Author Topic: Can't figure out what to do next / Am I underleveled?  (Read 4665 times)

Trashos

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Can't figure out what to do next / Am I underleveled?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 05:26:34 pm »
Tranquility is objectively superior to Psychosis on DOMINATING.  ON all other difficulties, Psychosis is objectively superior to Tranquility.  None of that, however, should influence your personal preference. They're both fun, and they're different enough that everyone should try both.

I don't understand this. Why does Tranquility overtake Psychosis on Dominating all of a sudden? Care to elaborate?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 05:48:48 pm »
I don't understand this. Why does Tranquility overtake Psychosis on Dominating all of a sudden? Care to elaborate?
The HP bloat and additional enemies.

On Hard and below, Psychosis can alpha strike and kill everything.  The "I win" button for Psychosis is Premeditation+Psionic Mania Cryo Orb; survey any survivors and pick a central one; ThermoD; TK Proxy; Psi Booster if necessary; TK Punch. If necessary, Adrenaline and then Electrokinesis to stun surviving robotic enemies like Dreadnoughts.

On DOMINATING, you can not reliably kill everything in an alpha strike, so you need to be able to do more things. Tranquility lets you do more things in a turn.  Combined with Thermodynamicity, Tranquility can often activate six or seven abilities in a turn. When facing really large groups with additional really strong enemies, you need shenanigans damage.  The flatter, more predictable outcomes and extra actions per turn of Tranquility let you handle things much more elegantly.

Of course it's true that if you're just going to abuse initiative and the AIs tendency to group up around a Force Field, you can just ThermoD+proxy+punch and probably glide through the game with just that.  But if you want to play a less cheesy, exploity version of psi, then you're going to put your self at great risk.  Tranquility manages risk better than Psychosis.

Felipe

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 06:39:12 am »
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?DQMDCgMDDQgAAAAAS0tLAEsAABkUABQZSzxLAAAAKyQ_OT0qD0dm

I'm copying this build: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwGloJgVhBmOQEZT3ogbCAHGX4mwyKEgCcALLgOxV5Klk6SamIFEnEz6jJIwQcsVJnIQQ5eOUxRa6NunjoYVNsnHJYQA
Wow, I really do not like that build for DOMINATING.  Blitz is a lovely ability but psi doesn't need it *at all* and AGI is a terrible place to put 7 stat points, even if you do want to play with stealth.  That's a quirk build, not a strong one.  I can see why you're having trouble.

Let's assume you don't want to reroll.  You've got the skill points you need to do well (though you don't ever need to put more than 75 points into Thought Control if you're going for 16 Will) so what you really need are the good psi abilities, and to make good use of the combos. Don't waste a feat slot on Hypothermia, it's garbage. Take Force User instead.  You should have taken it at level 4, but now you're going to have to wait to level 16 because your level 14 feat will be Locus of Control.

I just hit 16 and am currently doing the "Gas the Free Drones" quest, I took your advice while I was doing the Research Post quest prior and it immediately paid off, thanks for tip!
The extra 2 turns on the wall has been INSANELY useful so far.

paulkirikawa

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 04:36:20 pm »
Motion Tracking Goggles do affect Trap detection greatly. You can check this yourself by going to the Defense Screen (press "c", then the Defense tab) and you can see your trap detection ability on the lower right corner.

Also have the Trapper Belt on once you find it (or buy it) and hold the Jackknife while exploring (hopefully you did keep the Jackknife when you found it in GMS), since these two gear pieces increase your trap skill and therefore trap detection. I usually also invest 1 point per level to Traps for quicker detection, but it is not strictly needed.

Handy and easy, thank you.
Nihil sub, sole novum