Author Topic: First Time Playing - Any tips on Building Pure Psi?  (Read 3735 times)

TheDude8D

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
First Time Playing - Any tips on Building Pure Psi?
« on: December 05, 2020, 12:18:50 am »
Hey, started a couple times and remade the character and I've settled on a pure psi build with maybe some throwing mixed in later. I originally went 6 dex but have switched to the 6 agility purely for the movement and sprint ability plus the added bonus of sneaking so I can get access to forbidden doors and rooms easier. Dex really didn't do much at 6 other than help out my lockpicking a little, some initiative (I could actually go before the rathounds lol) and maybe give me access to grenadier, but I thought it would be a waste. Any thoughts on this lil' level 2 build so far in terms of starting stats etc.?

Oh and btw, I'm planning mainly on boosting will, but will put a point or two into Con just to make things a little easier. I'm playing on normal and oddity for the first go. Also maybe to 12 Int if I need the slot, but I don't know if I will or not so I'll leave that for later levels.

First time playing so please no spoilers like, "Oh well this area/event needs this skill level so you want to take that" although some advice on soft caps is okay as it bothers me when things don't let you know stuff about diminishing returns on damage or other things related. Thanks!

https://underrail.info/build/?AgMEBgQDCgoAAAAAAAAKFBQUAA8AAA8AABQUAAAAFCsoOT_fvw

Goromorg

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 12:42:57 pm by Goromorg »

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: First Time Playing - Any tips on Building Pure Psi?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 05:56:02 pm »
Hey, started a couple times and remade the character and I've settled on a pure psi build with maybe some throwing mixed in later. I originally went 6 dex but have switched to the 6 agility purely for the movement and sprint ability plus the added bonus of sneaking so I can get access to forbidden doors and rooms easier. Dex really didn't do much at 6 other than help out my lockpicking a little, some initiative (I could actually go before the rathounds lol) and maybe give me access to grenadier, but I thought it would be a waste. Any thoughts on this lil' level 2 build so far in terms of starting stats etc.?
[/url]
Looks fine for a pure psi just starting out. Btw, you can ensure you go first if you initiate combat from stealth (by starting combat, not attacking, as this breaks stealth and then you have to roll for initiative).

Regarding stats, 12 will is in my opinion enough for normal difficulty, provided you keep maxing your psi skills and invest in psi-boosting equipment. You will get 6 stat points to spend in total, so you could get both 6 constitution (for the useful fast metabolism feat) and either 12 intelligence or 14 will. As for skills, I'd not bother with too much pickpocketing (maybe 40-45 for stealing in the areas you have access to now) with that low dexterity. Lockpicking is nice to have, on the other hand, while hacking is very useful. You could invest a bit in persuasion, because it synergizes with will and so a little investment will result in a high value anyway. From crafting, electronics is most important, because you need it to craft psi headbands. But crafting can wait for later, focus on stealth & psi skills the first few levels.

There are a few feats that will make the game much easier if you pick them asap: force user at level 4, premeditation at level 6 and thermodynamicity at level 8. Beyond that, experiment with whichever psi abilities you like and pick feats that improve them, and you'll be fine. Psi power is mostly from using abilities with the right combination, and half the fun is figuring them out yourself. :)