Author Topic: Stealing a jet ski before starting the expedition in 1.1.2.4  (Read 2126 times)

haze1103

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Stealing a jet ski before starting the expedition in 1.1.2.4
« on: November 30, 2020, 02:28:34 pm »
I've been searching information on how to steal a jet ski, but most of it seems outdated. Few seem to take cameras into consideration (I suppose they were added after Expedition came out), and the rest don't seem to be hitting some of the issues I have (more on that below).

In my current playthrough, I have enough Perception to get inside the shop through the vent. Once inside, I can easily steal a few items from shelves without being seen by the cameras. Ray's cameras are special, in that once they get their sights on you, their vision is 360 degrees, and have to get out of range to not raise the alarm. Getting caught is not an option I want to consider.

If I want to steal a fancy jet ski, I need to open the gate first, but the green button is guarded by a camera. This one can easily be worked around by entering turn-based mode, pressing the green button, and moving a single tile west before ending your turn. However, getting to a fancy jet does not seem to be possible, as I haven't found any tile that's safe from cameras. I may be wrong on this, but it seems it's designed so that fancy jets cannot leave the shop without raising an alarm

Fine, I can take a junk jet on the pier. The doors require 110 lockpicking, which I can reach with Huxkey, Jackknife, and eel sandwich. On the pier, again, is a camera, but in my experience you can reach the Freighter without triggering it. The Freighter requires 100 lockpicking without the Huxkey (the other jets seem to be 80), but unfortunately, I can only reach 95 right now. So, I entered turn-based mode again, ran to the end of the pier, and went back to real-time mode. Surprise, the camera does not reach the tip of the pier, and you can safely reach the junk jet. Making sure not to get seen by Aegis workers, I hotwire it, and ride east to the waters of the Core Ring.

Unfortunately, no matter where I exit, I land right next to a Praetorian outpost on the waters (with a certain guy named "Ludenloff", if I remember correctly), which seem to realize immediately that my jet is stolen, and attack me on sight. I haven't seen any other information mention this outpost, so maybe it's new?

So, I'm kind of stuck. Am I missing something that can be done on the current version? I mostly want the "Ray was stolen from" event, so maybe just stealing jet parts from his store is sufficient?

I've read comments say you can take a jet from the Protectorate, which I wouldn't mind doing for exploring pickpocketing some All-in, except I messed up Gorski's quest and turned them aggressive, and entering the docks in the back immediately puts me out of stealth, which forces me into a big confrontation. Strangely enough, even at level 22 with 400 effective evasion, these guys hit me 75% of the time, and my 3 CON doesn't last long, even with aegis and morphine.

I hope someone has figured this out.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 02:34:53 pm by haze1103 »

Arclight

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Stealing a jet ski before starting the expedition in 1.1.2.4
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 03:48:07 pm »
Since they've opened the area after getting the shield emitters quest, there is opportunity to get a good Protectorate one, but that will drive them negative to you.

haze1103

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 02:36:32 pm »
Yeah, that was already addressed in my post

haze1103

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 02:19:12 pm »
I found this clip on the Steam discussions

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/837040476

If you look at after 5:30, it turns out you can leave to the south, if you wait for the Aegis patrol to move. That's what I was missing.

So, totally doable, but it's more complicated than the current forum posts have made it seem