Author Topic: A blind laser pistol build (aka Stormtrooper)  (Read 15776 times)

Koveras

• Zoner
    • View Profile
A blind laser pistol build (aka Stormtrooper)
« on: December 23, 2019, 03:11:47 pm »
This is a versatility build, taking advantage of the DEX->melee->gun conversion, and using a laser pistol as primary weapon. The core idea is to dump PER completely, which may look like a terrible idea but is actually not a problem at all. Our gun skill is perfectly fine thanks to versatility, and we don't miss on any significant feat. This allows us to meet the CON requirement for Survival Instincts while also getting hight INT. This stat allocation (max DEX/high INT) gives the build high skill point efficiency, and it ends up reaching most skill thresholds in the game.

Finished build link:
https://underrail.info/build/?HgMQAwkDAwkZOQDCoAAAwqBKMEIwS2RCQFoAGQBGVgBCKygmwqMWMMKaYlpLKR8xwocqwrNdwoXCneKnvgXita4K378
Stats: 3/18/3/9/3/3/9
Core feats: Versatility(+10), Survival Instincts, Critical Power(+5), Practical Physicist, Hight Technicalities, Recklessness
Equipment: amplified efficient laser pistol, seeker goggles, infused rathound leather armor

pros:
- Very high and continuous damage output
- Amazing skill point efficiency

cons:
- Only starts working around mid game
- No defenses

To give some figures, on the finished character I have a 9 AP laser pistol (8 with eel sandwich). At 8 AP we attack 8 time on a single haste round (adrenaline or PTC) and 11 times on a double hasted round (adrenaline and PTC). The gun does 56-77 base energy damage, +32% unconditional boost from High Technicalities (+48% with hypercerebrix!), 88% crit chance (6 base + 30 SI + 7 Recklessness + 18 goggles + 12 infused rathound leather armor + 15 stim focus), 796% critical multiplier (Amplified + Practical Physicist + Critical Power). So, on a typical round, out of 8 attacks we can expect 6 criticals dealing about 800 damage each. If we go all in (hardcore chips, adrenaline, super soldier, hypercerebrix), factoring blindsiding in: expect 9 criticals dealing 1080 damage each.

The skill point efficiency is ridiculous: my character can pass all lockpicking, hacking, pickpocketing, trap, persuasion and mercantile checks, has max accuracy on grenades throws and can craft any useful item with max quality components. And despite having 3 AGI, he ended up with about 200 effective stealth.

Of course the character is extremely fragile and anything going through the energy shield is pretty much a death sentence. But nothing should ever hit you with high stealth, high initiative, Force Field, Stasis, and 6 killing blows per round.

However, the character does have one major issue: it takes a long time before it actually works. At the start of the game, versatility is too weak to be effective, the available energy weapons are considerably weaker than the crafted ones, no critical multiplier is 90% of our DPS missing, we don't have Aimed Shot and our crit chance is low. So, early on we play a suboptimal knifer/grenadier/trapper. It gets the job done, but it would certainly be a miserable experience as a first character. The build starts shining at level 16, and is mostly complete at level 26.

Final notes:
If you're new to the game, don't play this. There are better laser pistol builds out there on the forum. But this one is a little quirky and I like quirky builds. And it worked well for a full oddity run. As a conclusion, I'll put the full final fight log. Not as stupid as a sniper, but still...

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:09:41 pm by Koveras »

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: A blind laser pistol build (aka Stormtrooper)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 09:19:02 am »
I am currently playing a very similar build on Dominating oddities > Same stats distribution and just a couple of different feats and different order for them.
This build is not that hard until you reach critical power if you know the game (you will melee a lot for silent kills). It is the strongest energy build in my opinion and it can do a lot of things as you have a lot of skill points to spend. This is the real jack of all trades.

I was missing Skinner in my build and it is a good feat to consider as it gives a small boost to critical hit chances. It is possible to  reach more than 15% crit chance if you grind supersteel with it.
With body horror and hardcore chips, crit chances would easily reach 95%+ in Expedition (i am more optimistic...).

On a side note, I find useful to max throwing and go for 3 pointers.
There is as well a small trick to get an additional shot per round with Fatal Throw.

Why did you decide to spend all specialization points on versatility over critical power? Did you face accuracy challenge late game?

