.
Here's my character build.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:47:19 pm by Exterminator »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 03:15:38 pm »
Granted I've never done pickpocketing or psi or a sniper before, but here's how I'd build what you want.

It'd be quite a bit better if you switched pickpocket for traps and took quick tinkering.  I don't see hit and run being good for a sniper, because you take move and shoot penalties and hit & run only works up to your normal maximum.  Locus of Control is probably the strongest feat in the game, so I hear, but if you don't care about it, you can use those points from will to give yourself some more int which will free up some skillpoints for elsewhere and let you take premeditation, as well as boost whatever other abilities you'd like more of.  When it comes to crafting, you'll want mechanics and electronics for sure just for your rifle (but also infused leather and an energy shield, respectively) and tailoring for stealth gear/infused leather, which is very important to a sniper.  I hear there's a fantastic new feat for snipers coming with expedition.  As for psi, as said earlier, thought control is great, but so is psychokinesis for stuns and force field.  You're lacking in crowd control, though, with no metathermics or very good throwing.

I don't really know how much pickpocket you need, but I've heard that 40 will let you get most stuff.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:17:30 pm by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

Reallyhairydave

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 04:59:18 pm »
Cheers for the input guys, to be honest I hadn't really planned the feats properly, just took Destroyer's template and fiddled with the stats/skills. I might try rebuilding with feats in mind (although I know next to nothing about psi right now).

Pickpocketing has been making life really easy in my current run, still under 50 so not at the 'optimum' (as I understand it) but I'm able to grab bullets/money/useful items as and when I need right now.

Crafting I'm enjoying on my current playthrough so it's not essential but I am liking what I'm seeing so far

With the psi skills I'd love to have all 3 although Destroyer did have some interesting reasoning for the numbers used particularly in psychokinesis on the other thread.

I may create two separate builds to emphasise psi and crafting, it's a shame points are so tight or I'd be trying to work social in as well :p

Reallyhairydave

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 05:48:38 pm »
Something I just spotted, a feat called "versatility", level 1 Int 5 requirement, 60% effective skill of your highest skill (guns/xbow/melee) is applied to the others, sounds like wielding multiple weapon types might become easier in the expansion :)

Reallyhairydave

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 06:17:34 pm »
Right, so first up we have the Locus of Control/mind control adaption of my first build, this time I have vetted the feats a bit: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUDBgMNCgbChycAAAAAwoczRDgAY25TF2XChy0AAAAAASQ_FAIqNTchMyZJSysx

Next we have the full psi/sniper build losing crafting but gaining mercantile and traps (the 8 points in persuasion are to get the better gun at the start, I figured it was a small investment for a .44 hammerer): http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUDAwUOCgbChygAAAAAwodwcDhQAAAAAADChy3ChwgAVys7AT8UKgJKCEkhNTEzJg

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 10:29:51 am »
Is this psi sniper build viable on dominating ?

I never went into psi but this look pretty fun.

If not maybe i'll try something like it in hard with the new expansion.
I'm Potoldski on discord

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 04:28:01 pm »
Done multiple playthroughs with PSI Sniper. Yes it is viable though not deathless playthroughs but who cares.

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 07:29:50 pm »
thank you i'll try it :)
I'm Potoldski on discord

Reallyhairydave

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 07:13:47 am »
Just started a playthrough with the full psi variant, haven't finished my first run but it's on a different computer. Liking psi so far

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 02:51:58 pm »
This was what I was running last time, tried to squeeze in some persuasion and mercantile but it really streches the build thin. I like persuasion for saving Buster and Mercentile is nice to have in general though.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUDBwMKCwfChwAAAAAAwodfbgAAZGQAAADCh8KHADcAUCs5AR0_KjUoFAUhZCkCJA

Damage compared to pure PSI or Sniper due to sacrifices to willpower and perception seems lower than it really is, it is in the 15% range but you do get unparalleled burst alongside a lot of utility,defense and CC and the ability to kill silently easily though you do get a little more resists against high resolve targets.

Main weakness are fights were you cannot initiate combat on your terms like arena (activate shields before going) and group figths were a stray grenade can kill you in one go like Scrapyard. Initiative is above average thanks to Paranoia but not great. Deathstalkers are a problem especially early on. Persuasion and mercantile are not strictly needed.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 02:53:54 pm by Sykar »

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 03:50:34 pm »
Do you think something like this could work or not at all : http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUDBgoNAwbChzgAAADCh8KHADIAAHNzDipnAC3ChwAAACtjKAE_NSoCLksKPWImMw ?

(i have never played nor psi nor sniper nor 10 con guy so it should be fun)
I'm Potoldski on discord

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 05:11:25 pm »
Do you think something like this could work or not at all : http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUDBgoNAwbChzgAAADCh8KHADIAAHNzDipnAC3ChwAAACtjKAE_NSoCLksKPWImMw ?

(i have never played nor psi nor sniper nor 10 con guy so it should be fun)
I would like to have a try with this base stat, and some personal skill & feat tweak: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUDBgoNAwbChwAAAADCh8KHTgAAAGxsDyplAC3ChwAAKyYrAShjKjc1CkszYmcCHw
Nihil sub, sole novum

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 05:18:05 pm »
Interesting :)

Is psychostatic electricity good with only 50 effective psychokinesis ? (Edit : well i suppose it is since even a low damage will trigger it, i'll consider taking it)

My idea was to burn ennemies with metathermics and molotovs in order to trigger ambush, but i don't know how pratical this can be. By the way the wiki says nothing about the "chance" to burn enemies with pyromaniac, anyone knows ?.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:28:53 pm by Ploluap »
I'm Potoldski on discord