Author Topic: Improvements to innervation mechanic  (Read 900 times)

Goromorg

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Improvements to innervation mechanic
« on: November 21, 2020, 12:42:26 pm »
All right! The recent changes to psi are pretty damn good, but the new system could still use some fine-tuning. Namely, the innervation mechanic.

Why is that, you ask? Well, right now all psi abilities are treated like they have the same power level (all of them take one innervation slot).

Is, let's say, Enrage really equal in power to Disruptive Field or Cryo-Shield?

What I propose:

1. Instead of innervation slots, INT should provide points of Psi-Cognitive Capability (PCC). One point of Intelligence should provide 2 points of PCC. This means 24 points at 12 INT (maximum).

2. All psi abilities should have a new property: Innervation Compexity (IC). IC should have three levels: Low (1 point), Medium (2 points) and Difficult (3 points). One point of IC corresponds to one point of PCC, of course. This way, the character with 12 INT will be able to innervate 8 strong, 12 average or 24 weak psi abilities.

3. Assigning IC to individual psi abilities should be pretty intuitive, I think.
    1 point: Disruptive Field, Cryo-Shield, Telekinetic Proxy, etc.
    2 points: Cryokinesis, Electrokinesis, Neural Overload, Telekinetic Punch, etc.
    3 points: Enrage, Psycho-temporal Contraction, Thermodynamic Destabilization, etc.

haze1103

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Improvements to innervation mechanic
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:47:00 pm »
I do think something like this could be implemented, at least to give players a reason to pick some "less useful" psi spells.
Another alternative would be to have "major slots" and "minor slots" depending on the Intelligence level, and some psi could only fit in major slots

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Improvements to innervation mechanic
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 04:26:06 am »
I doubt that Styg will make another big overhaul again. What we need instead are more options to increase our slot count and some QoL for innervating. Expanded PSI Capacitance alongside increased PSI reserves could add an additional slot which you can further increase through specialization. Alternatively, or alongside, we could get more than 1 slot through PSI headbands. What is more since there is quite a bit of tedium we could make use of profiles so we can swap swiftly without going through the powers 1 by 1 all the damn time and to top it all off we could keep the innervated slots from headbands when we swap gear just make it inaccessible until we swap back. It is infuriating that you lose that slot all the damn time because you NEED motion detection goggles all the time out of combat even on PSI Sniper hybrids.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:28:08 am by Sykar »