Koveras

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 12:59:10 pm »
Short answer regarding spec points: it was my planned allocation and I sticked to it. I don't know how it would have been without those spec points in Versatility, but in my playthrough I only had accuracy issues in the Black Sea, against locusts, submerged serpents and a certain ghost. For all of these there are easy workarounds, and I had 95% chance to hit against the vast majority of enemies (I also played on DOMINATING/oddity).

I'm still happy with that point allocation though, because gun skill gives damage on top of accuracy. As gun skill is not amazingly high in this build, it's less subject to diminishing returns, so the damage boost from Versatility specialization is quite noticeable. Some figures at level 30 with a 315% crit power gun:
  • 10 Versatility / 5 Critical Power: +20% base damage from Versatility, +25% crit damage from CP, +50% total crit damage
  • 5 Versatility / 10 Critical Power: +10% base damage from Versatility, +50% crit damage from CP, +65% total crit damage
While the overall damage is higher with full investment in Critical Power, it is not that amazing (+10%). I prefer having higher accuracy, as well as slightly higher base damage for crit immune targets. It's also worth noting that the build already overkills most ennemies by a fair margin. Still, both options are most likely perfectly fine. A few spec points in Survival Instincts might also be okay for those who value reliability and want to reach that sweet 100% crit chance.

Regarding feats, Three Pointer is clearly a solid pick, probably better than a few feats I chose (Last Stand, Skinner). I originally planned for it, but I just found myself not using damage dealing grenades at all after I got the build on tracks.

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 09:33:08 pm »
Good point for versatility that increases both damage and accuracy, I was thinking that difference in damage would be bigger between both.

What is crazy with this set up is that you can also be at low cost strong at throwing and strong at punching thanks to dex synergies (just potentially lacking MP for optimal use of melee). It opens up a lot of opportunities in dealing with enemies.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 09:46:23 pm by Sat »

Kiruha

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 05:20:42 pm »
Playing this build with some minor changes in feats and skill points and having a blast. I played similar build with ambush and 3 con before, and I like SI much more. This playstyle reminds me playing as a cowboy with 2 gauss pistols in Fallout 2.

brobotics

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 09:49:58 pm »
I'm really loving that work-around for survival instincts, gave me a good laugh when I fully understood what you were doing

Keep it up  :)

Richter

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 10:45:24 pm »
I used a slight variation of the author's build including chemical pistols and the XAL. I just dumped persuasion (the only thing it has ever done for me is to permit me to decide the fate of Junkyard, but here I did a pro-Protectorate run) and most psionic abilities* (mostly because I was fed up with them after several pure psi runs) but it is possible by min-maxing a little the subterfuge skills, forgetting about the XAL (to get the 30 skill points in dogde back and replace Escape Artist by Premeditation) to have every relevant psi support (TC 0 PK 45 MT 70 TM 70) while sacrifying a bit of stealth and traps / pickpocketing. In my case, with the previous stated choices, I was able to pass every Lockpicking / hacking / mechantile / pickpocketing / traps checks during the whole gaming WITHOUTH having to bother with any special gear. (I did not even pick up the damn jacknife!).

By far the most powerful build I have ever used. SI Psychosis looks quite pale in comparison! I was able to erase from existence any group of ennemies. Even F.C. was A JOKE. With a high quality high/high shield and the power management feat, I was able (after I got the initiative and culled for good half of his company) to stall their first wave and destroy the commander and most of the remaining force the next turn... I felt so badass. (Well a little less after a certain elevator encounter however...)

I was able during that run to stack some serious critical chances (seeker +20 thanks to a lucky loot in DC, Infused Rathound leather +12 thanks to skinner and a bit of Super Steel melting made easier by the serious amount of cash I got from 150 mercantile effective skill and a certain jet ski**... recklessnes +7 paranoia +5 base gun + 6 SI +30 Body Horror +3  Harcore chips***+5 Focus Stim**** + 15 = 97% chances to get the critical hit !). Had I the guts to be hostile with the faceless from the very beginning and get that superior quality leather from their enhanced rathounds, it would have reach the perfect 100%.

Also with either Super Soldier drug or an eel sandwich, you get 6 shots/turn with no haste, 8 shots/turn with either adrenaline shot or psychotemporal contraction and 11 shots/turn with both. The damages are OUTSTANDING. In fact, most ennemies take just one shot to kill... Somehting like 650 to 1000 damage points each shot ! (withouth any boost !)

