Author Topic: Ambush vs. Snipe  (Read 2163 times)

LeftHandManGary

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Ambush vs. Snipe
« on: March 26, 2020, 04:47:15 am »
Like it says on the tin, I'm curious as to what the actual differences, strengths, and weaknesses between the two are. At first glance I had thought Snipe was the better choice. However, when people began to modify my example build, Ambush always seemed to replace it. I intend to stick with Ambush for this playthrough, but it does make me curious.

What are the key differences between these two skills? I can see that Snipe does double and a quarter damage plus stealth bonus, with no crit chance, whereas Ambush seems to really ramp up the crit chance. One guy on reddit was flat out stating Ambush was useless, saying it was too situational and inconsistent. Are there builds that would benefit more from one or the other, or is one just generally better?

For frame of reference, I was putting together a crossbow/traps build, and it was a toss up between that and a sniper/smg build for this run, with crossbow winning out by a coin toss.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Ambush vs. Snipe
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 05:27:56 am »
Your reddit guy wasn't very imaginative.  As long as you take the time to find the shadowy areas, you can always make someone be standing somewhere bright if you set them on fire.  Fire's nice and bright.

The nice thing about Ambush is that once you build up to a high critical damage multiplier, it's a great way to get basically guaranteed crits.  It's also a passive, no-cooldown ability with no limitations like Snipe has where it can only be used while you're in stealth.  So you can get several Ambush shots in a row.

If you just want to see big numbers once when you smash your buttons, like some DPS class in an MMO, then Snipe is an easy pick because you push the button and you get a big number.  But it's never a crit, and when you're sitting on 200%, 250%, even 300% crit damage, well, Ambush starts to catch up or even surpass Snipe.  Again, and again.

You don't have to pick one or the other.  Get them both.  They're both awesome for a stealth playstyle.

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 07:32:00 am »
I am now playing a stealthy (guns) sniper, and have to decide just this, at lvl 12. It is a difficult choice.
Some immediate thoughts:

Pros of Ambush:
-With fire grenades, or a flare at point blank, you can create ambush points in dark areas
-100% crit chance is doable in mid game
-Works with sidearms too, so you can use other guns if needed
-Can be used every turn, even several times
-Also havles enemy evasion, very helpful

Cons:
-Fire grenades can miss and mess up your plan
-Some areas are fully lit up, or unsuitable
-Require space to move, useless in a brawl
-Useless against crit immune enemies
-No benefit from smart damage modules

Pros of Snipe:
-Crazy damage with high stealth
-Require no A-A scope, so you can get a regular w/+10% presicion instead
-Benefit from smart damage modules
-Works against crit immune enemies
-Good with all sniper types

Cons:
-Require stealth (not being undetected, you can restealth in combat and snipe next turn)
-Has cooldown

But how do we play in practice?
I play a mobile stealthy sniper with decent dex+agi, traps, Quick Tinkering, Sprint and Strafe. So high mobility, rapid Spearhead, hit-and-run-tactics, traps a vital part of both attack and defense. For this Ambush is great, really great.

Unfortunately, Ambush doesnt always work, despite creative solutions. And when it fails, you are in trouble, usually with close range enemies breathing down your neck.

But Snipe also benefit from for example Blindsiding. And we have Aimed Shot too, and need to throw grenades and nets, quick tinker traps and move around, so many shots will be special damage shots too, to benefit from smart module and smart lenses.

Ultimately, I can not choose, it is too hard. I take Nimble instead to have more stealth and evasion.

But later, I want both.

LeftHandManGary

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 06:36:03 pm »
Ah, fire. Is there any problem you can't solve?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 09:53:45 pm »