Author Topic: Versatility build - Chemical pistol / Crossbow Build (expedition updated)  (Read 18298 times)

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Yes, I'm not sure it's worth the feat.

Taking it late make it even less usefull since you will already have your moves to take down targets.

I have to test...

Infiltrator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Tbh Im thinking Strafe. This build is abusing corners, you'll almost never gonna be just standing and shooting, and in that case, strafes value is huge.

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Taking strafe has two interest indeed :
First, you can move and shoot without penalty.
Second, you gain 5 spec point that were previously put of Marksman (It does half the job as strafe)

Senaattori

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Been playing this character for some hours now. just got me the rathound regalia and started heading towards rails crossing. Im lvl 10ish atm. Problem is, everything is kicking my ass. unless I "wall enemies in" with traps and caltrops and save scum I will just die. I dont have acid pistol yet and cant really craft anything decent..  I've played assault rifle/sniper hybrid and full psionic before this. Assault was easy but got too repeteative. psionic character finished DLC and was nearing the end game without any problems. But game got bit too easy with that so decided to try this build instead. And its so different from those two builds Im bit lost.   

So I guess Im asking for some tips and tricks with this type of character. Will it get any easier or must I always be carrying 100pounds worth of traps to survive?

Infiltrator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Hmm Im about lvl 15ish and everything was easy tbh (playing on hard). I did make an acid pistol as soon as I hit junkyard and cooked shot around that time as well.

zion563

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Was reading your detailed guide on steam and had a question
you say:   
1. "Throwing - 0 : You do not need any points in throwing, anyway your utility stot will be occupied with special bolts. Sometimes, maybe, you will use an EMP grenade that's it. And with Surestep, you can throw caltrops at your feet, so you won't need it either."

However the build shows 55 (73) points into it (more than guns) and you use a lot of grenades no?

2."Tailoring - 0 : The two best armors for this build are the CAU armor and it's cooked shot bonus and overall good defenses and the Rathound king armor and it's speed bonus perfect for kiting. No reason to put any point in tailoring. Just look for good tabi boots at merchants."

Your build shows 90 (125) in tailoring-that's a lot more than 0

3. "You won't use psi, at least early and mid game. Maybe, you can put 40 points in Psychokinesis to get Premeditation and have Force Field and Electrokinesis to help you. I'm sure it's a valid option once you get a decent enough energy shield so that the loss of HP won't bother you."

In Build you take you take Psycho and Temporal-isn't taking Psi Empathy knocking down you health pool?

Thanks for your help-perhaps you could update the Steam post to your newest build ideas? I appreciate your efforts and am anxious to give this one a try!

Senaattori

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Hmm Im about lvl 15ish and everything was easy tbh (playing on hard). I did make an acid pistol as soon as I hit junkyard and cooked shot around that time as well.

Okay, well can you give me some advice on playing this build then? if its easy for you on hard then how you approach fights? how you handle multiple, say lunatics or ironheads at the same time? how much you prepare battlefield before hand, what is your opening move and so on.

Infiltrator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Well the OP probably has a better understanding of the build than me since he played it more, but for me the base premise is LoS (line of sight) abuse. Before a tough battle (3+ enemies) I usually throw caltrops between us. I initiate combat with a molotov, couple of shots with the xbow (incendiary) and dart back behind cover. Pop back when someone's in the caltrops, plop them with the acid pistol (or cooked shot if they are clumped) and finish them off with the crossbow. Top threats are taken care of with shock bolts when needed. If there are more enemies left, move out of sight, end turn, repeat depending on what happens. That's a ROUGH guide but a lot is gonna vary on cover, enemies, what level you are, what equipment you got etc.

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Was reading your detailed guide on steam and had a question
you say:   
1. "Throwing - 0 : You do not need any points in throwing, anyway your utility stot will be occupied with special bolts. Sometimes, maybe, you will use an EMP grenade that's it. And with Surestep, you can throw caltrops at your feet, so you won't need it either."

However the build shows 55 (73) points into it (more than guns) and you use a lot of grenades no?

2."Tailoring - 0 : The two best armors for this build are the CAU armor and it's cooked shot bonus and overall good defenses and the Rathound king armor and it's speed bonus perfect for kiting. No reason to put any point in tailoring. Just look for good tabi boots at merchants."

Your build shows 90 (125) in tailoring-that's a lot more than 0

3. "You won't use psi, at least early and mid game. Maybe, you can put 40 points in Psychokinesis to get Premeditation and have Force Field and Electrokinesis to help you. I'm sure it's a valid option once you get a decent enough energy shield so that the loss of HP won't bother you."

In Build you take you take Psycho and Temporal-isn't taking Psi Empathy knocking down you health pool?