The beginning was not that hard... In fact, it was the most fun part. At first I used a lot of bear traps and some grenades and any ranged weapon I could lay my hands on: I recommend to put some points in Guns though. To me it was necessary so i could take Mad Chemist and Cooked Shot (Really a good option to face the thought controllers which are trivialized this way)  early on. I switched to laser pistol or more precisely I ADD them to my repertoire after I reached level 14. I was unstoppable from then on (thanks to lucky merchant rolls and Coretech support).

So here it is:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMQAwkDAwkjOQDCoB4Awp9VL0JDS2RKSloAAAA3AABqKCbCoxYwVsKRYktawpopK8KHTsKzMV3CncKt4qe-BeK1rgrfvw

*In fact, I am PRETTY sure it is doable on DOMINATING without TM haste if you want to keep persuasion. So if you want to rollplay a charismatic non psionic genius gunslinger... Well, you would have to play a little more cautiously of course.

** In fact, it was total overkill. I was able to melt Q156 and Q144 super steel plates with 9k charons. With the rest, I could finally afford the complete house renovation. (Well, once again, a certain body laying in my basement DID stain a little my joy...)

*** Quite easy to get by the main entrance food merchant in Core City.

**** It is not difficult or that tedious to craft. You won't need it every single fight so you just have to save some organs from the rathounds massacres in the begining to cook it when needed later on.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:29:17 pm by Richter »

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 09:10:49 am »
Hi Guys, knid of new over here.

I did several semi runs (first one in normal, rest on dominating) and this build is exactly what I was looking for, I want to finish the game with it. I got some knowldedge of the game this way, but not total since I never went to expedition / got higher that lvl 18. Super fun anyway finding out the build that fits me (I tried tin can - Crossbow versatility - Sledge wizard - Spear thrower, and know this one).

1- I ony wanted to know what kind of adjustments would you do to stay proefficent at knife attacks. The idea is to keep using knife (Kurki at first, crafted latter) vs light armored targets, energy pistol vs armored guys. For the the moment I only added cheap shots at lvl 6, leaving same stat distribution. Do you think I am going to miss Ripper and or mobility for agi? Expose weakness? Does not seem so by having energy weapons as backup, what's your opinion on that ?

Right now I am playing as knifer and using that versatility to use all sorts of light guns as backup (having the chance to use those lovely uniques I didn't use in other runs), with cheap shots at lvl 6 and altering a little order of feats. Lots of fun. Plan is to max throw, get three pointer and even Fatal Throw late game to have all sorts of toys to play with (fatal throw makes me want to get Ripper, but again, do not want to lose those lovely INT points, never got that far into the game to know its effectivness in dominating tho).

2- If those changes are necesary to stay good with knifes, wich ones are mandatory and what would you sacrifice? 2 points in int and probably high technicalities to get ripper? Seems like a heavy loss all things considered. Would it hit damage outpout of laser guns too hard?

Thanks in advance

Koveras

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 12:44:07 am »
Actually, I originally planned the build with an off hand knife, and I ran some quick tests during my playthrough. It is quite nice, the build can be very decent with a knife by just picking Cheap Shots, as you did. The problem I ran into is simple: the energy gun will be vastly superior in most situations, if not all. The damage of the energy gun is higher, energy damage is immensely better than physical damage, and it has some range. What does the knife get you? More attacks, more accuracy, and a completely silent weapon. Nice, but not nearly enough to justify using it.

I think you should wait to be about level 16 and see for yourself. I'm sure you will embrace the greatness of laser pistols!

Here are a few thoughts on what you asked:

- In my opinion the least useful feats in the build are: Premeditation, Skinner, Grenadier, Blindsiding, Opportunist, Practical Physicist and Last Stand. They are all quality of life or minor improvements. You can replace them with whatever you like.
- High Technicalities is a crazy good feat: an unconditional 32% damage increase with the energy gun is just too good to pass, and it can be buffed to 48%.
- Dropping 2 INT for Ripper is okay. Keep High Technicalities, it's still 16% more damage. The real issue is skill points, as INT benefits many skills while WILL is practically useless here.
- If you use a knife and an energy gun, it probably makes sense to put 5 specialization points in Versatility and 10 in Critical Power, since Critical Power benefits all the weapons while Versatility only helps the energy gun.
- Fatal Throw and Three Pointer are very good, no doubt they will work well.
- Surviving in melee range with that build might be very challenging. Maybe consider a low frequency shield and the Parry feat (about 60% chance to block 40 damage)
- I mostly picked persuasion and pickpocket because it was funny being able to pass every single skill check in the game, you can pick these points and put them somewhere else. Stealth can also be lowered, as most of the stealth will come from the gear and the points invested in stealth are inefficient anyway with 3 AGI.

