Author Topic: Another Stumped N00b Thread  (Read 8063 times)

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Another Stumped N00b Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2021, 05:53:46 pm »
Ain't the depot much easier than cleaning burrower caves, protectorate prison and lunatic camp though ? I admit i never did those before the depot, i can see how it can get you one or maybe two more level, not sure it's worth it though.
Depends.  Burrower caves aren't hard if you wear decent metal armor.  You don't need to have a high strength; your AP won't dip below 35, so you can throw on quad-plated tungsten metal armor (Assuming you can find the materials, you know) with 3 Str and have 0MP and 35AP, but the burrowers won't be doing any damage so who cares if you're slow?  Protectorate prison is easy enough if you have quiet high spiky damage; pop out of a vent, murder a guard, jump back in.  The easier of the two Lunatic camps can be done by anyone; caltrops, bear traps, and some frag mines will take care of the whole thing thanks to the double LOS break.

Worth it is largely going to be a subjective opinion.  I can't say if it's worth it to you, but if I were having a hard enough time that I was considering giving up on the game, it would be worth it to me to try them out and see if I could manage them.

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 06:18:27 pm »
okay thank you it's always interesting to see how other players play the game :) i did'nt know metal armor was this powerful so early in the game
I'm Potoldski on discord

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 06:38:30 pm »
i did'nt know metal armor was this powerful so early in the game
It's part of the reason I really like clearing out the prison as early as possible.  Metal armor + metal boots + metal helmet + shield emitter.  You can more or less survive anything in the early game without crafting a single thing for yourself if you throw on the loot you can get from the prison, and if you can be quiet, you only have one fight that's not one-on-one (it's two on one) against the guards; since robots can't open doors, they're too easy to worry about.

Massacre_Wurm

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 07:16:50 pm »

Ain't the depot much easier than cleaning burrower caves, protectorate prison and lunatic camp though ? I admit i never did those before the depot (i just stealth through the prison usually), i can see how it can get you one or maybe two more level, not sure it's worth it though.

I was thinking the same.  I mean if you struggling with mutans at depot A -  hunting burrowers and lunatics for oddities is not a way to go ))
I am currently trying AR + TC build from this forum. So i might as well try to get at least to level 9 before going to depot A. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:30:35 pm by Massacre_Wurm »

Olan-Zi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 03:38:31 am »
I'd tried clearing the burrower caves and lunatic camps before and couldn't make a dent in any of them. I think I also locked myself out of Abram's quests. But, with a lot of luck and patience and thanks to the advice you folks gave me (thank you all so much), I managed to get the drill circuit board (and get to level 10) from Depot A earlier tonight. The trick with the doors and molotovs was especially helpful, along with the siphoner armour and a shield emitter I managed to pick up during the Scrapper raid (I am really curious about where to find a crafting recipe for those, I'm assuming nobody in this beginning area sells anything more than component parts for shields).

It was a hell of a challenge and I certainly left several stones in the area unturned (not going back to that hell again until I'm a bit higher level with better gear). But I'm relieved I won't have to restart and redo my character completely again (for now; hopefully not jinxing myself there lol). I've heard the game opens up a lot more from this point on, but is it true that the game's a bit more smooth sailing (comparatively) after Depot A, or does it only get harder from here? No spoilers please, just wondering if my character still stands a chance even though it passed the Depot A test (I'm thinking I might need to spend a level just dumping points into stealth since I definitely have more fun with the game when I'm not always immediately spotted and ganked by all the enemies on the map, is that possible to do without crippling my character at this point?)

