Author Topic: Need opinion/criticism on my psi-monk build  (Read 10067 times)

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Need opinion/criticism on my psi-monk build
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 10:40:54 am »
For leather gloves, you only need 14 Dex w/ lightning punch + tabi, or 18 dex w/o lightning punch (can use heavy armor this way)

You could do something like this (feat chronology is messed up cuz you can't drag drop it on mobile)
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMOBwoDAwYAHQDCoCgAAG8-AADCiMKRPSnCkQDCoABGeAAACCsnIFDChxIHPCYGSzETZ2Iq4p2NCuKitQLip74C4qyXAd-_

For last pick, you could grab either thick skull, deflection, nimble (if you decided to go medium armor) , or vile weaponry (more damage, should stack with The Claw, might overkill if you use the claw)
If you absolutely don't want premeditation, you could remove 1 int and put it into Agi and take Uncanny Dodge, could combine with deflection if you want more dodge proc.
You could also go more beefy by taking Increased Con + Bodybuilding, although you need to remove 1 feat

If you wanna go crit, I recommend max cheap shot crit damage specializations, since fist only has 100% crit damage, although not sure if the bonus 100% works with crit power or not, if it does, then it's quite strong

If you're starved for skill point, you could shave off some of crafting skill and calculate it with Crafting Bonus, +2 INT from hypercerebrix and under pie +3 skill. Although for biology, it's better to not depend on crafting bonus, because most high-end requires Deep Cavern ingredients
Your lockpicking and hacking is also too much, you forgot to calculate the bonus using huxkey, jackknife, and lemurian engineer suit
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:50:22 am by cypherusuh »

kakalbo123

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 02:10:10 pm »
can bleed and crit not go hand in hand together? (taste for blood, the claw and recklessness, crit power, cheap shots etc.?

I see you skipped expertise, is expertise not really worth it if you're going for a crit build?

Can con go any lower maybe 7 at most? or is it risky enough given that it's on hard and I'm skipping dodge + evasion?

I'd probably just go for lightning punch over heavy armor and 18 dex, I don't see the build as a juggernaut any way.

Btw, thanks for the effort to actually input it into a skill calc.

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2019, 03:49:13 am »
It can go hand in hand, in fact, it's better, since bleed damage depends on the main damage itself. High crit damage that proc bleeds will result on high bleed damage stack.
Expertise on crit build would be redundant. With high Dex, you'll have high enough crit chance, thus rendering expertise useless. It's great on non-crit high-hit build, such as SMG and fist.
If you're going for crit juggernaut, I think 7 agi and 9 con is the minimum, for sprint / fancy footwork and Survival Instinct. SI is just that good, especially for tanky build. If you're going high Agi low Con, it's possible. I'm still tryinhg my ninja build with 14 Dex max Agi, dodge, and evasion. Still at camp hathor, but so far it works great.

dddmemaybe

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 07:11:34 am »
Energy Shields (against most damage sources anyways) grants more health than Con can generally speaking, past level 10 at least. The main benefit of high hp, other than attacks that bypass energy shield, is that HP benefits from armor whereas energy shields do not, and can't be recovered during combat at all.

Con is alright, but high con is faarr better for armored/strength builds. If you have the psi for it, Precognition (not Premeditation!), can give a lot of extra dodge and evasion to an agility/dex moving monk build. Throw in Jumping Bean and Nimble and you have some alright dodging. Can't say for sure if dodging or con is more tanky, but agility helping you move more as a monk sounds pretty core to the build..? Also uncanny dodge will probably do more than con will at higher levels of threat, especially with insane dodge values, you can dodge like 5+ melee hits and have high-impact energy shield for more value. On the higher difficulties you basically have to not get attacked by enemies or die instantly for most builds anyways.

kakalbo123

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 02:12:44 pm »
I'm worried about how different Hard will be and if I can finish it without restarting a character, especially since HP values are different in normal and hard, another concern is if psi empathy and 3 con can be managed by max evasion and maybe a slightly lower dodge. One primary concern I will reiterate is with this hard/classic playthrough I also want to explore what I missed choice wise by investing in persuasion. (Can dodge be min-maxed if ever? Maybe 40 to get fancy footwork and uncanny dodge, after all if I'm reading it correctly, uncanny dodge lasts for one turn only so excess stacks aren't really good?)

Am I just overthinking it coz I'll be playing it on hard, but shouldn't the feats I'm taking: e.g. fancy footwork, pretty much negate melee threats unless they start first or close in with sprint? Which leaves ranged combatants as the deadlier threat, however if I can reliably craft shields + power management then I should be fine? However, I'm worried 0 stealth + 3 con + hard difficulty + psy empathy would make me liable to getting bursted down, not to mention I played a high dex + 7 agi as my main before, not all the time did I get initiative for first turn.

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 03:06:32 pm »
Without stealth, it would be much harder tbh. I played on hard with my previous build suggestion w/ force User, it's such a breeze tbh. Probably the fastest build I currently have, pretty much speedrun through the game without fancy gear / farming and managed to kill everything, including robots, from starts till core city (around lv 18, atm playing with full psi Social build for them lore). By the time you reached junkyard and (hopefully) get 60Q+ siphoner leather, it's basically GG for early-mid gear, just need to craft new gloves every now and then if you find some good leather and serrated blades

Imo, I like hard more than normal, simply because of the economy tbh. It feels a lot more balanced on hard overall, and the combat feels much better as long as your build isn't horrible, like maxing 2 or more offensive skill for example.
Although Dominating difficulty is in another level
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 03:08:24 pm by cypherusuh »