So, I would drop Premeditation, Skinner, Blindsiding and Practical Physicist to pick Cheap Shots, Ripper, Fatal Throw and Three Pointer, adjusting stats/skills accordingly. And I would transfer 5 specialization points from Versatility to Critical Power.

kamax3

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 02:19:57 am »
Crazy that you end up with just as many points in Guns as if you had maxed it out with 13 perception. So much synergy with this build on every front 🤯. Should call it the "synergy pistol" build 😛

I've been wanting to play something like this, but I planned mine out a bit differently. I'm wondering what you guys think about perks like steadfast aim, sharpshooter, and execute. All of them say that they work with "pistols" (Honestly I'd be pissed if these actually only work for firearm pistols since tooltip doesn't mention it..). It looks  like there could be a lot of synergy with these perks that OP's build is missing out on?

It also would synergize well with sniper rifles. I'd like to go for a highly intelligent energy pistol/sniper build, something like this: https://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgUKAwUKAwrCoGEAAAAAwo1QPgAham5FQ2oAagBGAABJMQErTTrCmlozFksmNREqwofCsynCheKnvgritJQF378. I'm assuming this is probably a more standard take on energy pistol build and probably nothing new, but whatever, thought Id ask.

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 08:09:45 am »
 Thanks very much for your response Koveras, good piece of advice. I will test my self, and probably also surrender to the power of laser pistols  8) !

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 09:05:46 am »
Last question, do you use polariser? Or since you are 1 shooting most enemies is a waste?

Koveras

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 12:33:10 am »
@kamax3

Yes, your build is closer to the "standard" energy gun build and should work quite well. It's smoother early on, but my build has slightly more damage in the later levels. All the feat you picked will work. Sharpshooter, in particular, is very good. I did not miss it though, I just don't have the required in my build PER ^^ Steadfast Aim and Execute work but are not amazing.

You should consider picking Ambush. It's not too hard to trigger in most scenarios (molotov to light the ennemy) and it will let you reach 100% crit chance. Personally I don't like playing with it, but it is a very strong feat.

Also, maybe try to reach the 14 dex threshold. That's an extra shot per turn in most scenarios (11->10 AP cost), which would be a very significant damage upgrade.

@l0cus77

My off hand is an amplified/polarized plasma pistol. High quality plasma pistols are good for polarization, because they are reliable: mine has 94% chance to apply 2 stacks. But there is only one type of ennemy in the game that requires it, in expedition. Just don't use the polarizer on your main laser weapon, it's not worth the massive energy cost increase (since it would replace the efficient mod).

sqeecoo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 10:03:55 am »
Koveras, I'd just like to thank you for your build here. After restarting twenty million times and trying out all kinds of different builds, I really think this one is the one I'm gonna use to finally finish the game. Thank you very much!

It really works well, you have the skillpoints to focus on grenades early, and once critical power gets going the lowly laser starts getting incredibly powerful. The lack of perception-based feats I haven't felt at all, and the mediocre precision is offset by the incredible amount of shots per turn.

I have a quick question, if you see this: should I join Coretech for laser pistol parts? I'd prefer to go with JKK for the vest and stealth gear as well as story, but obviously I'll take Coretech if it's the best way to get energy weapons components. I guess Constantine and the University dude sells them as well, I'm just not sure if that's reasonably sufficient to replace the Coretech guy.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your build!

Koveras

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 06:34:15 pm »
Hey, glad you like it! I joined Coretech during my playthrough, their merchant is much more useful for that character. It won't change much though, and JKK is overall easier to complete. JKK also makes it easier to get certain oddities. Don't overthink it, merchant RNG will screw you anyway and you'll regret whatever choice you made, this is Underrail after all!

Side note, Critical Power got nerfed but there is a sweet new belt in the game (Commando Belt). If you're lucky enough to get it it's probably better to spec 5 Versatility / 10 CP.