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 05:24:56 am »
In case OP still lurking, don't play oddities on first playthrough. It requires some serious meta knowledge to know where to get them. And without that knowledge, you'll underleveled on most place. Especially so on Depot A, where it seems like you need a lot of things at once

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 05:02:37 pm »
In case OP still lurking, don't play oddities on first playthrough. It requires some serious meta knowledge to know where to get them. And without that knowledge, you'll underleveled on most place. Especially so on Depot A, where it seems like you need a lot of things at once

Well if the question of the op was "how to make the game easier" that would be good advice, but i enjoyed so much the oddity system on my first(s) playthrough (even though i missed a lot of oddities) that i can't agree with this as a general advice :)

I'd tried clearing the burrower caves and lunatic camps before and couldn't make a dent in any of them. I think I also locked myself out of Abram's quests. But, with a lot of luck and patience and thanks to the advice you folks gave me (thank you all so much), I managed to get the drill circuit board (and get to level 10) from Depot A earlier tonight. The trick with the doors and molotovs was especially helpful, along with the siphoner armour and a shield emitter I managed to pick up during the Scrapper raid (I am really curious about where to find a crafting recipe for those, I'm assuming nobody in this beginning area sells anything more than component parts for shields).

It was a hell of a challenge and I certainly left several stones in the area unturned (not going back to that hell again until I'm a bit higher level with better gear). But I'm relieved I won't have to restart and redo my character completely again (for now; hopefully not jinxing myself there lol). I've heard the game opens up a lot more from this point on, but is it true that the game's a bit more smooth sailing (comparatively) after Depot A, or does it only get harder from here? No spoilers please, just wondering if my character still stands a chance even though it passed the Depot A test (I'm thinking I might need to spend a level just dumping points into stealth since I definitely have more fun with the game when I'm not always immediately spotted and ganked by all the enemies on the map, is that possible to do without crippling my character at this point?)

Well done ! Honestly do whatever you want and just think about how you enjoy the game the most. Mistakes are kinda forced to happen on your first(s) playthrough, there is so much to learn that even if you restart now you'll probably still make some errors... The good thing is that the more you play the more you learn and get better.  Especially about the crafting system which is really going to kick in after depot A if you invest some points in it.

About skills : They are all useful and depend on your build so it's hard to give general advice.

However one rule of the thumb is that you HAVE to max your main offensive skill (gun or melee, or PSI school(s) ), no question about that.

Other points you have to think depending on your needs.

About crafting :

- Electronics is the crafting skill i'd recommand for almost any build, so you can craft a good shield and googles (among other things you'll discover).

- Mechanic is also very good to invest in for most builds, for crafing good weapons (or metal armor). Even though there are some cool premade weapons, they are usually inferior to crafting or hard to find.

- Tailoring : very good, mainly for armors and boots, but not mandatory because there are really good premade armors you can find/that will be given to you.

- Chemistry and biology aren't as necessary, especially for a beginner "standard" build. CHemistry mainly serve for grenades and chemical weapons. 20 effective skill in chemistry is enough for gas grenades, which will serve you well for some tough fights. You can buy most things biology will offer you so i suggest you skip this one if your are starved in skill points.

If you get really frustrated with this character you can restart, but if things are going well i suggest you just continue to play to learn some more, and maybe restart later on or just finish the game with your character if your doing fine :)

Feel free to ask any advice on build quest etc...
I'm Potoldski on discord

TrouserSnake

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 06:50:11 am »
What would you recommend for a complete noob in Underrail that's simple and reliable to experience most of the content and understand the game?

Olan-Zi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2021, 04:32:54 pm »
What would you recommend for a complete noob in Underrail that's simple and reliable to experience most of the content and understand the game?

im no expert, but from trying a few different builds i'd say that an assault rifle (strength-based) or smg (dexterity-based) main with psi support would be your best bet. also invest in hacking and lockpicking, and complementary crafting skills (so probably mechanics and a little bit of electronics and chemistry), and maybe persuasion if you want more dialog options. i think that's a good simple straightforward build that will allow you to explore most of the game's content, but for learning and understanding more of the game's mechanics, playing with different builds and skills is a must. I know I've definitely gotta try a crossbow and traps build after this current playthrough I'm on ^^

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2021, 05:24:10 pm »

Use Koveras' Assault Rifle / Thought Control hybrid
https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=6057.0

For everything else, use my in-depth FAQ:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=843557165