Author Topic: Beginner build  (Read 11480 times)

PereDodu

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Beginner build
« on: May 11, 2020, 03:22:36 pm »
Hello everyone,

After I saw the Sseth's review on Underrail, I decided to buy the game to give it a try. But the only isometric RPG I have ever played was Fallout 1 (which I finished) but not without helps and tips.

So since this game is challenging and unforgiving. I wanted to know what kind of build you would advise to a newbie.

I know by Sseth's review that if I don't use traps I will have a bad time, mostly in Depot A and I'm also interested by a character that could use both firearms and melee weapon.

Could you advise me on a build, please ?

Thank you.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner build
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 09:01:28 pm »
You don't need traps, but they are nice for a newbie.

Plan your build out, don't waste ability points; place them where you need them to meet feat prerequisites, and keep your main attack stat high if not maxed.  When you're selecting feats, click the box "show all" so you can see what to build for.  You get two feats at 1st level and one every even-numbered level after that, max lvl is 25 or 30 with expedition.  You can keep 8 skills maxed or you can spread them out; I'd say max them until you feel like you don't need to anymore. 

I suggest not looking anything up so you can play blind on your first run.  I'll say a few things though; psi is overpowered (but it's getting a nerf soon), mechanical pistols and throwing knives are the weakest weapons.  That said, you can beat the game with anything.

Don't play on dominating, and I suggest oddity for your first run at least.

*eurobeat intensifies*

kamax3

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 09:54:24 pm »
Checkout https://underrail.info.tm/build/ if you haven't already.

As mentioned, plan out your build and find synergies that sound fun to play for you. You need Traps skill at, at least, 25 I would say just for trap detection. Unspotted traps gonna be a bitch without it. You don't need higher than that though. A small amount of stealth will help a ton, even if not doing a purely stealth/assasin build. It allows you to initiate fights on your terms.

My first playthough I went with a tank/AR/sniper/grenade build, which ended up being pretty strong. Not saying to go that route, but it worked for me. Just make sure you take at least 7(or 8 ) str so you can equip the heavier AR and metal armors. One thing I wish I had known when I first started was the insane amounts of penalty associated with wearing armor (95% penalty on some armors). It almost completely negates any benefit from high AGI (lower mov, stealth, dodge, evade). So if you do go tanky, I would recommend to not invest to much in AGI/dodge/evade.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:56:19 pm by kamax3 »

PereDodu

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 08:40:57 am »
Thanks for your advice I will put them in practice and come back with an idea of a build or keep going with my character if I didn't messed up

Thank for your time and attention

Have a good day

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 09:36:47 am »
My advice as a kind of new player is, try to figure out the build that fits you. I like to think in this game as a puzzle RPG, with lots of ways to solve them (on higher difficulties witlower options, but higher and more fun challenge). Don't feel bad if you have to restart, you will earn knowledge for future runs.

The gems are imo: crafting, all builds benefit from them, so learn components, vendors, economy.. utilities (in other games you would save those nades traps etc for latter, here you really need to use all your tools) and stealth mechanic, that as said above, all builds benefit from them even with small or no investment (you can craft stealth gear).

An smooth first play could be normal diff with pure psi or tin can riffle. For me got boring soon and went to dominating and other "less efficient" builds, in the end it is a single player game, play it the way you enjoy the most, once you find it. Have a good ride!

Vokial

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 10:34:36 am »
Great game, but it's hard to get into it because of the challenging start. It's tough also because it requires a good understanding of how it works. So when you struggle, just trust in the fact that it'll be awesome once you get the hang of it. What's cool is that you can basically portray almost any character you want. You can even tailor it to our own preferences, or aim to make as close reseblance as possible to certain characters from movies or books. Try to make Solid Snake from Metal Gear or Nikaido from Dorohedoro, it's up to you.

Anway, I suggest that once you made up your mind, start with checking the feats, picking what you think you need, then set the stats and skills according to their requirements. It's important to make everything align with each other, so don't spread out too much.
As an example: a certain melee feat requires 5 will, a stat you might not find a reason to raise from 3 otherwise. But since now you don't receive penalty for your social skills and play melee, raising your intimidation and taking Brutality with a certain headgear that boosts up that feat becomes something worth to consider when wielding a knife. Or if you're a psi-monk already relying on will and can raise intimidation easily. So what's important in my opinion is to make a character that is as wholesome with ablilities connected to each other as close as possible and should be in good relation to the stats and skills. Someone with high dexterity should become proficent in lockpicking and traps with little investment and possibly wield a knife if choosing the melee approach. If it's knives then agility should also be above average for stealth attacks and dodge (even just for uncanny dodge on higher difficulties). See what I mean? One thing should lead you to another, each aspect of the build should be in harmony in order to make the most out of your character. This should also be reflected in your gear too like the armor components you wear. If your build has parts that stand out, they won't do you as much good on their own.
Check guides for skill tresholds, some you're not supposed to max (especially with items boosting them up), but some you should fully commit yourself into if you plan on employing them. Maxing the skill, taking the gear that boosts them further and feats that are more effective with higher numbers.

Lastly I have to say, that while there are tried and tested methods that you cannot fail with, a lot of different approach work fine. With correct fine-tuning, the usually shunned pistols can also prove to be great and even provide more usefulness overall than other weapons if they are part of a build that benefits the most of what they bring to it (firearm pistols actually grown to be my favourite weapons in this game). So make sure to do rersearch, spend time with the character editor, because these will make you start the game confidently as you'll be armed with knowledge and a plan of our own.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:48:24 pm by Vokial »