Author Topic: Thoughts and Shots: Shotgun/Psi build  (Read 3134 times)

BiocorpShill

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Thoughts and Shots: Shotgun/Psi build
« on: July 23, 2020, 07:21:43 pm »
I'm going to start a psi hybrid run on the new experimental patch and am looking to optimize my build a bit. Basically it's a shotgun crit build that uses psychokinesis, traps and grenades. I'm unsure whether to focus more on stealth and mobility or go full tin can for better survivability. Also whether to use PK or metathermics as my secondary. It's my first time theorycrafting and it's proving more difficult than I thought.

https://underrail.info/build/?HgcEBwkHBgbCoEEAAAAAWlBfAEFgYE8yXwBkAEZBAEorT8Kdwq7CrWzCnm0awrAVKjvCkMKPSyRpZxkxYizCtcKY378
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 07:23:24 pm by BiocorpShill »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts and Shots: Shotgun/Psi build
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 08:33:45 pm »
I guess a few things come to mind:
- Shotguns are mostly short to medium range weapons, and psychokinesis is mostly short to medium range.  That's good in that it gives you full potential in your killbox, but it does leave you a bit weak at long ranges.
- Psychokinesis is mostly strong point damage and weak AoE, and shotguns are mostly point damage with a slightly unpredictable AoE.  This means your only consistent targetable AoE will be your grenades.
- Metathermics is mostly strong AoE but moderate point damage, and is mostly medium to long range.
- Psychokinesis offers Force Field for utility and brings crowd control in the form of stuns; Metathermics offers Exothermic Aura and brings crowd control in the form of incapacitation and - with Pyromanic - fears + DoTs.

I would say that either one is very viable, but how you want to play would probably steer you clearly one way or the other.

BiocorpShill

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts and Shots: Shotgun/Psi build
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 05:11:18 am »
I went back and made some changes after playing the game more. Now my main 3 sources of damage are shotguns, metathermics and grenades with TM as support and occasionally traps like caltrops and mines to control the battlefield. What I can't decide is whether to pump agility or dexterity. DEX has two feats, Grenadier and Leading Shot, that I think would supplement my skills nicely but AG gives more mobility and stealth. Any advice would be appreciated because I've spent too much time thinking about this.

https://underrail.info/build/?HgcGAwMNBwfCoFAAAAAAAGRiABxxZFE5aAAAwqA3RgBKMTsrP8KwPcKWLsKQKsKYbRpswp7CncKtwq5NFRbCpHLCtcKP378
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:14:13 am by BiocorpShill »