Author Topic: Ranged enemies can still target the player while the player cannot target them  (Read 1301 times)

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
I can't believe this one is still around, guys, c'mon... enemies either need to use the same targeting routine as the player, or move in the same increments as the player moves, so that they STOP doing this thing where they are in cover compared to the player, but the player is not in cover compared to the enemies.

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
Hey,

I've noticed it too. When you fight the protectorate at port zenith, the sniper can still attack you even if you are on the opposite corner of the map in a jetski. And all his buddies are dead that could have been spotters for him.

-Azura
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
this thing where they are in cover compared to the player, but the player is not in cover compared to the enemies.
Aside from when you're actually on a jetski, there is no cover mechanic in UR.  That's a line of sight mechanic, and it makes sense that A can have LoS to B while B does not have LoS to A.  I do wish we could move in 1MP increments like enemies seem to be able to do, but the LoS thing seems reasonable, if occasionally irritating.  It seems that it is possible to get LoS on an enemy that doesn't have LoS to you, so the system may well be "fair".

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
this thing where they are in cover compared to the player, but the player is not in cover compared to the enemies.
Aside from when you're actually on a jetski, there is no cover mechanic in UR.  That's a line of sight mechanic, and it makes sense that A can have LoS to B while B does not have LoS to A.  I do wish we could move in 1MP increments like enemies seem to be able to do, but the LoS thing seems reasonable, if occasionally irritating.  It seems that it is possible to get LoS on an enemy that doesn't have LoS to you, so the system may well be "fair".

Why does it make sense, how is it simulated or explained? As far as I can tell detection and line of sight is calculated by drawing a direct line between the centers of two entities and seeing if there are any impediments along the way, this process should be perfectly reciprocal and not influenced by any concrete property of the entities like size or facing, nothing else is simulated or suggested as being simulated.

The only thing that could introduce an error is the line of sight code being different for players and enemies, and/or enemies being able to use special movement code to position themselves in rare spots on the map where strange things happen.

If the bug is fixed it should be fixed both ways, the main reason it needs fixing is removing the irritating moment where an enemy roots you and you need to check if you can actually fight back or his magical invulnerability has activated and he can snipe at you without even having to move around or having a human AI that uses tactics like breaking LOS on purpose.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile

Why does it make sense, how is it simulated or explained? As far as I can tell detection and line of sight is calculated by drawing a direct line between the centers of two entities and seeing if there are any impediments along the way, this process should be perfectly reciprocal and not influenced by any concrete property of the entities like size or facing, nothing else is simulated or suggested as being simulated.

The only thing that could introduce an error is the line of sight code being different for players and enemies, and/or enemies being able to use special movement code to position themselves in rare spots on the map where strange things happen.

If the bug is fixed it should be fixed both ways, the main reason it needs fixing is removing the irritating moment where an enemy roots you and you need to check if you can actually fight back or his magical invulnerability has activated and he can snipe at you without even having to move around or having a human AI that uses tactics like breaking LOS on purpose.

That's not how it works.

I'll look into this when I get the time. It's not a simple issue.