Author Topic: Zone transition failed (solved, kind of)  (Read 2433 times)

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Zone transition failed (solved, kind of)
« on: June 23, 2020, 07:44:33 pm »
Hi, so I started up a new game just now.
A couple of quests into the #1 rathound/outpost quest, I get this error "Zone transition failed".
Unfortunately, the error is very reproduceable, thus killing the game.

The problem happens when trying to pass from "Zone: ForlornStations2" (the zone with the flux controller) to the north (the zone with M'lan Ratula etc)

I have not experienced this kind of problem before.

Attached is the document "TransitionError-2020-06-23T21-20-31.txt".
I'd like to provide compressed savgame folder too if needed, but it is too large for this post.

Any tips on how to rescue this game is welcome, as I'd like to continue it. Reloading the only previous savegame, old autosave, unfortunately does not help, the problem persists.

If you need additional information, just let me know here or on discord.

(Edit: I forgot, clearing this zone is not mandatory to continue the game I think... that is good. Wonder what caused the error though.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 04:02:49 pm by Bruno »

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Zone transition failed
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 08:43:37 pm »
Some info about failed experiments to fix the problem for science:

-wandering out to different zones, then reentering and trying to cross to the zone with the transition error again: did not work
-turning off "autosave on transitions" in option: did not work
-restarting the game: did not work
-restarting the computer: did not work

-uninstalling then reinstalling underrail to another drive and folder: it worked!

I uninstalled Underrail via steam, then reinstalled it. The first 2 times I tried to reinstall, steam would not complete the installation, there was some kind of error in the finalizing stage.

I then tried to install the game to C: instead of D:. Miraculously, not only was the game installed correctly, but I reloaded my previous save that contatined the transition error, and it worked. I hope this can help others who encounter the same issue.

If it is of interest, I can also share that I have over 1000 hours in Underrail, and have never had this issue before. There are no active virus scanning on this computer to interfere with autosave either.

However, The zone in question that I could not transition to, "ForlornStations4", is connected to by the lower level, one of the new, random dungeons: "Zone: dun_lowLevelBunker1". Perhaps this is connected to the error, that there was a hiccup when generating the random dungeon or something - it is the only thing that is different from the other ~50 times I have entered this area for the first time?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 04:12:59 pm by Bruno »

Stavrophore

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Zone transition failed (solved, kind of)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 04:21:36 pm »
Game tends to bugs out when you save/reload VERY often in same place, especially when there's lot of enemies/objects like bodies.