Thanks for your help-perhaps you could update the Steam post to your newest build ideas? I appreciate your efforts and am anxious to give this one a try!

Indeed, I have to update the steam guide, the expedition and Temporal manipulation kinda changed everything.

About grenades, at first I was thinking it would be difficult to use both grenades and special bolts, and with experience I realized it was okay.
Anyway, even without quick pockets and an advanced catalyzing belt, you can manage with two slots.
First slot will be used with the most fitted grenade for the occasion (either molotov / emp / frag)
Second slot will be used with the most suited bolt, usually you'll use shock bolt which are damn powerfull and good for cc, but against some foes you'll use incendary bolts. Also, you'll use broadhead bolts (or serrated), against weaker targets because these bolts are less expensive and very powerfull.
Also, with the new bolt quiver, you'll have everything you need with that third slot.

Second thing about grenades that changed my mind is Temporal manipulation and Limited temporal increment.
With grenadier, you can throw a grenade each turn... And well it's strong. I choose to put 55, you can do with less to be honest, 30 is fine if you're okay with some more reload.

Grenades will help you in depot A, but the place will remain difficult with the build. The build really start to be powerfull at level 14.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:05:03 pm by Quidam Craft »

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Concerning tailoring, I had to drop hacking for it, and I do not regret it, most fight you can avoid with hacking, are anyway easy with the build.

It is good for multiples reasons :
First you'll be able to craft stronger tabi boots than what you can find in shops, but you'll be able to craft armor as well.

There is two choices, that I found for now :
-Antithermic Regenerative riot overcoat. (with supersteel sheet)
You can forget about stealth early to mid game (up to level 18), with grenadier you should succeed.
You'll be slower (around 3 square of movement), with proper positioning, it is usually enough to play with LOS. But especially with the Last update to riot gear, you'll be really resilient, you could still be oneshot, so you should still choose target smartly, but it's okay. Sturdy vest are okay as well.

-Black regenerative tactical vest (with or without supersteel sheet)
Here, you will play a Lot more with LOS and stealth. And if you choose to forget about super steel, you can still get 0% armor penalty with nimble.
Or forget about regenerative vest, take a Sturdy vest instead with supersteel.
Or choose to have regenerative plus supersteel and accept the armor penalty.

I'm in a current playthrough with a riot overcoat, and it work really well. I'm using a bit less caltrops (only for tougher fight) and a lot more molotov in wich I walk freely to lure ennemies in or force them to move around, taking a long way and wasting their AP.

I still carry around the rathound armor for the str bonus (sometimes, you want to bring a bit more loot home) or for stealth reason to set up caltrops.

Overall, however, I still think you can do without tailoring, but it really boost your defense mid game, and MP all game. Not a bad choice.
And there is phantom dancer as well that is good as well late game.

Another big change in the build is the drop of Quick Tinkering, that is not that usefull anymore. Late game, I was not using it anymore, anyway.

About psi empathy,
We're already a glass canon, 20% more hp on our small hp pool is not much and won't change the fact that we are weak anyway.

And TM is way too strong to go without it. Limited temporal increment and "haste" is really good.
Combined with grenadier and cooked shot, you have 1 CD on your AOE abilities... Well it's good.

However, I played with no psi on this character, and i'm sure it's okay.

I'll try to updated my steam guide ASAP and give you my last build on the character builder.

What I like when playing this build is that you always have to think on tough fight, move well and use the right tool or skill for the right situation. It's even more the case with the addition of grenadier.

It can be a bit unforgiving early game, but mid to late game is really fun to play.

The "worst" thing about this build, IMO, is that it can be hard to beat the final boss as your usual tactic is not efficient. So drugs, plus mutagen solve, plus very good preparation is mandatory.

I'm searching for tactics to beat the final boss a bit easier. I have ideas with crafted high caliber smart AA sniper that you may use with adrenaline to meet the strength requirement.

And i'm trying something with ambush to get 100% critical on the boss with special bolts,

I'll keep you informed once testing is done.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:58:21 am by Quidam Craft »

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Been playing this character for some hours now. just got me the rathound regalia and started heading towards rails crossing. Im lvl 10ish atm. Problem is, everything is kicking my ass. unless I "wall enemies in" with traps and caltrops and save scum I will just die. I dont have acid pistol yet and cant really craft anything decent..  I've played assault rifle/sniper hybrid and full psionic before this. Assault was easy but got too repeteative. psionic character finished DLC and was nearing the end game without any problems. But game got bit too easy with that so decided to try this build instead. And its so different from those two builds Im bit lost.   

