Author Topic: Getting the word out about Underrail  (Read 4628 times)

blackmoor

• Zoner
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow
    • View Profile
Getting the word out about Underrail
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:34:26 pm »
There is a growing demand for classic isometric western RPGs. So how can we create buzz for this game?

Obvious choices are Youtube, Twitter, Facebook and Gaming Forums (if allowed).

Is there anything we can do to help this great game be successful? Thanks for your ideas.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
Re: Getting the word out about Underrail
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:23:20 am »
Well, that's pretty much it, unless some big name on youtube mentions it (TheGameStation or the like). The way I see it, the game is too bare boned to get the attention it deserves, because, you know, it's not that much to cover. Once it gets into beta stages, things will start to change for the better.

I know PC Gamer mentioned it quite briefly in an article a few weeks ago, didn't get too much attention though, which is a shame.

BUT in the meantime, I'm mentioning the game on facebook for every update or patchnotes. As well as on the forums I frequent the most.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:25:56 am by nackidno »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:56:35 am »
I got to this game through a mention of the german GameStar Magazine.
I don't think it's ready for mass attention yes, though.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 05:22:52 pm »
The game's received good coverage on the RPG sites and decent coverage on the mainstream ones, and this reflected on the sales positively.

I don't agree with the statement that the game is bare boned. It's far from finished, but it got most systems in place, a decent amount of content and there are not that many placeholders left (mostly music and portraits).

My primary marketing concern currently is the Steam Greenlight campaign (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92962826) especially since the changes to the approval process that kinda work against these sort of niche games.

As blackmoor suggested, you can help the game by spreading the word through the social media. If you have a YouTuber that you follow and think would be interested in the game, let them know it's there. The game could definitively use more cover there.

For those who missed it, you can find the links to Underrail's social channels on the front page (http://www.underrail.com/).

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:53:47 pm »
By bareboned, I meant no discredit. I meant that the game only features a few hours of gameplay and that it feels "unfinished". When it comes down to it, the combat/skill balance is off, the economy feels underdeveloped and things are still changing frequently (small changes but still). It's hard to give a lasting impression or preview/review when the game you're playing is changing frequently, and it's better to wait for the beta when things are more stable and most features are intact. In the last half year, a lot of stuff have been added/changed and the way the game plays and how I as a player responds to the mechanics is very different now than it was then.

From a players point of view and in my personal opinion, I think it's too early for eg. TotalBiscuit to make a first impression for reasons above. I understand why you don't agree with me and I respect that but I felt I needed to explain myself a bit more in depth since my last post. :P