Author Topic: Dev Log #3: Real-time 3D Models  (Read 20811 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #3: Real-time 3D Models
« on: August 26, 2020, 02:41:08 pm »
Hi guys,

One thing that we wanted to overcome for a long time when it comes to Underrail's engine are the limitation of the prerendered character models, and in Infusion we're finally going to do it. Character and creature models are going to be rendered in real-time in a style as closely matching that of the (new) prerendered backgrounds as possible in order to retain the established visual feel of the game.

This is going to allow us to display the exact gear on your character, as well as NPCs. If they are wearing a crafted piece of armor, you'll be able to see exactly from what materials it is made (type of leather, carrier vest, metal, etc) and what kind of enhancements it has. Same for the weapons. Also, this will allow us to model the unique pieces to complete that experience of wielding something as awesome as, say, Balor's Hammer. Some mechanical changes when it comes to itemizations are going to follow with this change as well. I'm currently inclined to make the pants a separate slot and I also have an idea for another slot, but I'm going to talk about that more later down the road.

Furthermore, you'll now be able to customize your character by picking their haircut, facial hair (as well as color of these), and skin tone, and maybe even adding tattoos and other features on top of that.

Also, this will allow us to add a lot more animations to characters and creatures which, in addition to the eye candy, will also make the combat more readable as potentially special attacks can now have their own special animations.
Let us know how you like the new models.

Cheers.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #3: Real-time 3D Models
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 02:47:09 pm »
Awww my!
That is awesome.

Any kind of equipment we couldn't have in the past because it would have been an ungodly amount of work is potentially possible.
And it looks nice, I suppose, but I'd have to see that in game.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Barry

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 02:47:33 pm »
Amazing!

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 02:51:51 pm »
Aaaayyyyy!

Sweet models.

Pretty exited ngl.

Though a question pops up in my head.

Character customization.

Is it a planned feature? It would be certainly possible now that you guys are planning on those new models.

Well uhm...I still have 3 more questions about this.

Which program do you guys use to make those models?

And will the NPCs be reworked with those models or will it be player-only?

And last but not least.

Will it affect the base game when you have the DLC?
Because it would kinda feel like a different game if those are Infusion only. You know? Smooth animations and models in a side story for Underrail but pre-rendered images for the main game would feel a bit...off.

This is all from my side.

I wish ya'll good luck! Keep it going.

Have a nice day. Cya!

-Azura
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 03:04:28 pm »
For modeling we use Blender and a little bit of Zbrush. For texturing Substance Painter/Designer/Photshop/Blender.

All Creatures/Humans will be in 3d.

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 04:41:37 pm »
Well done, Infusion feels more and more like an Underrail 2 with all these graphic changes. And I'm quite sure it will somewhat give the game more attraction toward 2020 players that never knew Fallout and such RPG classics. And it's quite a good thing.
Also, it will help understand what gear our foes are currently wearing, wich is a very nice addition.

I'm currently inclined to make the pants a separate slot

However, on that point, I'm quite worried it will bring unecessary complexity. If a pants + Chest would just be a breakdown in two parts of the current armor, i'm not quite convinced it is usefull to add.
Boots as a seperate are nice because of all the movement things related to this item, head as a separate item, it's also very nice cause you can wear either google, mask, bataclava or helmet and all bring different bonus and some of them are kinda game changer (NVG for instance)
And belts, again, very nice, very specific and related to one specific gameplay element (Combat utility).

Pants, on the contrary seems to feel like a second torso (Unless you thought of something that is out of my reach now), and for that reason does not share the interest I found in all the former item slots. Crafting is already complex enough, do we really need to craft our main armor two times ?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:43:47 pm by Quidam Craft »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 08:39:32 pm »
We need a unique armour without pants so we can wear it with pride in the great, pantsless future!
That said, while I always like complexity, and more slots are nice, I do have to admit it would add something that there's no pressing need for. Maybe it'd be better as just a component slot on body armours that potentially adds some +/- modifiers? I dunno - anti-snake socks? Powered legs to carry all that metal plating?
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 08:47:09 pm »
I hope the game will retain the ability to turn combat speed up. One of the things I greatly appreciate about Underrail is that its combat animations can be very quick, leaving more time for the important stuff.

This is coming mostly from the (strange)phenomenon that isometric RPGs that go 3d generally reduce combat speed to a crawl at the cost of not so good combat animations.

Stavrophore

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 10:40:04 pm »
This is great, finally ditching that sprites.

brobotics

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 11:41:25 pm »
Glad to see you guys are trying to match the style of the sprites as closely as possible with the 3D models. There's a certain charm to the way the sprites move, even when idling.

Stahli

• Developer
  • Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 05:36:54 am »
Glad to see you guys are trying to match the style of the sprites as closely as possible with the 3D models. There's a certain charm to the way the sprites move, even when idling.

Some of the old animations didn't have natural movement or actions, so we are going to try to retain as much of that Underrail "charm" as we can, but also add much more details and improvements.

I hope the game will retain the ability to turn combat speed up. One of the things I greatly appreciate about Underrail is that its combat animations can be very quick, leaving more time for the important stuff.

Since we are not limited by sprite size anymore, animations will have much higher number of frames per second but actions will be faster so it will be close to original and a way smoother.
One button to render them all

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 08:14:25 am »
Outstanding!
What a quality upgrade.
Animations speed was already discussed, pants - no infomations to draw conclusions yet.

forum_enthusiast

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 08:24:11 pm »
Please add the funny brutal death animation from F1 !

nosaM

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 06:41:00 pm »
The models look great, but I do think the stealthy tactical overcoat does look a bit off when compared to the original. But that's just personal preference.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:44:20 pm by squirrelsforimprovisedbeating »

kamax3

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 03:41:04 am »
Wow! Still early but this is already shaping into something special. Can't wait.