So I guess Im asking for some tips and tricks with this type of character. Will it get any easier or must I always be carrying 100pounds worth of traps to survive?

On my current playthrough, I not use traps often. I Think I have a bear trap, an acid blob trap and a good frag mine "just in case". But most likely I won't need. Maybe for some specific fight, high quality emp mines would be usefull.

Your main issue here is :
You don't have acid pistol.
Acid gun is great to deal damage to robots / bladling / armored guys. Basicaly everything that your crossbow is not great with.
Plus, cooked shot ignore evasion, so you won't have issue against high evasion targets. And once snared, even without deadly snare, you can spam special bolts on snared target, at least you're kinda sure the bolt won't miss.
(very good against burrower spawn also... Thanks to acid on the ground as well)

So, making an acid gun is your number one priority.

Look for component at the junkyard and SGS chemical vendors, and build the best you can. Even a 30% acid gun will help you a Lot.

Against the toughest foes, snared and then molotov on their face, a snared target stuck in flame usually do not survive long.

Even worst case scenario, use burrow poison caltrops + acid + molotov.

It should take care of every target you may find.

zion563

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Much thanks for the explanations! I wanna try to use them in a note pad I'm using-currently it looks pretty messy with all the cross outs etc LOL joking. The Steam posting probably gets a lot of looks -it's where I started before I found the forums.

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
You are welcomed :)

I started to update the steam guide, I hope I'll finish it soon.
At least I've added the basics

I hope you'll have a lot of fun playing this build

zion563

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
You're welcome ;)

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMIBwMOAwgjN8KgAADCoGQASwAyWl9fRloAHgA3AAAtKxrCowFhFiLCkSnCgExqSyokMMKkJsK14qGkBeKoiAXisrsF378
(Updated version)

Concerning Psychokinesis at 45, it aim for electronic imprint. But you can just take 30 point to take electrokinesis (I will be usefull against some targets, plus it's a 100% chance stun). But it will really shine once you have premeditation.
Would it work without forcefield. I think, yes. It could. It work without any psi, on my first playthrough with it, I only took psi around level 22 along with premeditation, and I did not had much issue. But forcefield is really great to have.

Yes, recent changes to quick tinkering made me reconsider taking the trait or not, anyway, I'll take it a lot later. You already have a good way to root targets through a good acid pistol. Plus with grenadier / Temporal manipulation and Limited temporal increment, it's less needed early game.

If you want Hacking, there is multiples choices :
You can forgo Tailoring and play only with Rathound king armor or Chemical assault Unit Armor and Good bataclava / Tabi boots you can find among merchants.
(Just take enough to make molotovs)

You can forgo Evasion, and go for a more tanky way. You craft Antithermics/Blast Regenerative Riot armor with a good energy shield. With good tabi boots you will still be able to move 3 square away, wich will be enough in most cases to get around a corner.

You can also do without biology. You won't have access to good meds, good supply of crawler poison caltrops or the best endgame acid.

Also, a trick you can do. Since you will have High mechanics, you'll be able to craft a powerfull 12.7 caliber Sniper with a smart module and an AA scope.
You'll be able to use it without penalty if you use the rathound king armor (+1 STR) and rathound BBQ (+1 STR). And since you have enough in gun thanks to heavy Perception and Versatility, and Aimed shot, you can use it effectively. You will nearly never use it, but keep it somewhere. There is some targets that can not be snared (One in particular). and you'll be happy to do an attack with a lot of damages.

I've updated the build :
Added Power management at level 12 or 10 for defensive purposes, and also Quality of life with NVG and cloaking device.
Postponed Quick tinkering to late level. Feel free to replace with Pack rathound for more quality of life if you don't manage to deal with inventory management, even with the new lifter's belt.
Quick tinkering is not that usefull with that build. You can do without it, just take a lot of grenades instead !

Skills are not perfectly tuned, by the way (Concerning lockpicking and crafting), I'm finishing this run on hard to know perfectly where to go for dominating.
You should put this up at page 1

zion563

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
In  updated Steam guide you make a note about stealth: "Stealth - Put enough point : You won't need to max out Stealth, but it will be handy to lay traps and prepare the battleground before a tough fight. " With your update using Grenadier now and taking Quick Tinkering at lvl 24-is stealth not so important as it was?

Also Traps: Traps - 25, 50, 70 : You will need 25 to get Quick Tinkering and 50 to get Deadly Snare. Then you can upgrade it until 70 to be able to detect every trap and disarm everything as well.
This is changed also with Quick Tinkering at lvl 24

I realiz it's a WIP still, I have read it pretty thoroughly and am spotting some changes-I hope you don't mind. Perhaps you want toi make skill choice changes due to the QT nerf, not just feat changes